Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
A different question. There was some thought (from some on this board) that Francis would stick with Darling so as to not have to admit to his mistake. Do you think this means there's a bigger likelihood that Darling is now gone next year?

He’s 100% gone. In all honesty I’d be surprised if there aren’t 10-12 new players on opening night next year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A different question. There was some thought (from some on this board) that Francis would stick with Darling so as to not have to admit to his mistake. Do you think this means there's a bigger likelihood that Darling is now gone next year?
That would be a possibility, and frankly a major plus in my books if that's the case. Hopefully Darling is either out at 50% retained or flat out bought out in that case, neither of which would be a negative. Paying him ~2 million to play against us beats paying him 4 million to, well, certainly feels like he's been playing against us any time he's been in the crease following... October.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

I guess it depends on how Dundon wants to spend his money. Another buyout? Sure, why not? Maybe we'll have two new goalies next year. Cut the cord completely from the Francis era by addressing probably the biggest hole in the team right now? I could see that.

Man, this living in the moment is killing me. The waiting. I keep looking for the "Advance to Next Day" or "Sim Ahead to Off-Season" button but can't find it.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Do you think this means there's a bigger likelihood that Darling is now gone next year?

Yes. The one thing I feel comfortable with is the idea that in business, you buy your mistakes out rather than continue to sink the bottom-line...but you also eliminate the cause of the mistakes.

Dundon is a businessman and I believe today is a sign he intends to cut his losses on Darling...and laid the blame for the mistake at the feet of RF.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Start him every game until the season ends. He sinks or swims. If he shows improvement, heck....still csnt trust him. If he sinks....buyout. Admit it was a mistake and move on.

I think Peters won't even give him many starts. First, a few good games at the end of the season won't change anything as I don't think the team would count on him. His game has too many holes. Second, starting him sends a message to the rest of the team that they gave up.

I see a buy-out or trade with heavy retention (less likely).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It's silly were whining this much after firing our GM when we are a month away from missing out on the playoffs for a 9th consecutive season, 1 less than the NHL record.

The Ron Francis slow play wasn't getting it done. Period. The franchise sold us all on this year being the year and they failed. It's completely deserved that heads are now starting to roll.

The only reason this isn't unanimous in acceptance as a good thing is that too many are used to the Karmanos not caring at all ownership style. In any other franchise, you would have seen the entire front office gutted and replaced a few years ago.

It's amazing what accountability can mean.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Francis is still going to be President of hockey operations. He's not GM anymore and long story short, shit happens, but I seriously doubt he and Dundon have a bad relationship. That's purely speculation obviously. They may not see eye to eye on how to run the team, but I'd be willing to bet that Ron will continue to play a role in the day to day, and a consultant for any player/draft decisions.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Maybe I'm being naive here, but I feel like we're underestimating Dundon's ability to identify a group of strong candidates, conduct the interviews and hire the person he sees as the best fit. He's admitted to not being patient, but he's also admitted that he's very new to hockey. I don't think he's arrogant enough to do this on his own with just a "figurehead GM," so I'm curious who he ends up consulting when making the decision.

As for candidates, it sounds like Dubas may be taking over for Lou in Toronto so not sure he's realistic. I think BriseBois and Fenton would be strong options, both have plenty of experience working with top GMs and operating in southern markets. Curious to see what names come out.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This will either be glorius or go down in flames.

Either way we're much less likely to finish on the bubble next season :). Will we become the Oilers/Avs? or the NJD/Flyers? If we become the Oilers/Avs at least we get to watch some McDavid/MacKinnon level talent knowing that if our GM gets his shit together and surrounds them with depth we can win.

As an aside, I've been really impressed with Shero in NJ and Hextall the last couple years.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Francis is still going to be President of hockey operations. He's not GM anymore and long story short, **** happens, but I seriously doubt he and Dundon have a bad relationship. That's purely speculation obviously. They may not see eye to eye on how to run the team, but I'd be willing to bet that Ron will continue to play a role in the day to day, and a consultant for any player/draft decisions.

Maybe, but isn't that the same position JR had? And turns out, he and PK did have a bad relationship and JR was gone in a year.

If I had to bet, I'd think Francis isn't with the team in a year or two. This, to me, was a graceful way for TD to push him aside to get his own guy in there and not piss off the entire fan base, but I'll be very surprised if Francis is still on the payroll in a couple years, and that's fine.

Dundon is putting his stamp on this team and when you pay hundreds of millions for a sports team and the team hasn't been successful in almost 10 years, that's not too unexpected.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you buy out Darling you're paying him almost $1.4 million through 2023-24 to not play for this team. That's a hell of a long time. Rask, as Luke suggests, would be $1.3 million through 2025-26. Neither of these are good ideas. The longer you can eke out the player on your roster, the less the impact of the buyout (assuming the player doesn't turn it around).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If you buy out Darling you're paying him almost $1.4 million through 2023-24 to not play for this team. That's a hell of a long time. Rask, as Luke suggests, would be $1.3 million through 2025-26. Neither of these are good ideas. The longer you can eke out the player on your roster, the less the impact of the buyout (assuming the player doesn't turn it around).

I thought Rask was under 1m if bought out this off season, then goes up more next season

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I get that it will be painful, but I haven't seen anything from Darling that says he can be a starting goalie. He's big, but doesn't play very big. He gets out of position and doesn't have the ability to quickly move back. His puck handling is so-so. He can't cover the puck to save his life and his rebound control is not great. He never looks comfortable in net. Maybe it's in his head and maybe he's salvageable, but I haven't seen anything this year that would suggest that.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Maybe, but isn't that the same position JR had? And turns out, he and PK did have a bad relationship and JR was gone in a year.

If I had to bet, I'd think Francis isn't with the team in a year or two. This, to me, was a graceful way for TD to push him aside to get his own guy in there and not piss off the entire fan base, but I'll be very surprised if Francis is still on the payroll in a couple years, and that's fine.

Dundon is putting his stamp on this team and when you pay hundreds of millions for a sports team and the team hasn't been successful in almost 10 years, that's not too unexpected.

I'd be fine with it. Out with the old and in with the new. My point was just that those that fear Dundon doesn't have hockey resources around him, shouldn't be too concerned. The smart, and uber successful (which I categorize Dundon as) bussinessmen surround themselves with people that know their shit, and can help them achieve their goals. I think Francis will be part of his panel of knowledge, but maybe not. Either way I feel more confident than not that he has a handle on what he's doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00