Waived: Frans Nielsen on Waivers

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's possible. I think the 3 leading candidates to fulfill the exposure spots are Namestnikov, Nielsen, and Erne. And if I'm allowed to keep one of those, it's definitely Namestnikov.

Will also be interesting to see what happens with Ryan and LFG. Those are the two "old guys" I'd consider bringing back. But if they are UFAs when the expansion draft happens, and they get picked, they are under no obligation to go to Seattle. They can still re-sign with Detroit if they wanted to (they might not, I have no idea).
Agreed, I'm thinking the exact same. Ryan & LGD if we need them on short/low cap hit 1yr deals w/promise to trade to a playoff team by TDL.

Hronek, Stech & Lindstrom is who I hope they protect & resign Merrill after ED, ~2 yrs, 3max if cost is really low.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Agreed, I'm thinking the exact same. Ryan & LGD if we need them on short/low cap hit 1yr deals w/promise to trade to a playoff team by TDL.

Hronek, Stech & Lindstrom is who I hope they protect & resign Merrill after ED, ~2 yrs, 3max if cost is really low.

I'm down with that. Merrill is still under 30, so I wasn't considering him an "old guy" :wally:. But I agree. Merrill has a real solid game. Having him as a 4-5-6 for a couple more years is A-ok with me.

Only other defenseman I'd bring up is Cholo. Never really been a fan. Hate his game. But his offensive upside and left-handedness is enticing. He needs to get his shit together though, and quick, if he's to remain a piece of this franchise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As of now we are the team with the most amount of capspace in the league.

That extra 500k caphit won't impact Detroit much in 2022-23 because it's highly unlikely that Ilitch spends close to the cap. In 22-23 our current projected cap hit is 14(!!!) million. Larkin and Mantha are the only contracts going beyond 22-23.

I'd expect with all the contracts falling off next season that we are a cap floor team for 2-3 more years at minimum. The dude is a cheapskate.

We were a bad team with a high payroll under Chris Illitch, too.

Neither one is really great. Spending to spend is not the answer. It was how we got in that shitty cap situation to begin with.

You can only spend $ on UFAs if they want to play on your team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm still wondering why the Wings are clearing cap space, the other teams under $75M are carrying 23 roster players, while the Wings only carry 20. DDK and Biega are on one way contracts, so the actual salary is the same, yet the team keeps putting them on the taxi squad to save $1.95M cap space.

At first, I thought maybe they're gonna eat a LTIR contract, but that doesn't make sense mid-season.

The team has $9.4M of cap space, why do they need more?

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I'm still wondering why the Wings are clearing cap space, the other teams under $75M are carrying 23 roster players, while the Wings only carry 20. DDK and Biega are on one way contracts, so the actual salary is the same, yet the team keeps putting them on the taxi squad to save $1.95M cap space.

At first, I thought maybe they're gonna eat a LTIR contract, but that doesn't make sense mid-season.

SY’s kaizen philosophy. Doing the little things right, which could pay off down the line. Having cap space could possibly be an asset at TDL, so he makes sure to maximize this possible asset while maximizing our flexibility. Same kind of thinking that made him claim De La Rose and Djoos.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
SY’s kaizen philosophy. Doing the little things right, which could pay off down the line. Having cap space could possibly be an asset at TDL, so he makes sure to maximize this possible asset while maximizing our flexibility. Same kind of thinking that made him claim De La Rose and Djoos.
There are 13 games after TDL, 56 games total, so based on $9.4M cap space, that's $2.2M of actual salary that Chris would have to eat in order to utilize that cap space, unless the player involved has a contract with a lot of signing bonus.

Considering how cheap Chris is, I just don't see it happening but you never know. Based on the Staal deal, I would have to think that the return would have to be at least a second rounder.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Maybe a trade for Ducheeseknee?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Are you serious? I thought you were just joking.

Nielsen's contract ends next season, Duchene contract goes until 2026. NOBODY is touching that even if someone is holding a gun to their head.

Matt Duchene - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Maybe for 10 first round picks, 10 second round picks, 50% retention, AND they take Nielsen, lol.

Joking, serious, what's the difference? It's the internet, I could literally be Ducheeseknee and want to gauge my trade value.

But I'm not.

And you'll have to decide on your own whether or not I was serious.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Joking, serious, what's the difference? It's the internet, I could literally be Ducheeseknee and want to gauge my trade value.

But I'm not.

And you'll have to decide on your own whether or not I was serious.
Doesn't matter because it's not worth discussing anyways. No GM is touching that contract, just odd that you would mention one of the worst contracts out there.

I mean, you've got 23 posts, lol. Trolling for attention I assume.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There are 13 games after TDL, 56 games total, so based on $9.4M cap space, that's $2.2M of actual salary that Chris would have to eat in order to utilize that cap space, unless the player involved has a contract with a lot of signing bonus.

Considering how cheap Chris is, I just don't see it happening but you never know. Based on the Staal deal, I would have to think that the return would have to be at least a second rounder.

knock it off with the “how cheap they are”. Jesus, the bleating forever was “highest payroll; worst results!” So now they’re not paying up to the cap and they’re cheap.

The Wings get no additional benefit from having 23 guys on the roster every day. So why the f*** would they keep 23 guys on the roster every day.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I'm a little curious why this "They are cheap" reputation has continued to persist. There hasn't been a validated source yet saying that the Wings and Stevie are under any restriction are mostly sourced from rumor mongers who said they Wings were financially in ruin, which again, proved to be incredibly false.

Reactions: mantha39

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Yep. And it easily could be “if we were up against the cap, this is what we would be doing.” If we were managing our roster and we were the best team in the league, this is what we would be doing.

Yzerman manages his bad team the same way he’d manage a good team. Look for ways to improve it, ways to try to get more out of things, and all that.

But yeah, I’m sure it is just mean ol penny-pinching Chris Ilitch

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm a little curious why this "They are cheap" reputation has continued to persist. There hasn't been a validated source yet saying that the Wings and Stevie are under any restriction are mostly sourced from rumor mongers who said they Wings were financially in ruin, which again, proved to be incredibly false.

Because there are members of our fan base who just want to be right or for their opinion to be followed, even if it flies in the face of what’s actually going on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
knock it off with the “how cheap they are”. Jesus, the bleating forever was “highest payroll; worst results!” So now they’re not paying up to the cap and they’re cheap.

The Wings get no additional benefit from having 23 guys on the roster every day. So why the f*** would they keep 23 guys on the roster every day.
The only reason why they had the highest payroll was because NHL contracts are guaranteed, plus Z's LTIR was on the books too.

Stevie flat out admitted they bought Abby out to save money, Chris is known to be a numbers guy (see Tigers), and the team went on the cheap as far as signing UFAs. They made money last year, but keep in mind they also had attendance last season. There's no attendance at all this season.

I'm not saying Chris is going to continue to be cheap, but everything has indicated that he's minimizing his losses this season. No indication that he won't spend in the future, but I don't see him throwing and additional $2M into a money losing season, unless it's for a player that helps the team win next season when there might be attendance. (Not sure how they do this, maybe require proof of vaccination or some other BS?)

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The only reason why they had the highest payroll was because NHL contracts are guaranteed, plus Z's LTIR was on the books too.

Stevie flat out admitted they bought Abby out to save money, Chris is known to be a numbers guy (see Tigers), and the team went on the cheap as far as signing UFAs. They made money last year, but keep in mind they also had attendance last season. There's no attendance at all this season.

I'm not saying Chris is going to continue to be cheap, but everything has indicated that he's minimizing his losses this season. No indication that he won't spend in the future, but I don't see him throwing and additional $2M into a money losing season, unless it's for a player that helps the team win next season when there might be attendance. (Not sure how they do this, maybe require proof of vaccination or some other BS?)

Right, so how about instead of continually stating how cheap the Red Wings are... which is crazily derisive... you actually take the tack of "why would he throw away 2M in a losing season where it wouldn't help. No signing they were going to make this offseason or trade they were going to make this offseason was going to make them improve to anything but "only kinda wretched". There is a huge difference of "being a numbers guy" and "being cheap".

Mike Ilitch knew he couldn't take it with him, so he was overly lavish. It worked out great, but he flashed money like a high schooler who gets to work with his daddy's company and make a salary without doing anything. Chris Ilitch will put in money when there is a chance he'll get a return. He wasn't getting one in this COVID year.

And yeah, that was where I always went in the "highest payroll" arguments. They had bad longterm deals, they were gonna stay that way for awhile.

It's just almost become a meme on here that the Wings are cheap, especially after people went ballistic that Givani Smith got "screwed" out of his $5k payday inbetween games. Nevermind the fact that G is probably gonna end up making more money this year with bouncing up and down with the taxi squad than he would if the AHL was just operating... he was getting a raw deal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Right, so how about instead of continually stating how cheap the Red Wings are... which is crazily derisive... you actually take the tack of "why would he throw away 2M in a losing season where it wouldn't help. No signing they were going to make this offseason or trade they were going to make this offseason was going to make them improve to anything but "only kinda wretched". There is a huge difference of "being a numbers guy" and "being cheap".

Mike Ilitch knew he couldn't take it with him, so he was overly lavish. It worked out great, but he flashed money like a high schooler who gets to work with his daddy's company and make a salary without doing anything. Chris Ilitch will put in money when there is a chance he'll get a return. He wasn't getting one in this COVID year.

And yeah, that was where I always went in the "highest payroll" arguments. They had bad longterm deals, they were gonna stay that way for awhile.

It's just almost become a meme on here that the Wings are cheap, especially after people went ballistic that Givani Smith got "screwed" out of his $5k payday inbetween games. Nevermind the fact that G is probably gonna end up making more money this year with bouncing up and down with the taxi squad than he would if the AHL was just operating... he was getting a raw deal.
I call it the way I see it buddy. It's not like I'm bad mouthing YOU, take it with a grain of salt.

The moment a person decides to buy (or in his case inherit and keep) a sports team, that person becomes a public figure that is going to get criticized. Chris is being cheap THIS SEASON, I'm not gonna sugar coat it or hold my tongue on a public internet forum. That just wouldn't be me, lol.

I haven't even said that he shouldn't be cheap, in fact, I've supported that business direction here. If he's cheap once he's making money again, you'll definitely read real criticism.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Doesn't matter because it's not worth discussing anyways. No GM is touching that contract, just odd that you would mention one of the worst contracts out there.

I mean, you've got 23 posts, lol. Trolling for attention I assume.

Yes, trolling, that's obviously what it is.

With so many hockey experts in Detroit its surprising to me how awful the team is.

Especially on this forum, you'd think they'd pick up some of the brightest minds on the internet to right the ship.

Or, you know, maybe some people are just a little full of themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad