Waived: Frans Nielsen on Waivers

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wonder what would happen if he just wanted to go play in Europe

He'd have to walk away from his guaranteed contract which he wouldn't do. As long as he's under contract, he can't simply just break it and keep his money. He can agree to his unconditional release through negotiation with the Wings from his contract, but he'd be walking away from another 8M or so (5.5m for next year and the balance of his contract for this year).

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He'd have to walk away from his guaranteed contract which he wouldn't do. As long as he's under contract, he can't simply just break it and keep his money. He can agree to his unconditional release through negotiation with the Wings from his contract, but he'd be walking away from another 8M or so (5.5m for next year and the balance of his contract for this year).

His contract for next season is 1.5 bonus + 1.5 salary. If he left right now he’d only be giving up about 4.6. If he retired or negotiated an unconditional release in the off season he’d be forfeiting 3 million minus whatever he could sign for in Europe.

I’d expect him to play out this season. Likely next season as well

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Buyout only saves $500k of real money, and it also impacts 2022 cap by $500k. His contract next season is half signing bonus. So it's pointless either way, unless they do it just to severe ties so he can play in Europe. I think he's still good enough for Europe.

Frans Nielsen Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Because they need 20 on the roster. What's odd is that they started doing that about 10 games in, and have continued to do so. Nielsen is still on the roster right now, but they'll swap Brome & Nielsen for the next game I'm sure.

Brome is on a two way, so it save as actual money whereas Nielsen saves cap space.

You are correct. I just looked it up and posted the same link.... I have got to get used to the "new" forum look, been away for a long long time. < I missed your quote and reply.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
His contract for next season is 1.5 bonus + 1.5 salary. If he left right now he’d only be giving up about 4.6. If he retired or negotiated an unconditional release in the off season he’d be forfeiting 3 million minus whatever he could sign for in Europe.

I’d expect him to play out this season. Likely next season as well

Ah, good call. I stupidly was going by his cap hit, not his actual money. Still, 4.6M is a lot to just walk away from when you are guaranteed to get it.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Is there anything to really suggest him being waived will have a different result than recently waiving DDK? Unless I'm missing something, I'm guessing this is a similar procedural move that gives the Wings flexibility to shuffle Nielsen/DDK more quickly to the taxi squad in the next month if they need to. But for now, he'll stay on the roster like DDK did.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
To me it seems it’s just using all the tools available to run the business in the best way possible.

As a fan, it’s nice to see that the contracts and roster statuses aren’t considered concrete and movement will happen if it makes business or hockey sense.

Even though moves might save some dollars here and there I don’t see it as penny pinching. Just doing things efficiently.

These waiver moves tell the players that we aren’t running a country club.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ah, good call. I stupidly was going by his cap hit, not his actual money. Still, 4.6M is a lot to just walk away from when you are guaranteed to get it.
He'd be walking away from $3M, which he obviously won't do. The other option is to request a buyout, and they might just give it to him. It has happened before, I remember Ben Clymer doing it and the Caps granted his request.

At that point, it would obviously be Stevie and Chris' decision, and we're basically talking about $500k which is inconsequential to the team, but Chris is cheap so who knows...

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The only reasons not to buyout Nielsen after this season are A) Detroit decides they need him to fill one of the two expansion draft exposure slots for forwards, or B) Detroit doesn't want the extra 500K cap hit in 2022-23.

"A" is entirely plausible. The draft is a month after the buyout period. Other forwards in play are Namestnikov, who some think should be protected, and Erne, who is an RFA and would need to be re-signed. We also have a slew of UFAs of course, though I'm not sure anyone likes the idea of re-signing any of them just to fulfill expansion requirements when we have other options already.

"B" seems unlikely. Given the extremely high level of roster flexibility Yzerman has ensured for that season and beyond, and given that this team won't be a contender by then, I can't imagine that 500K cap hit having any meaningful impact.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
kinda wondering why they wouldn’t have done this with Nielsen earlier. It’s not a money saving thing so why not do this the whole time to start the year.

But it's not a moneysaving thing, though. It's the other way around. Every time they play a two-way contract instead of Nielsen it costs them a bit. They have to pay Nielsen the same and he weighs the same on the cap whether he is playing, healthy scratch, taxi squad or in AHL. It doesn't matter - the Nielsen cost is the same everywhere.

If they pick up Hirose, Svechnikov, Smith or whomever on a two way contract from the taxi squad they have to pay both this player and Nielsen their NHL salary. That is why they keep sending these players with two way contracts to the taxi squad and back in between games.

This move is probably only to have more flexibility with the healthy scratches and taxi squad with Bertuzzi coming back from injury and Svechnikov getting cleared to play when his covid19-quarantine is over next week (there's a 7-day quarantine to players called up from AHL).

Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Holland is a great GM.

He's also long gone. And he wasn't the only one who signed a complete dogshit contract in 2016. But hey, keep that hate boner up for him. Ken Holland did some fantastic things for the Red Wings in his career. He ended his career here in a really bad way.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
We wouldn't have to waive Nielsen nor would ANA have had to waive Henrique for this to happen.

Also, Henrique >>>>>>>>>>> add about a hundred more Frans Nielsen.
You wouldn't have to, but it would make sense to check to see if someone might take him without taking back salary before trading him for another bad contract. And Nielsen has one less year left on his contract than Henrique does, so that might make him more attractive to some teams than Henrique.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone know the rules on taxi squad guys in terms of being called up from AHL. I know some have said you need to quarantine for 7 days but I just saw zegras might play tomorrow for the ducks. I don’t believe he was on taxi squad so how can he play if he hasn’t done the quarantine? Just asking with regards to svech as I’ve seen some people say he hasn’t played because he hasn’t been on taxi squad for 7 days yet

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The only reasons not to buyout Nielsen after this season are A) Detroit decides they need him to fill one of the two expansion draft exposure slots for forwards, or B) Detroit doesn't want the extra 500K cap hit in 2022-23.

"A" is entirely plausible. The draft is a month after the buyout period. Other forwards in play are Namestnikov, who some think should be protected, and Erne, who is an RFA and would need to be re-signed. We also have a slew of UFAs of course, though I'm not sure anyone likes the idea of re-signing any of them just to fulfill expansion requirements when we have other options already.

"B" seems unlikely. Given the extremely high level of roster flexibility Yzerman has ensured for that season and beyond, and given that this team won't be a contender by then, I can't imagine that 500K cap hit having any meaningful impact.

As of now we are the team with the most amount of capspace in the league.

That extra 500k caphit won't impact Detroit much in 2022-23 because it's highly unlikely that Ilitch spends close to the cap. In 22-23 our current projected cap hit is 14(!!!) million. Larkin and Mantha are the only contracts going beyond 22-23.

I'd expect with all the contracts falling off next season that we are a cap floor team for 2-3 more years at minimum. The dude is a cheapskate.

Reactions: heyfolks

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
As of now we are the team with the most amount of capspace in the league.

That extra 500k caphit won't impact Detroit much in 2022-23 because it's highly unlikely that Ilitch spends close to the cap. In 22-23 our current projected cap hit is 14(!!!) million. Larkin and Mantha are the only contracts going beyond 22-23.

I'd expect with all the contracts falling off next season that we are a cap floor team for 2-3 more years at minimum. The dude is a cheapskate.

667cced6a875d3d86a43ec205b604758.jpg

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

He and DeKeyser are the only ones we can expose that fulfill the salary requirement, so we need to hold on to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad