Waived: Frans Nielsen on Waivers

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Obviously nobody is picking him up. But wonder what the corresponding move is. Anyone know what that puts us at for the 23 man roster?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
upload_2021-2-21_12-9-45.gif

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
all these long term contracts getting waived kinda makes me wish Edmonton had a bunch of cap space just in case

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean it could just mean that Bertuzzi is getting close to being ready. It could mean that they do actually plan to get Svechnikov some ice time. It could just be for cap saving purposes and Nielsen will be activated for Tuesday. We will see.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
With this move and Bert coming back we are still only at a roster of 20. I’m hoping we are either making a move (trade) or calling up a kid

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Obviously nobody is picking him up. But wonder what the corresponding move is. Anyone know what that puts us at for the 23 man roster?
Biega, DDK, and Brome were assigned to the taxi squad putting the team at 20. Nielsen is technically still on the roster, but obviously there's another move coming before the next game. My assumption would be Nielsen heading to taxi and Brome on the roster.

I don't see Svech getting playing time until Gagner goes on waivers.

The odd thing about all of this is that they appear to be making cap space moves as if they're going to eat a contract, but my take on Chris tells me that's not possible....

Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He'll clear and hit the taxi squad. No reason NOT to eat his salary for the balance of this season. I wouldn't want any carry over cap hit, so keep him around next season and waive him again. Another Holland special.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
With this move and Bert coming back we are still only at a roster of 20. I’m hoping we are either making a move (trade) or calling up a kid
They've only been keeping 20 on the roster in between games, which is a cap space move for a team that has a ton of cap space. Bert is still IR, and you know Brome (taxi) will be playing the next game.

Taxi squad. Does this mean the wings get half off on his salary? Idk so I am asking
$1.075M of cap space, no actual salary impact since he's on a one way.

Reactions: wings95

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
They've only been keeping 20 on the roster in between games, which is a cap space move for a team that has a ton of cap space. Bert is still IR, and you know Brome (taxi) will be playing the next game.

$1.075M of cap space, no actual salary impact since he's on a one way.

kinda wondering why they wouldn’t have done this with Nielsen earlier. It’s not a money saving thing so why not do this the whole time to start the year.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
kinda wondering why they wouldn’t have done this with Nielsen earlier. It’s not a money saving thing so why not do this the whole time to start the year.

Yzerman probably wanted to give the younger players as much veteran support as possible to see how this team looked with a lot of experience insulating the roster.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He'll clear and hit the taxi squad. No reason NOT to eat his salary for the balance of this season. I wouldn't want any carry over cap hit, so keep him around next season and waive him again. Another Holland special.
Buyout only saves $500k of real money, and it also impacts 2022 cap by $500k. His contract next season is half signing bonus. So it's pointless either way, unless they do it just to severe ties so he can play in Europe. I think he's still good enough for Europe.

Frans Nielsen Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Because they need 20 on the roster. What's odd is that they started doing that about 10 games in, and have continued to do so. Nielsen is still on the roster right now, but they'll swap Brome & Nielsen for the next game I'm sure.

Brome is on a two way, so it save as actual money whereas Nielsen saves cap space.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Blashill we pissed he won't have him to put out in the finals minutes of a game.

It is about time, I hope they buy him out in the offseason.

His buyout would be a cap hit of 4.25 million next season and a 500k the following. Not much difference so I’d say they’d be better off burying him in the minors

Reactions: golffuul

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Makes me think they need the cap space for something

No, it doesn't. Nielsen is probably going to be healthy scratched and they're going to call someone else up. This isn't a "we need cap space move", because they know that Nielsen isn't going to be picked up on waivers, so they can just get the flexibility of moving contracts around. I wouldn't be surprised if teams were just going through their roster to see what guys they could put through waivers to have the most flexibility. Which is why guys like Henrique are on waivers, Johnson, etc. It's what I would do if I had access to the taxi squad. Keep all your options open for player movement.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
His buyout would be a cap hit of 4.25 million next season and a 500k the following. Not much difference so I’d say they’d be better off burying him in the minors
Wonder what would happen if he just wanted to go play in Europe

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
No, it doesn't. Nielsen is probably going to be healthy scratched and they're going to call someone else up. This isn't a "we need cap space move", because they know that Nielsen isn't going to be picked up on waivers, so they can just get the flexibility of moving contracts around. I wouldn't be surprised if teams were just going through their roster to see what guys they could put through waivers to have the most flexibility. Which is why guys like Henrique are on waivers, Johnson, etc. It's what I would do if I had access to the taxi squad. Keep all your options open for player movement.
Who do you think is getting called up then?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Who do you think is getting called up then?

Dunno. Was Smith sent back down? Is a guy like Shine or Rasmussen ready for another look? I don't know the other side of the move because they haven't made it yet and I don't pay attention to the AHL or guys that are kicking around in juniors or otherwise. Just that it seems pretty clear that this is a move for future flexibilty as you only need to expose a guy like Nielsen to waivers once with the taxi squad. You don't have to expose him to waivers at every time. The Wings know that Nielsen isn't going to be claimed with his contract. They'll call someone else up by the time they play their next game.

Hockey waivers are kinda weird in comparison to other sports. If you look at baseball's waiver wire, it would blow your freaking mind what kinds of players end up there. But that's because in baseball you can simply recall the guy from waivers if someone does claim him. Like Justin Verlander was on the Tigers' waiver list every single year of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad