Proposal: Following the Karlsson Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That's not really what was meant to be taken away from my post, I would disagree about how just because it's his money and technically his team, fans aren't allowed to be critical of how he runs it or his actions.

He decided to buy a hockey team. A hockey team is a very tribalistic business. It's so tribalisitic that it provided him a platform to have his life saved via a fan feeling so strong about their connection to the team that they stepped up and donated a liver to him.

He can't expect to have it both ways. Benefit from the tribalism of this business, but not have to faith the wrath of that tribalism when there is a perception that he is not financially committed enough to the team and is otherwise holding it hostage by refusing to sell it. Given the type of business the NHL is, he deserves whatever criticism comes as a result of those actions.
I dont disagree
He's earned his criticism

But he is Eugene Melnyk

And he wants to run the show

When the truth comes out we'll learn it was not EK decision

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Most people won't admit this, but you're right.

Melnyk gets **** for being a WWF character, but not enough people called out Karlsson for that comment.

Nothing Karlsson said was wrong or offensive, but the idea that a 27 year old captain who has been entrenched in the hockey world all his life doesn't understand (or understands but doesn't care) about the possible ramifications of that comment at the time is surprising. We all make mistakes, but letting Due rope him into that was idiotic if Karlsson's goal at the time was to make things work here in Ottawa.

Anybody with half a brain in their head could have realized that given the type of situation we've got here in Ottawa, that what Karlsson said in response wasn't productive. He let the media and Due Doughty bait him.

I don't think you can compare 1 comment EK made which is 100% true to all the BS Melnyck has said in his time here in Ottawa.

Melnyck likes to negotiate in the press, why can't the players? If it's good for the goose.

This was also post Turris when the team was emotionally done from seeing their buddy leave and tied to Doughty's comments, so a bit on context and perspective.

EK is a very respectful person in interviews, Melnyck never is. Can't compare the two.

Reactions: MarkStone

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Because that one player is worth the ticket fans pay for - despite his poor form this season (major surgery, no training camp, adjustments, team suckage, etc.).

The fall out from an EK trade will be massive.

I don't necessarily agree with this especially given how he has played this yr. Alfredsson left, Spezza got traded & so did Gretzky & the fan bases survived. While the majority on here would care, it may not be reflective of the overall fan base who are not as hard core may have already started buying into another rebuild with this team. The upheaval might last a week in this social media world where everyday there is something new & crazy happening somewhere.

And again not to mention how many fans have already stopped going to games or switched their allegiances to the Redblacks. I do however, agree with you that this could be all settled after July 1 when we find out whether Karlsson has signed an extension or gets traded. I doubt they allow him to play out the yr without a contract & walk into free agency or sign him later in the yr wouldn't make much sense either. Should be interesting.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think you can compare 1 comment EK made which is 100% true to all the BS Melnyck has said in his time here in Ottawa.

Melnyck likes to negotiate in the press, why can't the players? If it's good for the goose.

This was also post Turris when the team was emotionally done from seeing their buddy leave and tied to Doughty's comments, so a bit on context and perspective.

EK is a very respectful person in interviews, Melnyck never is. Can't compare the two.

I am not taking issue with the content of his comments, only that (if he valued staying in Ottawa) he should have been smart enough not to be baited into those comments. There's nothing inherently wrong with him wanting to do what is best business wise for Erik Karlsson, but to say it in that venue was foolish if he wanted to stay in Ottawa.

He's been in the hockey world all his life, to not understand how those sort of comments would be perceived in a world as conservative as the hockey world is foolish. Not only that, to not understand the possible ramifications of those comments when he plays for a team owned by someone like Eugene Melnyk.

The opening of my post probably wasn't a fair comparison since as you've said, Karlsson historically has never rocked the boat where as Melnyk does it every time he speaks. I still stand by the rest of my post, that if Karlsson's intentions were to stay in Ottawa, those comments being made in the media were incredibly foolish and counter productive.

Reactions: coladin

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

No one is comparing anything. We're just pointing out that what he said at that specific time was idiotic.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Waiting till the summer makes the most sense.
Sens can sit down with him and have real discussion. #ThePlan should be unfolding and be more evident and measurable. Playoff teams currently closer to the cap and loading up for their run keeping their UFAs and perhaps collecting more will be more in on Karlsson; so the number of teams with real interest will go up.. The ability for other teams with serious interest to be given permission to talk extension agreement with Karlsson

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Waiting till the summer makes the most sense.
Sens can sit down with him and have real discussion. #ThePlan should be unfolding and be more evident and measurable. Playoff teams currently closer to the cap and loading up for their run keeping their UFAs and perhaps collecting more will be more in on Karlsson; so the number of teams with real interest will go up.. The ability for other teams with serious interest to be given permission to talk extension agreement with Karlsson

Yep. Can't forget that by July 1, Sens will also have acquired their draft pick.

It's a low chance, but they could have Rasmus Dahlin, which in theory could change how EK65 feels about playing in Ottawa, and would also likely change how Ottawa views their D core options going forward.

Even if they don't get #1, all the pre-draft trades will have been done, they would have their new pick, and you'd have a good idea what's happening for the next couple of years.

I hate how fickle everyone is, but them being like.. yeah sorry we had to trade the Captain and best player we've ever had.. but look! We have #1 overall pick Dahlin here now! Look everyone! And a bunch of people going for it.. because especially on Hfboards.. nothing is better than shiny new prospect.. and a #1 pick? Ooooo boy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No one is comparing anything. We're just pointing out that what he said at that specific time was idiotic.

What? Why?

He’s in trade rumours. His buddies all get traded. He’s best friend got shafted by the owner and his loyalty questioned by Melnyck.

Why do the players have to tow this stupid ‘don’t rock the boat’ decorum while management and ownership can talk about the Turris neogationins, trading Phaneuf in the summer, contract extensions to players who are on the ice (Turris, Stone, EK)...but the people we pay to listen to and watch are supposed to say nothing?

This is a very hockey culture things. Good Canadian boys mentality. NBA, NFL players say what they feel, culture is totally different

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What? Why?

He’s in trade rumours. His buddies all get traded. He’s best friend got shafted by the owner and his loyalty questioned by Melnyck.

Why do the players have to tow this stupid ‘don’t rock the boat’ decorum while management and ownership can talk about the Turris neogationins, trading Phaneuf in the summer, contract extensions to players who are on the ice (Turris, Stone, EK)...but the people we pay to listen to and watch are supposed to say nothing?

This is a very hockey culture things. Good Canadian boys mentality. NBA, NFL players say what they feel, culture is totally different
Who cares what NBA and NFL players say. Why are you COMPARING?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What? Why?

Your post shows you understand exactly what I am talking about, but maybe we're just mis-communicating.

I agree with your last sentence about hockey culture. I think it is lame. But Erik Karlsson has been around hockey long enough to know how things are. He has every right to say what he wants, nobody is saying he doesn't. What I am saying is that knowing how players speaking out is taken in the hockey world, and knowing the temperament of ownership in Ottawa, if his desire was to re-sign in Ottawa, his comments were foolish because they were completely counter productive to that goal.

Management and ownership cannot talk about what they want without consequence. I'm not sure what gives you that idea. Melnyk was roasted for his tight five during the Heritage Classic weekend. There have been extreme consequences that have snowballed as a result of the kinds of things Melnyk has said in the media. It's a completely separate issue than a specific Karlsson interview being foolish on his part.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
According to the NMC details on Cap Friendly .. the 8 team list and subsequently the 10 team list of teams he can be traded to does not kick in until 2021. Do you have additional details?
Looks like full NMC until 21/22. Then the modifiers kick in.
upload_2018-2-21_13-6-17.png

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Heres an idea, if this happens the rebuild is in full swing.

You'll be able to tell pretty soon if thats true.

Rebuild the franchise, get some good solid young talent, and then by the time theyre getting decent you are moving into your new stadium.

Franchise takes a hit 1-2 years. Then its valued at what... .75 bil by 20-21/22? Sell it. Profit. Man Meylnk is really king of the long con
This team won’t do a proper rebuild. The second we barely exceed expectations, we’ll try to make a win-now move.

Melnyk might bring up “rebuild” again as an excuse to cut costs. We’ve seen it all before.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The other thing that sucks about Lucic's deal is that it's buy-out proof... the majority of the money is in signing bonuses.

At least Ryan's deal is all salary and can be bought out (assuming he is property of a team that can afford to do so).
Ryan has signicant Bonuses as well..........................................................................V
4m7V8N.jpg

but Lucic has more. That is a dog of a contract to move... man Chia must love the guy

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
So its either Draisatl straight up for EK or Tampa Vegas or else for EK+Ryan

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So its either Draisatl straight up for EK or Tampa Vegas or else for EK+Ryan
Looking at that Lucic contract .. I want no part of it if he'd waive his NMC... its one cushy deal he got there. 5 more years for a 6 m $ 3rd liner; that you cannot trade and cannot buy out. I'd keep Ryan. If the EK is on the move and the Sens can get Drai ... without exchanging Lucic and Ryan .. I'd be all in on that.
Some people are seeing a good Vegas fit.. I'm not sure Vegas would want to rock their boat that much.
IMO if the Sens trade EK.. They need a big piece coming back.. Drai fits that. Eichel would as well.. I'd want that kind of piece.

I think Vegas may go for Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad