Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Players like having money.
That may be true for players in a contract year. But what about players like Sanheim or Farabee? They wouldn't have to perform like are now and still get paid for 5+ years.
If you like it or not, Tortorella obviously knows which buttons to push.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That may be true for players in a contract year. But what about players like Sanheim or Farabee? They wouldn't have to perform like are now and still get paid for 5+ years.

What are they going to do? Sulk for years? That still kills their value. That's not how hockey really works. Players strongly tend to buy in and put out the effort. We saw it with players still giving it their all with Berube, Hakstol, and AV.

It isn't an accident that Tortorella had full player revolts in NY and Vancouver.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
nuke-press-the-button.gif

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Never saw that poll tbh, so I can't comment on that. But why would the players work so hard if they hated their coach? Out of fear? In that case that seems to be working, as well.
In the hope that a better team will trade for them? Just a wild guess.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why wouldn't we question a guy who hasn't been able to get a team over the hump since the 2005 lockout and who makes one bizarre lineup decision after another?

Look, you can't question him. He is an authority. But so are the players. Oh god being positive hurts, but I will persevere for the good of all

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If you like your job but hate your boss what do you do. My previous boss was a micromanaging clown but I still showed up to work everyday and did my job

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If you like your job but hate your boss what do you do. My previous boss was a micromanaging clown but I still showed up to work everyday and did my job
Of course, they're professionals. But players don't even have to like their coach. They just have to respect him and trust in his abilities to coach. And when I look at this team right now, I don't see a single player that's underperforming relative to expectations. So he must be doing something right.

I'm not even a fan of Tortorella and his tough love approach may seem antiquated at times, but I can't ignore the fact that he seems to be able to get the best out of his players. He's only in his second year and we've already had a handful of players that have had career years under him. That doesn't happen if the players want him gone sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There's more than one way to coach and get results.

You can call your players toilet seats and bench them in their hometowns. You can go wakeboarding in your down time. You can drink martinis. You can bake a cake. You can get cancer.

We've certainly run the gamut of coaching styles and personalities. I think any given one of them can win, and they are one important variable in a veritable stew of variables.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There's more than one way to coach and get results.

You can call your players toilet seats and bench them in their hometowns. You can go wakeboarding in your down time. You can drink martinis. You can bake a cake. You can get cancer.

We've certainly run the gamut of coaching styles and personalities. I think any given one of them can win, and they are one important variable in a veritable stew of variables.
Any are viable other than martini coach. He was the worst of the bunch to me.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Torts wishes he was as successful as Doc.

Tortorella has won 4 playoff rounds since the 03-04 Lightning. And I think there's a pretty easy argument he's more successful than Glenn Rivers relative to expectations. Imagine if Tortorella coached a prime Kucherov/Hedman/Point-era Lightning team for 15 years and made maybe one ECF. A truly special talent pisser hopping from contender to contender.

Doc is a nice guy and not a pathological liar.

Doc is every bit as much of a political animal as Tortorella. He just claps more and has more tact with throwing people under buses. Loves to control narratives and make himself the hero, usually after the fact.

I also don't know if Tortorella would have traded rookie Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Even Tortorella gives young players far more rope than Doc.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Tortorella has won 4 playoff rounds since the 03-04 Lightning. And I think there's a pretty easy argument he's more successful than Glenn Rivers relative to expectations. Imagine if Tortorella coached a prime Kucherov/Hedman/Point-era Lightning team for 15 years and made maybe one ECF. A truly special talent pisser hopping from contender to contender.

Doc is every bit as much of a political animal as Tortorella. He just claps more and has more tact with throwing people under buses. Loves to control narratives and make himself the hero, usually after the fact.

I also don't know if Tortorella would have traded rookie Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Even Tortorella gives young players far more rope than Doc.

Won 4 playoff rounds and missed the playoffs 7 times. He wishes he was Doc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00