Speculation: Freddy to Canes for Pesce and Reims

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This situation is a nice reminder of when the Leafs had Potvin and went out and signed Joseph. Upgrading their goaltending and then trading the surplus for an asset. (Berard). It’s a good opportunity.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At that time last year since Dubas wanted to find a way to re-sign both Kapanen and Johnsson, why would he have included Kapanen and their 2020 1st round pick to get rid of Marleau, even if they would have got back Brett Pesce in return.

Let's not forget it was reported how Dubas offered Kapanen to Carolina for the 13th overall pick that they got for buying out Marleau and they obviously said no to that.
I wouldn’t give the canes the time of day. Western conference needs things too

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This situation is a nice reminder of when the Leafs had Potvin and went out and signed Joseph. Upgrading their goaltending and then trading the surplus for an asset. (Berard). It’s a good opportunity.
The one difference is Toronto had missed the playoffs in 1997 and 1998 with Potvin as their #1 Goalie and it's why they signed Joseph. Since Andersen has been in Toronto they made the playoffs in 2017, 2018, 2019 and the qualifying round in 2020. However he hasn't had any playoff success and is 0-3 in winner take all games during that time frame which was Game 7 in 2018 and 2019, along with Game 5 in 2020.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The one difference is Toronto had missed the playoffs in 1997 and 1998 with Potvin as their #1 Goalie and it's why they signed Joseph. Since Andersen has been in Toronto they made the playoffs in 2017, 2018, 2019 and the qualifying round in 2020. However he hasn't had any playoff success and is 0-3 in winner take all games during that time frame which was Game 7 in 2018 and 2019, along with Game 5 in 2020.

Teams can change their goalie whenever there’s an opportunity to make the team better. Andersen only has one year left too so we either have to extend him or he walks and we miss the window with this goalie crop and all the prepper teams that need to organize their depth charts before expansion.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
There was a recent report that Waddell said he is in the process and or wants to; re-sign Svechnikov and Hamilton. Stating both are important players to the Canes. If the Canes do manage to re-sign Hamilton; Pesce seems more likely to get traded especially with expansion on the horizon. If the Canes protect 4 D;

Hamilton'
Pesce
Skjei
Slavin

They will expose some quality forwards, especially with Staal having to be protected due to his NMC.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
UNFORTUNATELY, Leafs fans .....

NOT SAFE FOR WORK TWEET REMOVED

If the Leafs traded Freddy for a 1st and thats it, I will be officially switching allegiances to another NHL team. This fan base deserves losing and will never learn.

and then there is this guy...........

- Lehner, 30, 1 good season
- Markstrom, 30, 1 good season
- Talbot, 1 sub 3.00 GAA season in the last 4 years.
- Holby, declining so fast WSH wont even give him a contract offer
- Khudobin,Greiss no pedigree. play on defense minded teams, Leafs are not that and they wont ever be

SO really what are the options past Andersen if they move on from him?

Leafs sign a 2-3M goalie and he platoons with Campbell.

I understand that the platoon goalies situation is picking up steam around the NHL, but look at the goalies.....Rask signed cheap and he platoons (vezna caliber), Ben Bishop signed to $4.9M and platoons (jennings winner).

WHEN will this fan base learn. IT CANNOT BE BLOW IT UP and trade everyone every year!

How much playoff success has Claude Giroux had in PHI?
How much playoff success has Stamks/Hedman had? they have been together for 11 years. 7 years if you include Kucherov
How long did SJ keep their core together and well past their primes?
How long has NSH stuck with their core?
Ovie/Backstrom didnt get past the 2nd round of the playoffs for over a decade.

the media and this fan base would have blown up all these teams 3 times over.

Matthews/Tavares have been together for 2 seasons and its "we cant win with these guys". trade em

The same media guys that write for the newspapers and spew nonsense on tv for TSN and Sportsnet that were tweeting the other night, Leo Komarov and Matt Martin scored "remember these guys Toronto?" were the same ones writing articles about the Leafs need to move on from these obsolete TYPES of players and to pay the talent. Move in a new direction that the NHL is going in. Speed and Skill.

TELL ME I'M LYING

Andersen has lost every single deciding game he has played.

TELL ME I AM LYING!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Why exactly would Carolina do this for 1 year of Freddie? If it’s for multiple years maybe, but Andersen May demand a large sum which a notoriously cheap team like Carolina I can’t see doing

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

HC7

May 2, 2018
Why tf are stupid f***ing proposals like this clogging up the board?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Why exactly would Carolina do this for 1 year of Freddie? If it’s for multiple years maybe, but Andersen May demand a large sum which a notoriously cheap team like Carolina I can’t see doing

Like the Leafs, I think they also want a shake-up after getting hammered by the Bruins again...Reimer also has 1 year left in his contract...maybe they think that their defense in front of Freddy makes them a better team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Optimus Reim is destined to return and redeem himself.

Had the chance of being one of the best nicknames.... Joe Bowen insisting on the nickname he coined "Reiminister of defense"kept preventing optimus from catching on.... (I like you Bowen but a terrible nickname). Also... the masks were generally terrible.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Like the Leafs, I think they also want a shake-up after getting hammered by the Bruins again...Reimer also has 1 year left in his contract...maybe they think that their defense in front of Freddy makes them a better team.
Goaltending isn’t the reason they got hammered though. Bruins totally manhandled them on the ice. A new goalie isn’t going to fix that.
While the defense looks great on paper and overall gives up less shots, under Brindy they play more aggressively and give up a lot of HD chances. The Canes HDCA/60 was worse than the Leafs the past 2 years. Andersen would be an upgrade, but there are a lot of other faults with the team that many gloss over.

Reactions: ToneDog

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I’m not for trading Andersen. I say we keep him. Better the devil you know. I doubt we’d be able to acquire an upgrade anyways.

I don’t believe Andersen has been the problem. Our defense has sucked for years, not to mention our defensive system has been none existent. Yet somehow Andersen gets the blame. Hockey is a team sport. I think most people forget that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m not for trading Andersen. I say we keep him. Better the devil you know. I doubt we’d be able to acquire an upgrade anyways.

I don’t believe Andersen has been the problem. Our defense has sucked for years, not to mention our defensive system has been none existent. Yet somehow Andersen gets the blame. Hockey is a team sport. I think most people forget that.

Too much smoke out there for Dubas not to be seriously shopping him. The plan is now to free up cap space from the goal and bottom 6 in order to upgrade the D.

Kind of reminds me of The Little Dutch boy trying to plug the leaks in the dyke with his fingers because he wants to stick with the big 4 who have proven nothing.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Too much smoke out there for Dubas not to be seriously shopping him. The plan is now to free up cap space from the goal and bottom 6 in order to upgrade the D.

Kind of reminds me of The Little Dutch boy trying to plug the leaks in the dyke with his fingers because he wants to stick with the big 4 who have proven nothing.
I still don’t think Andersen is the problem. If we need cap space deal Nylander, he’s a luxury we can afford to part with. Use him to essentially fill our gapping hole on defense.

We already have Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Mikheyev, Hyman in the top 6 with the possibility of someone like Robertson stepping in with a little AHL seasoning.

Not to mention if we deal Andersen there is no guarantee they would be able to replace him with a better or as good as alternative. Our defense and team defensive play is horrid. Heck, I’m not convinced if you brought in Vasilevsky himself he’d fair any better. You put Andersen in front of a team that could play defense and he would be a top 5 goalie in the league IMO.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad