Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Because he's not new and shiny he must automatically suck, of course!
No, he's just from an organization that sucks. One that sucks worse than almost any other NHL franchise in the 2010s not named the Oilers.

But just because others won't be happy with the hire doesn't mean you can't be. Just don't be surprised if we suck again for another decade.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I can't see how Velluci is an auto-failure as the GM. There's a lot to suggest that we should expect good things from him.

There's a pile of rotting corpses in our front office that nobody who works there can smell anymore because they've been in the same room with them for so long. We need a fairly massive cultural shift, and you simply can't find that with somebody who's been part of the leadership group that created the existing culture.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
How is Mark Cuban's working relationship with the Maverick's GM? If Dundon sees himself stylistically similar to Cuban, this may provide some insight as to the type of candidate he is looking for.

I'd say pretty good. Donnie Nelson Jr. was the assistant GM under his father who was also the coach when Cuban bought the team. The younger Nelson was the one who helped pull the trigger on the Nowitzki for Robert Traylor draft-day trade. I think when Cuban bought the team he promoted Jr to full-time GM and had Sr focus on the coaching.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If it comes down to money thats gonna some hilarious ****. My guess is it's Dundon. He sounds like a micro manager. Have no clue if he actually is, but all of his talk about being hands on might be spooking potentials. We'll see.
Yep. I think we went from one problem type owner (absentee, cheap) to another problem type (know it all, meddling). We’ll see if that works any better.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
This is stupid. Not going with the GM until the off season is a terrible idea.

How could it be a terrible idea? The last thing we need is the wrong person. They aren't making the playoffs, so everything is on autopilot at this point. Dundon obviously wants a specific type of person he can work well with. He's probably high maintenance, but that comes with being a billionaire businessman. That person will take some time to find.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
How could it be a terrible idea? The last thing we need is the wrong person. They aren't making the playoffs, so everything is on autopilot at this point. Dundon obviously wants a specific type of person he can work well with. He's probably high maintenance, but that comes with being a billionaire businessman. That person will take some time to find.

Hire a GM in off season. No prepare for draft, no understand team, not know what moves to make. Train wreck city

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad