Waived: Frans Nielsen on Waivers

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So...since Nielsen cleared waivers and was back on the team and playing after clearing...

What was the purpose of waiving him?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So...since Nielsen cleared waivers and was back on the team and playing after clearing...

Somebody has to be waived and also other teams have had same kind of habits to circulate the waived guy.

Point for waiving is to save cap space for the non-game day.

I've thought it as it happens for multiple people, and not for just the same guy every time, it could not feel so personal move, when bigger group will face it one-by-one.

And, when it happens also for a veteran, maybe it doesn't feel so bad when younger player will face it. Maybe it could even motivate others? "That older guy got waived too, not me."

Who knows. Think it's that cap juggling as main purpose, but also some mental games when the waived player can be anybody.

No one is gonna claim Nielsen-level of contracts, so it's also more "protected" waiving than contract like Svechnikov at this point of the season.

There's no risk to lose a player (like Nielsen), and if you would lose it, it's even bigger win.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

In addition to whats already been said, it wouldn't surprise me if Yzerman is trying to as much cap as possible to potentially take on some big expiring contract at the TDL.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
The Habs are a case study in my fears for how the Wings rebuild will go. They are plenty talented to not only make the playoffs for the next few years, but even win a round. That said, I just don't see them ever coming together enough to be serious contenders for a Cup run. They have plenty of talent throughout the lineup, but no one is a matchup nightmare like Kane among their forwards, and they don't have dominant two-defensemen like Hedman or Doughty either.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Once a player clears waivers they don't have to go through waivers again for 30 days, so he can go on and off the taxi squad as the team fits.

It didn't clear any cap space because he was never re-assigned. I think they expected Bert to be ready and he wasn't.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In addition to whats already been said, it wouldn't surprise me if Yzerman is trying to as much cap as possible to potentially take on some big expiring contract at the TDL.

This is my thought honestly. Tremendous chance no big deal happens, but he is getting himself as much space as he can, so that if an avenue opens up he has the most room possible. Although it could also be saving money from a management point of view. Maybe a bit of both.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
It didn't clear any cap space because he was never re-assigned.

He has - of course - a oneway contract, so it wouldn't have cleared any cap space anyway.

I'm sure the reason is a technicality that we're not quite informed about.

One thing is for sure: It has nothing to do with Nielsen's wages. He will earn the same whether in NHL, AHL or Taxi Squad.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
He has - of course - a oneway contract, so it wouldn't have cleared any cap space anyway.

One thing is for sure: It has nothing to do with Nielsen's wages. He will earn the same whether in NHL, AHL or Taxi Squad.

Actually - coming to think of it: I think the reason is, that as far as I remember the rules you have to have between 4 and 6 players on the taxi squad.

With Nielsen having cleared the waiver, it just gives Yzerman the possibility to move Nielsen to the taxi squad if Bertuzzi ever comes back. They probably thought Bertuzzi was about to be ready when they placed Nielsen on the waiver and then found out he didn't respond well to the concussion tests so now the waivering just seems confusing to some of us fans.

That's my guess...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

It clears $1.075 mil actually. That is the max you can bury in the AHL/taxi for a one way contract, and the reason why they put DDK on the taxi squad last week.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It clears $1.075 mil actually. That is the max you can bury in the AHL/taxi for a one way contract, and the reason why they put DDK on the taxi squad last week.

Exactly, I was about to write the same thing. My hope is that Yzerman is planning on taking back some expiring contracts for assets come TDL. The more cap space we have, the more we can take back, the more picks we can acquire.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Even if it is just money motivated, I am kinda happy to see it from a fan perspective. The eye rolling experience of this contract's lifecycle has been another scar left from the old guard. It can't feel good to a veteran to face the fact that your team could care less if you were claimed and also that you won't be clamed because your country club contract is unmovable and in addition to the Wings 30 other teams couldn't care less too.

Have fun making league minimum or going back to Europe in your next contract, us fans are just going to sit back and watch you tennis ball from status to status to save as much cap as possible because that is how toxic your contract is and how useless of a player you are.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Even if it is just money motivated, I am kinda happy to see it from a fan perspective. The eye rolling experience of this contract's lifecycle has been another scar left from the old guard. It can't feel good to a veteran to face the fact that your team could care less if you were claimed and also that you won't be clamed because your country club contract is unmovable and in addition to the Wings 30 other teams couldn't care less too.

Have fun making league minimum or going back to Europe in your next contract, us fans are just going to sit back and watch you tennis ball from status to status to save as much cap as possible because that is how toxic your contract is and how useless of a player you are.

I get why you don’t like the contract, Most don’t. But what’s with the last paragraph? It comes off as if you get joy out of the idea of him not getting another deal, or being bounced around etc. which just comes off as vindictive. I will never blame a UFA for signing a contract that was offered to him, this isn’t an RFA that tried to hold a team hostage.

Reactions: Bench

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get why you don’t like the contract, Most don’t. But what’s with the last paragraph? It comes off as if you get joy out of the idea of him not getting another deal, or being bounced around etc. which just comes off as vindictive. I will never blame a UFA for signing a contract that was offered to him, this isn’t an RFA that tried to hold a team hostage.

Frans Nielsen choose us over the Blues who offered him a similar deal if I remember right or maybe that was Weiss, we have had a really unfortunate run there on guys that really were established top 6 centers and just fell off cliffs in terms of play.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I never get this idea that a contract is only a one way responsibility. The contract was structured for a top 6 center and Frans has not been that. Two parties signed that contract and only one is upholding their end. There is no breach of contract clause for performance but in the court of fan opinion he has plugged up cap space and served as one of the poster children of Holland's striving for mediocrity era. Forgive me if I don't applaud his legacy. The only reason he is still around is the cap penalty on a buyout. The fans and teammates have suffered from his lackluster presence and I won't sugar coat it.

Edit: coming on a bit strong here, I guess I am just resentful of people that can underperform and still suck up millions with others around them picking up the slack.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Frans Nielsen choose us over the Blues who offered him a similar deal if I remember right or maybe that was Weiss, we have had a really unfortunate run there on guys that really were established top 6 centers and just fell off cliffs in terms of play.

It was Weiss who got more money on the table from Blues, but picked Detroit.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I never get this idea that a contract is only a one way responsibility. The contract was structured for a top 6 center and Frans has not been that. Two parties signed that contract and only one is upholding their end. There is no breach of contract clause for performance but in the court of fan opinion he has plugged up cap space and served as one of the poster children of Holland's striving for mediocrity era. Forgive me if I don't applaud his legacy. The only reason he is still around is the cap penalty on a buyout. The fans and teammates have suffered from his lackluster presence and I won't sugar coat it.

Edit: coming on a bit strong here, I guess I am just resentful of people that can underperform and still suck up millions with others around them picking up the slack.

I'm not implying or saying that you should "applaud his legacy", and I'm not even saying you should like him. I just find it odd that you are going out of your way to wish him misfortunes, it just comes of as vindictive and unnecessary.

I could even understand it, if this was a Mantha situation, that being a player who is underperforming due to lack of effort. Having the mentality that someone needs to work for the money they make is completely understandable. That is not the situation with Nielsen, we are talking about a guy who is 36 years old, and no longer physically able to perform the way he used to perform, and quite frankly given a contract that was impossible for him to live up to. Does it make sense to be frustrated with his contract, sure. Does it make sense to not want him on the team anymore, sure. Does it make sense to criticize ownership for not allowing management to re-build and insist on the keeping the streak alive, sure. Does it make sense to be frustrated with management for choosing him to be the vet center they decided to bring in to replace Datsyuk, sure.

Wishing him misfortunes after he leaves the team due to a bitterness and resentment you have towards him, that's taking things too far. This is hockey, its a game, but you seem to be mad at him on a personal level.

I see your handle is "Retire91" (something I agree with for the record). The irony, is that the same type of resentment and anger you have towards a guy like Nielsen is exactly what has stopped that from happening, something your handle is advocating for. Ironic.

Reactions: jaster

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm not implying or saying that you should "applaud his legacy", and I'm not even saying you should like him. I just find it odd that you are going out of your way to wish him misfortunes, it just comes of as vindictive and unnecessary.

I could even understand it, if this was a Mantha situation, that being a player who is underperforming due to lack of effort. Having the mentality that someone needs to work for the money they make is completely understandable. That is not the situation with Nielsen, we are talking about a guy who is 36 years old, and no longer physically able to perform the way he used to perform, and quite frankly given a contract that was impossible for him to live up to. Does it make sense to be frustrated with his contract, sure. Does it make sense to not want him on the team anymore, sure. Does it make sense to criticize ownership for not allowing management to re-build and insist on the keeping the streak alive, sure. Does it make sense to be frustrated with management for choosing him to be the vet center they decided to bring in to replace Datsyuk, sure.

Wishing him misfortunes after he leaves the team due to a bitterness and resentment you have towards him, that's taking things too far. This is hockey, its a game, but you seem to be mad at him on a personal level.

I see your handle is "Retire91" (something I agree with for the record). The irony, is that the same type of resentment and anger you have towards a guy like Nielsen is exactly what has stopped that from happening, something your handle is advocating for. Ironic.

I am okay with the irony's. I also don't fault people for hating on Fedorov and if they personally wish him ill then so be it. To each their own. I am usually much more mindful of my feelings towards people. But in this case I am letting my emotion out. It's probably hard to twist that out of my comments becuase t here is a general and very tangible distain for the situation. But let me be clear. I wish no ill will towards Frans the person. I hope he is safe, happy, healthy and enjoys the company of those he loves for all his days. That said I am probably coming on too strong about his reality as some vindication for what the fans have had to suffer. Have fun in Europe is over the top I admit, but I think its easy to forgive considering how terrible the contract has been in.

There are several things about Frans that drive me insane:
First was the datsyuk trade that opened the door for him to arrive (and I don't care about Hronek we could have taken him with our own pick)
He was over paid
His track record had shown that at best he would be a marginal to above marginal center to fill the gap left by a hall of fame center on a team that was already mediocre and clearly needed to rebuild

He was in over his head the moment he signed and the only thing he accomplished was extending our teams period of mediocrity hurting the rebuild. Sure you can't fault a guy personally for taking a contract but in sports you don't get fired for underperforming so its infuriating to see a player bottle up the process in so many ways and as an emotional fan its hard not to take it personal. Other players of the same ilk like Abby, Cleary, Frans, Legwand, Alfredson, Dekyser, Richards all these stop gap plugs that Holland built the "get in and anything can happen years" on they can't go away soon enough. Frans will be another one out the door to bring closure to dark years as a fan. I won't miss him, his last day as a wing can't come soon enough, but yes I crossed the line wishing him ill so I take that back.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I am okay with the irony's. I also don't fault people for hating on Fedorov and if they personally wish him ill then so be it. To each their own. I am usually much more mindful of my feelings towards people. But in this case I am letting my emotion out. It's probably hard to twist that out of my comments becuase t here is a general and very tangible distain for the situation. But let me be clear. I wish no ill will towards Frans the person. I hope he is safe, happy, healthy and enjoys the company of those he loves for all his days. That said I am probably coming on too strong about his reality as some vindication for what the fans have had to suffer. Have fun in Europe is over the top I admit, but I think its easy to forgive considering how terrible the contract has been in.

There are several things about Frans that drive me insane:
First was the datsyuk trade that opened the door for him to arrive (and I don't care about Hronek we could have taken him with our own pick)
He was over paid
His track record had shown that at best he would be a marginal to above marginal center to fill the gap left by a hall of fame center on a team that was already mediocre and clearly needed to rebuild

He was in over his head the moment he signed and the only thing he accomplished was extending our teams period of mediocrity hurting the rebuild. Sure you can't fault a guy personally for taking a contract but in sports you don't get fired for underperforming so its infuriating to see a player bottle up the process in so many ways and as an emotional fan its hard not to take it personal. Other players of the same ilk like Abby, Cleary, Frans, Legwand, Alfredson, Dekyser, Richards all these stop gap plugs that Holland built the "get in and anything can happen years" on they can't go away soon enough. Frans will be another one out the door to bring closure to dark years as a fan. I won't miss him, his last day as a wing can't come soon enough, but yes I crossed the line wishing him ill so I take that back.

The root of of all your issues IMO seem to be with the Illitches and their edict to keep the streak alive, and with Holland based on the moves he made. With that said, you're entitled to feel however you want. Like you said, to each their own.

Reactions: Retire91

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The Habs are a case study in my fears for how the Wings rebuild will go. They are plenty talented to not only make the playoffs for the next few years, but even win a round. That said, I just don't see them ever coming together enough to be serious contenders for a Cup run. They have plenty of talent throughout the lineup, but no one is a matchup nightmare like Kane among their forwards, and they don't have dominant two-defensemen like Hedman or Doughty either.

I don't see alot of comparisons in the state of either team. We don't have a Weber or Price contract. They have some big contracts that hopefully work out for them in the next few years or they are going to need to be very lucky and creative with the salary cap. Amazing Weber still has 6 years left, same for Price. I do agree with the fact their roster doesn't have any players that really worry you match up wise but they do have the talent to go on a run.

Also Frans has been horrible for about 3 years and has made 15 million-ish? Im suspicious of the fans who don't think he is a negative asset on the ice, off the ice and in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad