Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Just hire whoever is convenient.

What a ****ing joke of a GM/coach search

Agreed. I could get behind Brind'Amour if Vellucci wanted to be GM instead. I understand Waddell with some new voices in the room and Waddell willing to work within Dundon's hive mind if some new blood came in as HC, even Vellucci coming up from Charlotte.

But this screams We Like Our Group.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Did Dundon not find out how badly Waddell ****ed Atlanta? And did he not pay attention to how awful Rod was at running the power play?

What the **** is he smoking? We are now officially the Sacramento Kings of the NHL.
Waddell was not the problem in Atlanta. That started and ended with an ownership that was openly antagonistic towards actually owning the team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sneaking the fact that you hired a full time GM into a press release about the head coach hiring tells me TD knows Waddell as the GM is not only an unpopular decision, it makes him look like a fool.

Or it might be reading his audience. The fan base he wants to read the article would care that Stanley Cup Captain Rod Brind’Amour was hired as Head Coach. They probably don’t care so much about the interim GM becoming permanent. Most don’t know who Waddell is.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’ve heard Eric Cole say the exact same thing about Williams. Obvious decision for Captain last year. Not hard to see Brind’Amour agreeing.

Although I’m not sure that is necessarily a benificial thing. If this common sense extends to “Why is Derek Ryan on the f***ing ice?” - now you are winning me over.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I don't see any reason why this person would be making this up. It wasn't exactly a secretive event, and would be easy to disprove. That being said, given the way the team collapsed down the stretch, it does lead credibility that this kind of mess was going on behind the scenes. Peters also didn't come across as a guy who would take criticism or adjust from 'his way' very well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he names Williams captain he’ll be off to a good start, but like was just said it would be nice to go into a season knowing the guy we have as coach can do the job.

You know, not even that pissed that Waddell is Gm. I think he’s capable and very likely to make some moves, and they may be good ones.

It’s TD and the whole presentation we’ve been shown. Everything that was said that is now just comical. That and if Waddell just whispered the right things in the owners ear to get himself there.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
If he names Williams captain he’ll be off to a good start, but like was just said it would be nice to go into a season knowing the guy we have as coach can do the job.

You know, not even that pissed that Waddell is Gm. I think he’s capable and very likely to make some moves, and they may be good ones.

It’s TD and the whole presentation we’ve been shown. Everything that was said that is now just comical. That and if Waddell just whispered the right things in the owners ear to get himself there.
Only the players know if brindy can be a capable coach.

Something interesting I read a few days ago
Carolina Hurricanes H.C.: What The New-Look Canes Might Have In Common With European Football

I just hope we don't lose tulsky and vellucci

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Waddell was not the problem in Atlanta. That started and ended with an ownership that was openly antagonistic towards actually owning the team.

Let's not kid ourselves, he was somewhere in the bottom 5 during his time there.

I'm still pretty livid about this and Brindy as coach so I'll be talking out of my ass a lot but I couldn't believe Waddell lasted as long as he did and then got a promotion in their last year in Atlanta. I was not happy when Karmanos hired him for whatever position was given to him because of this very possibility. Now it's reality and we're going on a decade of no playoffs. There's zero excitement from me today, f***ing zero. I've been patient long enough, it's getting close to the end now.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
https://www.tsn.ca/canes-name-brind-amour-coach-waddell-gm-1.1079227

Has anybody seen this O-Dog and Craig Button segment?

What worries me is the part where he talks about guys who were getting interviewed for the GM position were saying half way through "I don't even want this job, this is embarrassing".

There's only 31 GM jobs in the NHL and guys are saying "I don't want to work with this owner"

This is not a good situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->