Frederik Andersen is a top 10 goalie in the NHL

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah those .918 and .919 seasons are crippling, if only he had made a couple more saves he would be elite like Schneider. I hope you don't take yourself seriously because that statement is a laugher.

Until Freddy gets his October issues sorted out I am not comfortable calling him elite but generally he gives us a chance to win every night and he steals games. I don't need HF posters to tell me we have a good goalie.

Some of the lists of guys who are "definitely better" are questionable at best. Talbot? One great year as a starter, one solid one, let's hold off on that one. Fleury? Seriously? He's one of those goalies every year you wonder which will show up, the good or the bad.

There are a handful of goalies who are money every year at the top and then a big group that are solid but human and then the bottom guys who are just pure out gambles.

Freddy is in that second group right now but he does appear to have the tools to join the first if he can develop greater consistency.
So my comment about his stats being underwhelming for what is considered an elite or top-end goaltender (top 10) is 'a laugher' because.. why exactly? And then your rebuttal is to state that his .918 and .919 seasons are 'crippling' in a sarcastic manner to accomplish.. what exactly?

I supplied objective statistics to show why Andersen is not yet a top 10 goaltender and Im told my opinion is a joke because one fan of the team he plays for disagrees but has no objective stats to support his claim.

Interesting take, much wow

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So my comment about his stats being underwhelming for what is considered an elite or top-end goaltender (top 10) is 'a laugher' because.. why exactly? And then your rebuttal is to state that his .918 and .919 seasons are 'crippling' in a sarcastic manner to accomplish.. what exactly? Really?

I supplied objective statistics to show why Andersen is not yet a top 10 goaltender and Im told my opinion is a joke because one fan of the team he plays for disagrees but has no objective stats to support his claim.

Interesting take, much wow

Your indignation is amusing. Ok let's play the stat game. Last 2 seasons Anderson had save % of .918 and .919. Putting him .002 short of your arbitrary mark. A goalie faces 3-4000 shots a season (let's lean toward 4000 since the Leafs give up a lot of shots). So what you are saying is if he had made 8 and 4 more saves he would have met your standard. Really? This is a serious position?

Now of course last year Schneider had a save% .908 so even he fails your standard. In reality Elite goalies tend to hover around .925+ (more like .930 really) but a quick look at Schneider's stats quickly reveals why you picked your number. He hovers around the number you picked so this arbitrary number supports your position that he is elite.

I am not arguing your position that Anderson is not elite, I have already stated I do not think he is there yet and I am puzzled you could not grasp that. It's just that the standard you set is laughably self serving and very transparent.

You do not seem to really know what objective means. All it takes is "One fan of the team he plays for" to illustrate that. Hope that was enough "objective" stats for you.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Math and statistics are amazing when used in conjunction with the eye test and reviews of a player.

Andersen can easily become a top-10 goaltender if he can work out his consistency FOR ELITE/TOP END numbers. Just as an example of his inconsistency:

(I use Schneider as an example because he was brought up previously, any top-10 goaltender can be used for this).

Schneider had a bad year last year with a .908% while Andersen had a good year at .918%. Comparing game logs of both goaltenders, Schneider had 26 games under .900% and 4 games under .800%, while Andersen had 23 under .900% and 5 games under .800% (while playing 6 more games).

The reason for this comparison is to show that even in his worst season ever and possibly one of the worst from a 60+ game starting goaltender in the Metro in years, Schneider only had 3-4 more games under .900 than Andersen had, yet Schneider ended the season with a .908% while Andersen had a .919%. That is a massive difference in season save percentage but not that massive a difference in sub-par games.

If Andersen can become more consistent with his higher end games (.920-.925+) he easily is a top 10 goaltender. And I think he can make it there (which sucks because I cant stand Toronto lol).

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Your indignation is amusing. Ok let's play the stat game. Last 2 seasons Anderson had save % of .918 and .919. Putting him .002 short of your arbitrary mark. A goalie faces 3-4000 shots a season (let's lean toward 4000 since the Leafs give up a lot of shots). So what you are saying is if he had made 8 and 4 more saves he would have met your standard.

Now of course last year Schneider had a save% .908 so even he fails your standard. In reality Elite goalies tend to hover around .925+ but a quick look at Schneider's stats quickly reveals why you picked your number. He hovers around the number you picked so this arbitrary number supports your position that he is elite.

I am not arguing your position that Anderson is not elite, I have already stated I do not think he is there yet and I am puzzled you could not grasp that. It's just that the standard you set is laughably self serving and very transparent.

You do not seem to really know what objective means. All it takes is "One fan of the team he plays for" to illustrate that.
So once again you provided no statistics of your own, you just rehashed mine.

Ive posted some more stats you can take a look at.

He simply isn't consistent enough. And Im sorry to point out your fandom as I usually dont but when it happens to be a Toronto fan in an Andersen thread and you just attack my numbers without any basis - I make the comment I did.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So once again you provided no statistics of your own, you just rehashed mine.

Ive posted some more stats you can take a look at.

He simply isn't consistent enough. And Im sorry to point out your fandom as I usually dont but when it happens to be a Toronto fan in an Andersen thread and you just attack my numbers without any basis - I make the comment I did.
I think the thing you are not grasping is I am not calling him elite, how many times must that be typed for you to get it? So the team I am a fan of has nothing to do with my rebuttal. I am showing you your standard is too low so you can include Schneider in it. Your fixation on me proving some magical statistic for you grasp the point is beyond puzzling. What stats do you need exactly? You want a list of Vezina winners save %?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Radunske

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I think the thing you are not grasping is I am not calling him elite, how many times must that be typed for you to get it? So the team I am a fan of has nothing to do with my rebuttal. I am showing you your standard is too low so you can include Schneider in it.
Fair enough.

I dont make a standard set of numbers to exclude Andersen, I make the .920%+ mark as the golden standard for lower-end numbers of a higher-end goaltender.

Either way Andersen likely reaches that point this season or next and once Toronto improves that wishy-washy defense - itll only get better. But Schneider is a perfect example of what Andersen can become because Schneider lives on high amounts of shots (like Brodeur did), NJ's defense even today is questionable and previously was TRASH. Yet he still put up good numbers for a top-10 goaltender (minus last season obviously).

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
There is clear top 4 (Bob, Price, Crawford, Holtby). Freddy is in second tier (5-11th) At least he's better than Gibson.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Yes he is. He's 48th in save percentage this season among goalies with 4+ starts.(eliminate miniscule playing time)

31 starters.
Meaning he's the 17th ranked backup.

17th out of 31 backups is the definition of average.
Thus, an average NHL backup.

All teams have played at least 27 games except for the Bruins who have only played 26 and yet you are including goalies with 4 starts and calling them starters?
What happens when we look at only goalies that have played 13 games which would be true starters rather than trying to push a narrative?

1. Vasilevski .93
2. Crawford .93
3. Quick .93
4. Bobrovsky .92
5. Rinne .92
6. Schneider .92
7. Andersen .92

That puts Andersen in either 7th place or tied for 2nd, anyway you look at it that is top 10.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
All teams have played at least 27 games except for the Bruins who have only played 26 and yet you are including goalies with 4 starts and calling them starters?
What happens when we look at only goalies that have played 13 games which would be true starters rather than trying to push a narrative?

1. Vasilevski .93
2. Crawford .93
3. Quick .93
4. Bobrovsky .92
5. Rinne .92
6. Schneider .92
7. Andersen .92

That puts Andersen in either 7th place or tied for 2nd, anyway you look at it that is top 10.
What are you talking about? I was talking about mchilenny being an average backup.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Fair enough.

I dont make a standard set of numbers to exclude Andersen, I make the .920%+ mark as the golden standard for lower-end numbers of a higher-end goaltender.

Either way Andersen likely reaches that point this season or next and once Toronto improves that wishy-washy defense - itll only get better. But Schneider is a perfect example of what Andersen can become because Schneider lives on high amounts of shots (like Brodeur did), NJ's defense even today is questionable and previously was TRASH. Yet he still put up good numbers for a top-10 goaltender (minus last season obviously).

I don't remember this.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The way he's playing right now i would say he is a top 10 goaltender, he gives his team a chance to win every night and let's not forget that his playing for a team that gives a lot of shot on goal and quality scoring chances, the leafs are 29th in shots against.
Andersen is facing an average of 34.127 shot per 60 minutes with a 0,9221 save percentage thats top 10 stats to me.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
There is clear top 4 (Bob, Price, Crawford, Holtby). Freddy is in second tier (5-11th) At least he's better than Gibson.
To say that Andersen is better than Gibson is very debatable, what Gibson is able to do with that injury infested team is remarkable Gibson has a save percentage of 0,9208 compare to 0,9221 for Andersen but Gibson is facing on average 37.463 shot per 60mins while Andersen is facing 34.127 i mean Gibson is facing 3,336 more shots in 60mins then Anderson.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm thoroughly enjoying this hot streak, after seeing so many Leaf fans trying to unload him in the trade section back in October :laugh:

He is a good goalie though!

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’m just glad we can all witness the all star game which should comprise of the entire leafs roster since they are all elite.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I love how other teams fans have no idea that even a small subset of Leafs fan is larger than their whole fanbase.

Believe or not there's more than 4 Leafs fans and their opinions can be quite varied due to how many fans we have.

Freddy is probably in the 10 - 15 range. If he can gets his October's figured out with the rest of the team he could be knocking on the door of the top 5.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Hot take: Lundqvist is now a bottom 10 goalie in the NHL. Can't believe people have him in their top 10.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Good trade for the Leafs. He's one of the reasons why the Leafs were also winners in the Kessel trade.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I just find it amusing how many leafs fans wrote him off at the start of the year, even though he played better than his stats indicated and with his history of being a slow starter.

Amusing, and tragic at the same time.
It's not Leaf fans, it's hockey fans in general. People jump on any good or bad streak players have and give up on guys so easily. It's ridiculous

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Several leaf fans were calling him shit no more than a month ago. He also was terrible when he was playing for the Ducks, not worth picks or nothing, according to some leaf fans.
Anyway, I'd place Andersen in the 10-20 bracket. Better hope he doesn't crack in the playoffs I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad