Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm not really sure what to make anymore of this GM search. Its just about as embarrassing as U of Tennessee searching for a football coach. At least we didn't have a guy on board and then he get sideswiped by fans, at least not yet.

What's to understand here? The GM search is over. Don Waddell is the GM.

We had two GMs all along. Dundon chose the one he liked better. Case closed. As far as I'm concerned, we might as well close the thread.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’m curious to Don’s comments when asked, “didn’t you say you weren’t in the running or interested in this job?”.

Simple: he was lying. Oh well.

Or maybe it just became more complicated when it became clear that candidates for this new-look front office wouldn't be available.

Or maybe he wasn't interested in the role long-term, but is happy to do it short-term during a transitional period.

But it doesn't matter now, practically speaking. The die is cast. There is no GM search at present, according to Donny himself.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In Carolina, Waddell doesn’t have to build from scratch as he ultimately failed to sustainably do in Atlanta. Also, unlike Atlanta, he has access to a scouting staff that he’s seen from the other chair he’s been sitting in pump out a bunch of quality prospects outside of the 1st round. To top it off, the Canes won the lottery and now are in a position to draft what he called a “potential superstar.”

This is a great opportunity to remake what is an awful legacy. He’d be crazy not to want this particular job.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
What's to understand here? The GM search is over. Don Waddell is the GM.

We had two GMs all along. Dundon chose the one he liked better. Case closed. As far as I'm concerned, we might as well close the thread.

tenor.png

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If Toronto goes with Hunter, will TD "spend what it takes" to hire away Dubas? All these guys who think they can get a "better" gig are going to be looking for a job when Toronto and Minny fill their positions. I'll laugh out loud if Fenton doesn't get the Minnesota job. I get the feeling he was counting on it, but despite interviewing and knowing the owner well, they're still bringing people in.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If Toronto goes with Hunter, will TD "spend what it takes" to hire away Dubas? All these guys who think they can get a "better" gig are going to be looking for a job when Toronto and Minny fill their positions. I'll laugh out loud if Fenton doesn't get the Minnesota job. I get the feeling he was counting on it, but despite interviewing and knowing the owner well, they're still bringing people in.

I would be shocked and think there is very little chance he spends what it takes for Dubas. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think Dundon just has basically zero imbedded influence which will push him to hire a name. If Dubas has built a name because he can actually say “I was responsible for and/or have connections with <enter impressive arguments>“ then I don’t see why he couldn’t make a case for the salary he wants. If anyone is going to be worth the cash it would seem to me that it would be someone with the connections and reputation of a guy like Dubas.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The latest is that Hunter has the edge.

Interesting. I thought Dubas was the golden boy being groomed for the slot. Him and Hunter are fairly different so if Leafs want to stay with a more “old school” GM then Hunter is the obvious choice.

I don’t think it’s likely but would love to have Dubas here and I think he would bring a lot of what Dundon is looking for so just maybe...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00