Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
I really wish we could ditch Leo, Roamin Roman, and Bozak and replace them with Goat, Kappy and any other D-man.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Moore moves around just fine aimlessness is the problem. He has such low IQ its not possible.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So close to my dream c depth of

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Goat

If babs won’t let that happen and Tavares isn’t an option (lol) then I could go with backlunf

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Has anyone thought of putting Gauthier on D?
I highly doubt he has the adequate 4-way mobility to be a strong defenseman. I haven't seen enough of him skating backwards, but judging by his general skating, I wouldn't be optimistic that he has adequate edge-work while going backward to be more than a moving pylon.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I highly doubt he has the adequate 4-way mobility to be a strong defenseman. I haven't seen enough of him skating backwards, but judging by his general skating, I wouldn't be optimistic that he has adequate edge-work while going backward to be more than a moving pylon.

That would be my fear as well. But at this point it's really just a question of "would he have been better at defence?" because it's much too late for him to start over now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That would be my fear as well. But at this point it's really just a question of "would he have been better at defence?" because it's much too late for him to start over now.

I am always surprised that the fact that moving him to defense takes away some of his best abilities - Forechecking and faceoffs - is never mentioned.

Why is this even being mentioned? He is a great 4C. Wins draws, great defensively, and like Martin, has an underrated ability to generate offense. He is starting to use his size a lot more and his skating has improved, so he has become even better. What else do you need from a 4C?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I am always surprised that the fact that moving him to defense takes away some of his best abilities - Forechecking and faceoffs - is never mentioned.

Why is this even being mentioned? He is a great 4C. Wins draws, great defensively, and like Martin, has an underrated ability to generate offense. He is starting to use his size a lot more and his skating has improved, so he has become even better. What else do you need from a 4C?

I think he needs the right linemates to be successful (he would work really well with Kappy right now, although of course Kappy will move higher in the lineup eventually), but hopefully he is here to stay this time.

Was this call-up injury-related, or it is just the Leafs saying "we think he can be better than what we have right now"?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
When you have an abundance of offensive d-men that can't play real defense (Gardiner, Carrick and sometimes rielly though he has gotten much much better) you can afford to have a top 9 forward who doesn't produce but plays a great defensive game, he is a huge part of shutting down opposing teams #1 lines

I think Babcock has brain washed some people on here.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Agreed. I am a big Goat backer but he's a bit player for very low situational ice time usage. We had to get Moore off the ice for a game. We have many roster issues going forward. Both Lou and Hunter have plenty of work left to do before the Leafs are anywhere near Tampa's depth and contender status as we saw last night.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
OHHHHH YAAAAAA BABYYYY!!!!!!

the mighty goat has arrived

our go forward 4th line C, #1 PK C

IF he brings the "punishment" that babs needs , then close the books on that roster spot.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Possibly, but at the end of the day, Goat was called up because they clearly think he can bring more than Moore does in the 4C spot.

Also, forget possession numbers, by the end of yesterdays game, he looked solid out there.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think Komorov, Gauthier, Hymen would be a nice defensive 4th line. If Gauthier can be a consistent banger his value to the team will skyrocket.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Possibly, but at the end of the day, Goat was called up because they clearly think he can bring more than Moore does in the 4C spot.

Also, forget possession numbers, by the end of yesterdays game, he looked solid out there.
Not necessarily. Babs might love what Moore brings and he may just be out a game or 2 with soreness or family trouble. We don't really know.

I like to think it's because they are giving Goat an actual shot.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Not necessarily. Babs might love what Moore brings and he may just be out a game or 2 with soreness or family trouble. We don't really know.

I think so too. Gauthier has always been a Babcock favorite. Remember, the guy is 6'5" and 230 lbs all day long.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I don't think so. He implied pretty heavily in an interview that Moore was brought in because goat was hurt

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He still has yet to cement he’s an NHLer though. Some games he’s looked good, others pretty lousy.

Not sure I buy that claim of the Goat having underrated offense - his AHL numbers are dreadful.

Hopefully he can show enough consitency to be a player the team can use.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Did he? I wouldn't mind seeing that interview. Can you post it?

at 50 seconds in. He basically said he likes Goat in the NHL, but we "had to do things in the summer because Goat got injured" (as in, we signed Moore because Gauthier couldn't play)

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00