Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Makes me wonder if a couple early exits have the Leafs questioning whether the golden boy's approach is what they want to go with long term.

I don't think that is the case at all. They went from worst in the league to giving the best regular season team in the east (Caps) a huge run for their money last year as an 8th seed. Just making the playoffs last year was a huge win for them and nobody expected it to start the season. This year, it sucked, but they got a crappy draw playing a team that was the 2nd best team in the east, lost their 2C for 3 games and still gave the Bruins all they could handle.

If this was a situation where they were a mature team that was playing inferior opponents and continuously losing (like the Caps), then maybe it would come into play, but this is young team that has made huge strides in 2 years and lost to teams that should have beat them in the playoffs.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Dundon just has basically zero imbedded influence which will push him to hire a name.

Are you kidding? Don Waddell and Rick Dudley have a combined 70 years of "embedded influence" between them and have worked with everyone in hockey, and they've got a hotshot ex-agent to manage the contracts.

Dundon isn't forced to do anything. That's the point here. Is it possible that he finds the perfect guy outside the org and hires him? Yes, it is possible. But the hiring of Rick Dudley was a clear-as-day message. They've got Plan B sorted. If Plan A works out, great. If not, they're rolling with these guys.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Are you kidding? Don Waddell and Rick Dudley have a combined 70 years of "embedded influence" between them and have worked with everyone in hockey, and they've got a hotshot ex-agent to manage the contracts.

Dundon isn't forced to do anything. That's the point here. Is it possible that he finds the perfect guy outside the org and hires him? Yes, it is possible. But the hiring of Rick Dudley was a clear-as-day message. They've got Plan B sorted. If Plan A works out, great. If not, they're rolling with these guys.

Waddell and Dudley have made their case and been retained/hired. I trust Dundon’s ability to discern what type of management he wants. My point with Dubas is that he is likely to get paid by somebody (if not Toronto as suggested). If that team is the Canes then that will be because he is genuinely an impressive candidate worth a high salary.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think that is the case at all. They went from worst in the league to giving the best regular season team in the east (Caps) a huge run for their money last year as an 8th seed. Just making the playoffs last year was a huge win for them and nobody expected it to start the season. This year, it sucked, but they got a crappy draw playing a team that was the 2nd best team in the east, lost their 2C for 3 games and still gave the Bruins all they could handle.

If this was a situation where they were a mature team that was playing inferior opponents and continuously losing (like the Caps), then maybe it would come into play, but this is young team that has made huge strides in 2 years and lost to teams that should have beat them in the playoffs.

Yeah, I don't think they're down on him at all. He's in charge of the Marlies, and they're looking pretty fantastic at the moment. It's just that only one guy can get the job. Like Dundon said, there are only 31 of these jobs, and as of right now, only three look like they're turning over this off-season. That means most of the guys on long list of potentials (Lombardi, Fenton, BriseBois, Fitzgerald, Dubas, Hunter, Futa, Guerin, Zito, McCrimmon, Gilman, Greeley, etc.) are still going to be waiting their turn when the draft rolls around. They can't *all* get the Seattle job, either (or Detroit, if Holland leaves to run the Kraken).

Like Hank said, I think we're OK if we remove the "interim" from Waddell's title. He's not that bad, and he's probably learned a bit in his time away from the hot seat. And I like Dudley. But one of the things that Dundon's "hive-mind" plan has going for it is that you're always able to add another like-minded person to the mix. If Dubas gets passed over in Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised if we make a run at him. He's the kind of guy Dundon said he'd be willing to pay for.

Some of these guys are going to be returning Dundon's calls saying "tell me more about the model you were thinking about" once the music stops in Toronto and Minnesota and there's only one chair left. Call me a dick, but I can't wait to hear that Mike Futa reached out to us after he didn't even get a call from either Toronto or Minnesota, and the Kings "playoff run" lasted exactly four games.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ah, ok.

I think perhaps I misread this sentence: "I think Dundon just has basically zero imbedded influence which will push him to hire a name." What did you mean?

Bad way to say: (IMO) as a newer person to the NHL with a business background, Dundon isn’t as tied to the traditionalist way of thinking. He isn’t a lifetime NHL fan that would necessarily be impressed by “this guy is a hockey genius out of Toronto”. It’s fair to say he won’t overpay Dubas based on name and reputation alone. However I also believe it is possible that by merit Dubas is qualified enough to warrant a GM position with a higher-than-average salary.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Bad way to say: (IMO) as a newer person to the NHL with a business background, Dundon isn’t as tied to the traditionalist way of thinking. He isn’t a lifetime NHL fan that would necessarily be impressed by “this guy is a hockey genius out of Toronto”. It’s fair to say he won’t overpay Dubas based on name and reputation alone. However I also believe it is possible that by merit Dubas is qualified enough to warrant a GM position with a higher-than-average salary.

Yes, I completely misunderstood and now violently agree with you.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes, I completely misunderstood and now violently agree with you.

We're gonna need a police report on that.

Some of these guys are going to be returning Dundon's calls saying "tell me more about the model you were thinking about" once the music stops in Toronto and Minnesota and there's only one chair left. Call me a dick, but I can't wait to hear that Mike Futa reached out to us after he didn't even get a call from either Toronto or Minnesota, and the Kings "playoff run" lasted exactly four games.

This is very true. Given the other GM spots in a more traditional model, we're likely not the #1 choice for any of the big names. But I bet that we're at least #3 for more than three guys. Only so many chairs, some of these guys will be calling soon. You only get so many shots at one of those jobs, if you're offered a chance to move up and don't, who knows if you're still the hot new thing in 3 years when somebody you want to work for might be looking, or in 10 years when your current boss retires.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
We're gonna need a police report on that.

This is very true. Given the other GM spots in a more traditional model, we're likely not the #1 choice for any of the big names. But I bet that we're at least #3 for more than three guys. Only so many chairs, some of these guys will be calling soon. You only get so many shots at one of those jobs, if you're offered a chance to move up and don't, who knows if you're still the hot new thing in 3 years when somebody you want to work for might be looking, or in 10 years when your current boss retires.
Very true, although a number of them already said “thanks but no thanks” because of the money/“collaborative” approach. So...

There aren’t too many bigger names than Paul Fenton when it comes to the “next big thing” in the GM world. It’s usually him/BriseBois/Fitzgerald when the usual suspects are brought up. And he flat balked at the salary. This may take some time and a guy who’s willing to embrace Dundon rather than raise his eyebrows at him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Y’all need to pump the brakes on your enthusiasm and listen to Hank. We already have our GM and we just need to wait on him to embrace his inner Dick Cheney to make it official.

To be clear: I still think Waddell is Plan B. But it's a strong Plan B that allows Dundon to choose Plan A only if it suits him precisely.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So in other teams looking for a GM news, there's some pretty serious smoke around Lou Lamoriello becoming the Isles GM. Sounds like Snow is finally getting shoved out after the whole losing Tavares for nothing thing. So he's available. :sarcasm:

Anyway, thought that was interesting at the very least. One more moving part to all of this.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll believe Snow isn't completely bulletproof when I see it. That man has more lives than a cat.

Other GMs have saved his job more than once by correcting his mistakes. EDM took Reinhart off his hands for a 1st rounder that ended up being Barzal and took Strome off of his hands for Eberle. Calgary took Hamonic, when it was known he wanted to leave, for a 1st (which ended up being a lottery eligible pick), and two seconds. Buffalo signed Okposo to a huge deal. etc...

I'm just waiting for some team to trade for Dal Colle and Ladd to correct two more of his mistakes.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Other GMs have saved his job more than once by correcting his mistakes. EDM took Reinhart off his hands for a 1st rounder that ended up being Barzal and took Strome off of his hands for Eberle. Calgary took Hamonic, when it was known he wanted to leave, for a 1st (which ended up being a lottery eligible pick), and two seconds. Buffalo signed Okposo to a huge deal. etc...

I'm just waiting for some team to trade for Dal Colle and Ladd to correct two more of his mistakes.

former gritty canes player? we can correct at least one of those mistakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad