Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'd rather keep Ryan and trade Karlsson for Drai + unprotected 1st
Id rather Tavares and Barzal but...

EDM wont do that
DRAIS is ppg elite 1C
They wont give what could be another top 1C in the form of a top 5 pick in this year draft without shedding some dead wood

Reactions: senswon

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Everyone is ignoring the obvious angle here...

This is all a propaganda campaign by Rogers AKA the Toronto Maple Leafs AKA Sportsnet. Notice how this is always coming from them? They are just using media influence to turn the people of Ottawa against Karlsson and gut their team ensuring that they don't ever have to worry about us in the standings. The consensus here seems to be that this is working as many are OK with trading him now and seem to be accepting the idea that he'll be gone. The more the fans have turned on him, the more the media can report on that public opinion, the more EK can hear it and say "F it I'm outta here".

Reactions: Silencio

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Have there been any actual solid rumours connecting Karlsson to Tampa? I feel like this is all based on the fact he smiled at Hedman during the All Star game or something.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Do they want to trade him to a div rival
Thats the question

But no doubt its a good return

Well Erik's 10 team list probably only has six or seven potential suitors for cap and logistical reasons.

Would be better for the organization depth wise but I could see a Ryan + EK for Brannstrom, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, Grabovski (dump) from Vegas too.

Reactions: Alex1234

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Do they want to trade him to a div rival
Thats the question

But no doubt its a good return

If they are going for a FULL rebuild, then trading within the division doesn't matter, because you are weakening the long-term of the franchise you are trading with by acquiring futures from them. By the time you are ready to contend, they will have already peaked and their window should theoretically be closed.

If you are just re-tooling and planning on competing in the division next year, then yeah, it's a hard decision.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Everyone is ignoring the obvious angle here...

This is all a propaganda campaign by Rogers AKA the Toronto Maple Leafs AKA Sportsnet. Notice how this is always coming from them? They are just using media influence to turn the people of Ottawa against Karlsson and gut their team ensuring that they don't ever have to worry about us in the standings. The consensus here seems to be that this is working as many are OK with trading him now and seem to be accepting the idea that he'll be gone. The more the fans have turned on him, the more the media can report on that public opinion, the more EK can hear it and say "F it I'm outta here".

I'd agree with you if guys like Bob McKenzie weren't reporting that Dorion is willing to make a trade.

Yeah if thats the case then its probably Vegas or Anaheim or a western team

If I was a betting man, I'd bet money on Vegas acquiring Erik Karlsson by Monday. It's too much of a perfect storm in their shoes not to happen. Last week I would have predicted TBL, but now with the Ryan contract being tacked on it completely changes everything. Vegas are in a position of strength by being the only team in the league who can take Ryan+Karlsson and not only make it work long term, but also assuming Dorion is only asking for a deal heavy in 1st round picks+prospects could make the deal without having to give their contending team a facelift.

Imagine if you're Vegas owner Bill Foley.....I doubt owners watch every NHL game or anything, but I'm sure he was paying some attention during last year's playoffs when every talking head was putting Karlsson up there with Crosby and McDavind by tagging him as a top 3 player and the undisputed best defender in the league. He's young, good looking, exciting to watch....all of a sudden you've got a Presidents trophy team, and your team is in a position to absolutely steal him from Ottawa for a paltry sum of 3 1st round picks and a few prospects.....Prospects come and go, but acquiring Erik Karlsson is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the fact that for Vegas they could do it in their first year as a franchise. It's unfathomable.

The only reason Karlsson gets traded (if he does) is because this is the Ottawa Senators, we are owned by Eugene Melnyk, and this entire situation has been manufactured by his actions over the last 5 or so years. If you're Foley+McPhee, you've gotta get this done now. Worry about re-stocking the cupboards later.

As far as (yeah but what if Karlsson walks from VGK), Vegas was on the list of teams Doug MacLean leaked claiming they were Karlsson's trade list. Obviously, we all know Karlsson has a 20 team trade list and there weren't 20 teams on the list. So if there was any legitimacy to that list, the implication was probably that those were teams Karlsson would play for, not necessarily the only teams he could be sent to. Vegas was on that list.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If they are going for a FULL rebuild, then trading within the division doesn't matter, because you are weakening the long-term of the franchise you are trading with by acquiring futures from them. By the time you are ready to contend, they will have already peaked and their window should theoretically be closed.

If you are just re-tooling and planning on competing in the division next year, then yeah, it's a hard decision.
Good point

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh...I like Bobby Mac, but even his credibility has been waning lately. Ever since those NHL emails were released a year or two ago showing several journalists trying to push their pet causes, it has really soured the entire press corps in hockey.

I'll believe Erik is gone only after a trade happens.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Have there been any actual solid rumours connecting Karlsson to Tampa? I feel like this is all based on the fact he smiled at Hedman during the All Star game or something.

You're close, it's actually because he made a long pass to Kucherov or Stamkos and everyone immediately thought "wow they are awesome together!" and that was that. A thread appeared on the main boards speculating Karlsson to Tampa about 5 minutes after that pass.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think talks for Karlsson will heat up at the draft when he will be allowed to sign a new contract. The team trading for him will want a guarantee he will re-sign.

Karlsson will not be allowed to sign a "new contract" (extension) until July 1st.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't think he gets traded by Monday. Trading karlsson is such a monumental thing that's it's going to get dragged out for a little bit longer. I think July is when things will get serious.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Karlsson will not be allowed to sign a "new contract" (extension) until July 1st.

I'm sure he was referring to a verbal agreement. A "handshake deal", so to speak.

Basically, the same kind of agreement teams and players used to make in UFA when you would have guys sign complicated multi-million dollar contracts at 12:01 on July 1st, knowing that they technically weren't allowed to even be talking 90 seconds before the deal was signed.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Exactly.

Just look at this organization. Why in God's name would he stay? He's not resigning here so we might as well trade him.

The teams been prepping us for a trade for a while now. It seems to be coming to a head. Well get to watch him win a couple cups for someone else.

Erik Karlsson and his (Ottawa native) Wife just a purchased a home in the Glebe and just moved into it in December.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
If I was a betting man, I'd bet money on Vegas acquiring Erik Karlsson by Monday.

Always bet on the house :sarcasm:

Seriously a Vegas deal makes sense for the reasons you've laid out.... though Dorion will have a hard enough time explaining a Karlsson trade to the Ottawa fanbase; how on earth he'll justify getting a few mid tier picks back as compensation will be fascinating to watch.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

iu

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

This is a good point.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Erik Karlsson and his (Ottawa native) Wife just a purchased a home in the Glebe and just moved into it in December.
They bought the house last spring and had been doing major reno's until they moved in, in December. He's also stated that Ottawa will be home regardless of where he plays hockey, so I wouldn't get to hung up on him having a new house here.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You're close, it's actually because he made a long pass to Kucherov or Stamkos and everyone immediately thought "wow they are awesome together!" and that was that. A thread appeared on the main boards speculating Karlsson to Tampa about 5 minutes after that pass.

Well they would be awesome together. I could even see Karlsson taking a pay cut as long as it means playing with Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman through his prime. + Nice weather and a tax free state.

While Tampa gets him for 2 playoff runs at a bargain price of 6.5 million.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawa is still a super attractive option for EK - he's the Captain, it's a Canadian Team, high profile conference, Captain of a Canadian Team no less, sponsorship, and he's the man.

When Alfie left for Detroit he said he missed being the man. EK can still be the man here for a long time, and that's attractive.

Stamkos signed for $8.5. Money is a big component, but Ottawa has a lot to offer EK on top of money that he may or may not get in other NHL cities.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Theodore, Glass, Tuch, 1st

For EK and Ryan?

I ain't budging about Drai or bust. If we trading EK I want a bonafide star returning. That Vegas option looks mighty nice tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad