Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I'd be fine with it. Out with the old and in with the new. My point was just that those that fear Dundon doesn't have hockey resources around him, shouldn't be too concerned. The smart, and uber successful (which I categorize Dundon as) bussinessmen surround themselves with people that know their ****, and can help them achieve their goals. I think Francis will be part of his panel of knowledge, but maybe not. Either way I feel more confident than not that he has a handle on what he's doing.

Where have we seen this theory go horribly wrong.....

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
If you buy out Darling you're paying him almost $1.4 million through 2023-24 to not play for this team. That's a hell of a long time. Rask, as Luke suggests, would be $1.3 million through 2025-26. Neither of these are good ideas. The longer you can eke out the player on your roster, the less the impact of the buyout (assuming the player doesn't turn it around).
I would take that 1,4 million through 23-24, salary cap is rising, so it's not that bad. There is no team who would take him even with 50% retained, so I don't see any other option.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My point was just that those that fear Dundon doesn't have hockey resources around him, shouldn't be too concerned. The smart, and uber successful (which I categorize Dundon as) bussinessmen surround themselves with people that know their ****, and can help them achieve their goals.

I'm not concerned about that. The scouting staff, Waddell, Vellucci, etc.. are all still in place and it's not hard to get a few other guys. My only concern, and it's just that, a concern, is that IF (it remains to be seen) he takes a more hands on role in personnel decisions, will it be successful? We've seen guys like Mark Cuban be successful, and guys like Snyder be a disaster.

That's not an indictment of his firing of RF as he could do that and just hire a different GM.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like the predictions that this is going to lead to the downfall of the franchise.

We are 13 months from having the longest ever playoff drought in NHL history. Ever. Where we are now is what others mean when they talk about a franchise going down the crapper and to be careful what you wish for. Literally, it doesn't get much worse than where we are right now. In a league where >50% of the teams make the playoffs we haven't been in 9 years.

Ron Francis was not a good GM. He did not turn around the franchise and he did not put us back on stable footing. We collected marginal at best players and rolled the dice on no less than 3 bad goalies. Oh, and we traded away our franchise player and got bupkis in return.

I'm not shedding a tear over tonight. Glad we are moving on. Hopefully the new GM has some accountability to make things happen to make us competitive again.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Know about JR but if my aging mind isn't too far gone it seems I recall that RF was part of some group that bought a small position a while back.

Yeah, my point being, that his ownership stake in the Canes (if he has any), doesn't really mean he'll stay around. He could still maintain his ownership and leave the team, or, like JR, he could sell his stake if he goes to another team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He’s 100% gone. In all honesty I’d be surprised if there aren’t 10-12 new players on opening night next year.
I might not go 10-12, but at least 7-8.

Out: Stempniak, Nordy, PDG, Krueger (well he's already gone to Charlotte but ya know)
Likely out: Darling, Ryan
Maybe out: Dahlbeck, Rask, Ward, Skinner/Faulk (less likely but still possible if the right deal comes along for one of those two)

Likely in: Necas, Wallmark (he's already on but still "new" in my books)

The exciting thing will be seeing what the other 4-7 additions will be. Even if it's Needaspellcheck replacing Darling that's an upgrade to me. Likewise with McLovin replacing Nordy/PDG. But there's a ton of room there both in the salary structure and on the roster to go out and do something like JVR and Stastny up front comfortably. Or to go all in on Tavares.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I thought Rask was under 1m if bought out this off season, then goes up more next season

I just did it by hand and that's what I came up with, but the calculator agrees with you and I can't figure out why. Scratch that, I did figure out why. It's only 1/3 of the salary if the player is under 26, and Rask turns 26 on March 1 of next year.

Yeah, I get that it will be painful, but I haven't seen anything from Darling that says he can be a starting goalie. He's big, but doesn't play very big. He gets out of position and doesn't have the ability to quickly move back. His puck handling is so-so. He can't cover the puck to save his life and his rebound control is not great. He never looks comfortable in net. Maybe it's in his head and maybe he's salvageable, but I haven't seen anything this year that would suggest that.

I agree with all of this, but he was successful in Chicago. I can't imagine it was all because of the team in front of him as he had a better save percentage than Crawford in 2 out of 3 years. What's gone wrong here?

I would take that 1,4 million through 23-24, salary cap is rising, so it's not that bad. There is no team who would take him even with 50% retained, so I don't see any other option.

The salary cap is probably not going to go up forever. But if you give him one more season to turn it around, that buyout becomes a little friendlier. Or maybe you find a taker at 50% retained. Or maybe he turns it around.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
You ever go to a party and someone has your ear and they keep telling you the same thing, emphatically, repeatedly?

Boy, I’m sure glad that doesn’t happen here.
giphy.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree with all of this, but he was successful in Chicago. I can't imagine it was all because of the team in front of him as he had a better save percentage than Crawford in 2 out of 3 years. What's gone wrong here.

Yeah, I didn't watch him in Chicago so can't say. He's just NEVER looked comfortable in net to me, even when he's won. Seems to scramble a lot for a big guy.

Maybe his confidence is shot. Maybe the big money got to him. Maybe he was never that good to begin with. I don't know. If he's salvageable, I'm sure they'll try.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I just did it by hand and that's what I came up with, but the calculator agrees with you and I can't figure out why. Scratch that, I did figure out why. It's only 1/3 of the salary if the player is under 26, and Rask turns 26 on March 1 of next year.

Yeah, I knew it was really low if we did that this year.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I would only consider keeping him as a backup. Nothing else. And not a backup to Cam Ward.

Oh absolutely. He needs to prove he belongs in the NHL. I mean, I wouldn't totally hate a buyout since goalie is a weird one to try to fit, I just think $1.4M is a tough pill to swallow for 6 more seasons.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Accountability starts at the top.

Francis said this year was the playoff year. He was wrong. It cost him his job. Simple as that.

I have no idea what will happen now, but we're a year away from the worst decade of hockey in NHL history. The only direction we can possibly go is up.

Thanks for the effort, Ron. Your number is in the rafters no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad