Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There is something wrong with this interviewing process, when two people have withdrawn. There are only 31 NHL GM spots in the world, it's a goal for almost every AGM and they are withdrawing? Something is very fishy about this situation.

Depends if they're actually withdrawing or if Dundon's eliminating them and it becomes a "withdrawal" to save face.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There's a lot we don't know yet that may become more apparent by the final candidate chosen. It certainly may be a case of either or both sides not wanting to pursue the relationship. Removing their names could be a way of saving face as Blueline Bomber mentioned. Both candidates that have confirmed not being in the process anymore have been in their organizations a long time and may be very set in certain ways. Perhaps Dundon's proposed structure isn't crazy, but just far enough outside the norm of what these two have dealt with in their lengthy tenures with other teams. Maybe they haven't meshed with Dundon on a personal level like Francis didn't.

Of course, it could be any of the negative things that have been speculated with meddling owner, money issues, reduced role, whatever. We'll see who we end up with. I'm sure there will be some rumblings after the fact.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Tom Fitzgerald pulls out of contention, but after Friedman reach him for comment said "This is nothing against Tom Dundon. I am very happy in New Jersey and this is not the right time for me."

At the very least, you have to wonder how many guys will actually interview unless there are mystery candidates we don't know about.

I guess maybe there's an outside shot that some of these candidates have an inkling that someone else has the inside track too. Hard to know what to think at this point.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The more candidates that withdraw before (apparently) being interviewed, the more I'm thinking this entire thing was a smokescreen.

Either Dundon had a candidate lined up and this "search" is all for show, or the candidates are hearing something pre-interview that is immediately turning them off of the job.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Outsider, but I personally feel candidates are withdrawing before they interview because they don’t want to be micromanaged, and know that’s what Dundon is going to do.
It's a possibility, but people were speculating that he was going to meddle or micromanage from the second Francis was let go. Why not just turn down the initial interest? Why even let your team you are currently with give permission for you to be interviewed? It's all very odd.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Depends if they're actually withdrawing or if Dundon's eliminating them and it becomes a "withdrawal" to save face.
This definitely happens, someone feels like they have no shot and they make a public withdrawal to keep their “record” of applying for GM jobs intact.

I am hearing that Vellucci is a serious candidate. Prepare yourselves just in case.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Is there a legit reason why we wouldn't want the guy from Buffalo? I don't know anything about him other than what's easy to look up, but prior to this short stint with Buffalo, he was with some successful organizations. He's young and might be open to some more progressive ideas.

I guess the negatives I can see are lack of experience, and perhaps lending credence to the puppet GM thing. Just wondering if there is another reason.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is there a legit reason why we wouldn't want the guy from Buffalo? I don't know anything about him other than what's easy to look up, but prior to this short stint with Buffalo, he was with some successful organizations. He's young and might be open to some more progressive ideas.

I guess the negatives I can see are lack of experience, and perhaps lending credence to the puppet GM thing. Just wondering if there is another reason.

I think we're all just sick of being a clownshow and want somebody who understands the habits of a highly successful organization inside and out. Buffalo has been a highly dysfunctional organization, and while he might be a decent candidate in some circumstances, I would feel far more comfortable with somebody from an organization that's known to be much stronger.

But then, I was against the Steve Smith hire because he was coming from the dumpster fire that is Edmonton, and he's turned out to be the only member of our coaching staff worth a damn, so whadda I know. I'm happy to keep an open mind as long as it's somebody from outside of the organization. We absolutely need a fresh perspective.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Go on......

It’s advantageous for these candidates to accept interest and subsequentially withdraw their interest because it gets their name into the hockey world and media, which would otherwise would never really mentioned.

These are guys who are doing their time under GMs and are wanting to advance to the next level. They want their name to be known that they were considered, as it will help drawing future job interviews.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I wonder if it's a mixture of things making these GM's drop out.

- Scared away by Dundon being a bit too involved?

- They don't agree with Dundon's vision

- Don't like North Carolina

- Don't like the current mold of the team and may be too challenging of a job

- Not ready to commit to anything with the playoffs starting soon

- A lot of the candiates may be more intrigued by the upcoming Seattle hockey gig

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

- A lot of the candiates may be more intrigued by the upcoming Seattle hockey gig
At least one of them was probably here on Monday night for the snow. They were like WTF is this shit, i thought it doesn’t snow in NC??? Screw this...

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

It's us.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think we're all just sick of being a clownshow and want somebody who understands the habits of a highly successful organization inside and out. Buffalo has been a highly dysfunctional organization, and while he might be a decent candidate in some circumstances, I would feel far more comfortable with somebody from an organization that's known to be much stronger.

But then, I was against the Steve Smith hire because he was coming from the dumpster fire that is Edmonton, and he's turned out to be the only member of our coaching staff worth a damn, so whadda I know. I'm happy to keep an open mind as long as it's somebody from outside of the organization. We absolutely need a fresh perspective.

So his one partial season in Buffalo outweighs two years in a 100 point Rangers organization, at least one somewhat successful looking year at Boston University out of a couple years, and a number of years with LA, including their rise into a Cup winner?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can't see how Velluci is an auto-failure as the GM. There's a lot to suggest that we should expect good things from him.
I agree. Like I said, the only reason I'm not a fan is he's not a fresh set of eyes from outside the failures of the organization and the most recent regime. But he's had some solid experience in his past, and we don't know how much he supported the way things were or weren't run. He may also just be a phenomenal fit for the structure Dundon wants in place and click great with his personality.

It's not the kind of decision that would make me give up the team. I'm willing to give Dundon and his choice a chance. We might all be surprised in a positive way by the results. Just not the way I'd go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad