Speculation: Freddy to Canes for Pesce and Reims

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I still don’t think Andersen is the problem. If we need cap space deal Nylander, he’s a luxury we can afford to part with. Use him to essentially fill our gapping hole on defense.

We already have Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Mikheyev, Hyman in the top 6 with the possibility of someone like Robertson stepping in with a little AHL seasoning.

Not to mention if we deal Andersen there is no guarantee they would be able to replace him with a better or as good as alternative. Our defense and team defensive play is horrid. Heck, I’m not convinced if you brought in Vasilevsky himself he’d fair any better. You put Andersen in front of a team that could play defense and he would be a top 5 goalie in the league IMO.

You are probably right but I bet the Leafs have already figured out that they won't be able to fit him under the cap next year. The obvious solution to their cap crunch is to move Marner and/or Nylander. This game Dubas is playing will not work. He screwed himself cap wise with those contracts and now he is trying to weave his way around it. Should have been fired after the loss to CBJ.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
We don't need to bring back a mediocre goalie in return for Freddie if you're going to move him at all. If you thought Freddie was that bad, we'll be worse with Reimer because he simply isn't good enough and no half season will change the fact that he isnt a starter. The only reason you acquire him, is to move him and make space for a UFA goalie

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
4 years of losing first round with little hysteria really. This hasn’t gone on every year actually. Correct on the media, they are jackA$$es for most part. Not all but there is loads of goofie media nuts. Hypocrites rule that industry.

I am not sure why you are going off because some moves are likely.

I;m going off because with Andersen in net the Leafs are the Oilers. A lottery team every year.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
You are probably right but I bet the Leafs have already figured out that they won't be able to fit him under the cap next year. The obvious solution to their cap crunch is to move Marner and/or Nylander. This game Dubas is playing will not work. He screwed himself cap wise with those contracts and now he is trying to weave his way around it. Should have been fired after the loss to CBJ.
I would have fired him for how he built the team. No character, no heart, no grit, no toughness. We have very little in the way of leadership. How do you expect to win in the playoffs? Can’t dance around all the opposing teams and avoid being checked.

Reactions: ToneDog

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I;m going off because with Andersen in net the Leafs are the Oilers. A lottery team every year.
yeah i don't get it either, fix the defence like we've all known for the last 2 ? 3 years?
Anderson has been a rock for them and only reason they've been in contention for playoffs
he's also best buds with Matthews which i wouldn't undervalue

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I believe this is the final year of the spend 1/2 your cap on 4 forwards flawed strategy, but it is very intriguing to see how this upcoming season will play out, to continue to try and prove everyone wrong.

We have seen the GM in action with his backup goalie situation play out, so now we might be seeing him in action with his starter.

I'm curious to know if dealing Freddy for Dmen help, and making Campbell the new Leafs starter who at age 28 has 23 total wins to his name career wise is his strategy, while his job is on the line with the results of this upcoming season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I CANNOT WAIT FOR FREDDY TO GET TRADED TO COLORADO, CAROLINA, DETROIT, OR VANCOUVER.

and then you leafs fans can spend the next 6 years getting trolled on twitter by newspaper writers and talking of TSN and Sportsnet everytime Freddy wins a Vezna or a playoff round.

I CANNOT WAIT!

You deserve losing. Its all you know. You cant think for yourselves long enough to find any kind of common sense.
What a very odd take. :confused:

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I CANNOT WAIT FOR FREDDY TO GET TRADED TO COLORADO, CAROLINA, DETROIT, OR VANCOUVER.

and then you leafs fans can spend the next 6 years getting trolled on twitter by newspaper writers and talking of TSN and Sportsnet everytime Freddy wins a Vezna or a playoff round.

I CANNOT WAIT!

You deserve losing. Its all you know. You cant think for yourselves long enough to find any kind of common sense.
Lol,what an imagination.:rolleyes:

Reactions: ACC1224

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Leaf fans are traditionally easy on goalies. Y'all liked Reimer for heavens sake. You thought Cujo was the best ever, and he was pretty average, then he went to Detroit and they thought he stunk. Andersen is pretty average, and a choker. I wouldn't miss him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leaf fans are traditionally easy on goalies. Y'all liked Reimer for heavens sake. You thought Cujo was the best ever, and he was pretty average, then he went to Detroit and they thought he stunk. Andersen is pretty average, and a choker. I wouldn't miss him.

Toskala, Raycroft, Belfour (booed mercilessly in pre-season), and that Swedish Monster f***er would all disagree with you.

However, your overall point I agree with - I don't think the Leafs miss Andersen if he's replaced by someone who gives them league average goaltending.

With league average goaltending, this team finishes in a divisional seeding spot and plays in the 1st round.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Belfour was good. Best Leafs goalie of my lifetime.

The most booed goalie I ever saw was Tim Cheveldae for the Red Wings. He was pretty bad at his job.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Leafs needs to move on from Andersen regardless. We’re not re-signing him anyways. He’s let in backbreaking soft goals every playoffs, especially in elimination games. He’s also atrocious during the start of the season, which costs us a lot of points to try and get a better seeding.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He’s to say if “Revenge of the Fallen” Optimus Reimer’s return would be worse than the movie or not. Tough bar to slide in below, but we might be able to do it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The easy way out of the crunch is trade Willy for a top defenseman with term in some fashion of a good hockey trade possibly. He doesn’t have to get himself fired. Willy is a top value right now when teams start projecting him off a solid year. I think you are right he has to break it up now. We had our look at this for Four years of poor playoff results and fully know team weaknesses that need fixing. Salary simply has to get repositioned to defense and grittier. Very doable but if he wants to be stubborn it will get him canned.
Evaluating the lineup currently existing should be exposing weakness areas clear enough now.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'm not a Canes fan by any means but, even still, this post really doesn't make any sense (or at least isnt based in reality). Canes are 7th in GAA over the past 2 years and 10th over the past 3. Toronto, on the other hand, has hovered between 20th to 25th. I love Freddy Andersen, I think hes an above average starter and better than anyone the Canes have, but they are certainly making do.

If the Canes want to acquire Freddy (or a better impending UFA in Raanta), it won't take someone like Pesce. Not even close. On the other hand, if the Leafs want to add a top 3DMan with term, its going to cost a hell of a lot more than Andersen, and Andersen 100% will not be the main piece.

Raanta not a UFA

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The easy way out of the crunch is trade Willy for a top defenseman with term in some fashion of a good hockey trade possibly. He doesn’t have to get himself fired. Willy is a top value right now when teams start projecting him off a solid year. I think you are right he has to break it up now. We had our look at this for Four years of poor playoff results and fully know team weaknesses that need fixing. Salary simply has to get repositioned to defense and grittier. Very doable but if he wants to be stubborn it will get him canned.
Evaluating the lineup currently existing should be exposing weakness areas clear enough now.
Literally this season was a cluster of the highest order. It's absolutely easy to free cap.
This fire Dubas BS is getting tiresome. Not happening, and people look like idiots for saying it.

Reactions: Kelly

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Literally this season was a cluster of the highest order. It's absolutely easy to free cap.
This fire Dubas BS is getting tiresome. Not happening, and people look like idiots for saying it.

So how do you free up cap space so easily without subtracting from the product on the ice ? Sure you can dump Kerfoot, AJ, Kappy and Andy and free up millions but you actually have to replace them. While you are adding scrubs and possibly a decent dman (how did that work last year with Barrie) other teams are adding top draft picks on ECLs and paying their stars market price. The AVs are paying Mac half of what Mattews is paid and have blue chippers waiting. We got Sandin/Lily and Roberston. If you can't see what a shamble Dubas has caused since he took over the team, I cannot help you.

All the 4 core pillars have proven in the playoffs is they cannot produce at the level they are paid at. If they can't do it, you can't expect scrubs like Goat, Engvall, Spezza, Holl, CC, Dermott, Marincin, and Soup to and they sure as hell did not.

Yup let's give the fool another year to see what else he can screw up. God help Leaf fans everywehere.

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
That’s because Cujo was elite while facing 45 shots a night with Toronto, and he actually was terrible behind a very good Detroit D.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Toskala, Raycroft, Belfour (booed mercilessly in pre-season), and that Swedish Monster f***er would all disagree with you.

However, your overall point I agree with - I don't think the Leafs miss Andersen if he's replaced by someone who gives them league average goaltending.

With league average goaltending, this team finishes in a divisional seeding spot and plays in the 1st round.

Raycroft and Toskala, especially Toskala, were objectively god awful. I think most realize Andersen is certainly not terrible or even bad, but he's overrated and chokes up softies, especially in gm 7

Reactions: Go4soda and ToneDog

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Whatever Andersen may be, without a rearmed defense, there isn't a goalie in the league that's going to offset our lack everywhere else.

For what it's worth, not the biggest fan of Trevor Kidd's time here. Raycroft forever and immediately tainted for me the day we trade Rask, who was so obviously over and above any prospect we'd drafted that it was physically painful to hear the news he was no longer a Leaf, brief as it was.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I see Carolina is on this list of teams running overages in to next season. I’d say they are in a bind and let them get themselves out of it with no help.
13 NHL teams will carry salary cap overages into next season - TSN.ca

An overage doesn't indicate a bind. Here's how they sit without making any changes to reduce cap space:

Forwards (12) assuming Geekie remains on squad and Foegele signs for ~1.3M: $41.2M cap hit
Defense (7) assuming Pesce off IR, Fleury signed for ~1M, Bean promoted: $26.2M cap hit
Goalies (2): $6.5M cap hit
Semin (LOL) Buyout $: $2.3M cap hit

Total cap hit: $76.2M.
Overage from last year: $1.3M
Total from those: $77.5M

Potential bonus's for next year (which if I understand correctly an be carry over to next year if need be): $3.1M

They can make it work fairly easily without making any moves to try to reduce cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad