Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Late to the party but this organization would be dumb enough to not understand what Cutter wants from his contract. Only this dumb organization would think not having a carry over in a non competing season would be important.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Can we at least entertain the possibility that keeping the trade request a media secret meant nothing and the Flyers rushed into a trade on January 8th, with 18-20 suitors, for a player with development time missed/spoiled, attaching themselves to the superficiality of a former 6th overall RHD profile at the advice of Super Defense Guru, Bob Murray?

(I'm still very okay with Drysdale's season getting a mulligan. There's a future where he's a 2nd pair guy. Injuries factored. But the risk-reward was always misconstrued at both ends and the narratives were story hour as the team did a bat flip thinking it was a home run.)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can we at least entertain the possibility that keeping the trade request a secret meant nothing and the Flyers rushed into a trade on January 8th, with 18-20 suitors, for a player with development time missed/spoiled, attaching themselves to the superficiality of a former 6th overall RHD profile at the advice of Bob Murray?

(I'm still very okay with Drysdale's season getting a mulligan. But the risk-reward was always misconstrued at both ends and the narratives story hour.)

Adding talent for their deep playoff run.

• Wow
Reactions: trostol and Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Adding talent for their deep playoff run.

You won't convince me the idea of adding a player this season, for the immediate gratification of an over-performing team, didn't factor in.

I think this is one of the most important value trades in recent years, and the process was so horribly terribly botched. For the "Briere has done so well" people, this was the major trade so far with any difficulty setting beyond Easy or Normal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I mean...Button is kind of a moron. Theres not a chance in hell Gauthier is a better prospect than Michkov.

Michkov has a better chance at scoring 120 points in the NHL than Gauthier has at 80.

Right but he’s still good and not a common skill set.
You won't convince me the idea of adding a player this season, for the immediate gratification of an over-performing team, didn't factor in.

I think this is one of the most important value trades in recent years, and the process was so horribly terribly botched. For the "Briere has done so well" people, this was the major trade so far with any difficulty setting beyond Easy or Normal.

You have think they saw a bump for the PP as a big plus. Pretty sure the PP got worse.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The playmaking element he displayed his first couple weeks totally evaporating is what I want answers to......he devolved into Radko Gudas with his shot selection. Except Radko is less passive activating.

You have think they saw a bump for the PP as a big plus. Pretty sure the PP got worse.

Visually, pre-injury, he pretty clearly looked like the most dynamic PP presence up top. The PP is so grossly mismanaged, I'm in write-off territory, besides prior evaluations.

I said this with York every time pre and post-draft: I never saw PP1 QB skills. My threshold is very very high. And he's underperformed my conservative offensive projections, if anything! Drysdale has more weapons. Is he a PP1 guy? He'll get every opportunity, so there's that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The fact that people think Briere is doing well is a testament to how intensely awful the failson Fletcher was.

Nonetheless it was a committee. They kept the committee.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The playmaking element he displayed his first couple weeks totally evaporating is what I want answers to......he devolved into Radko Gudas with his shot selection. Except Radko is less passive activating.

Visually, pre-injury, he pretty clearly looked like the most dynamic PP presence up top. The PP is so grossly mismanaged, I'm in write-off territory, besides prior evaluations.

I said this with York every time pre and post-draft: I never saw PP1 QB skills. My threshold is very very high. And he's underperformed my conservative offensive projections, if anything! Drysdale has more weapons. Is he a PP1 guy? He'll get every opportunity, so there's that.

It's not a mystery. Flyers get an offensively minded dman and they feel the need to teach them old fashioned defense. The way it has always been. It's a deep seated need

• Wow
Reactions: renberg and Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not a mystery. Flyers get an offensively minded dman and they feel the need to teach them old fashioned defense. The way it has always been. It's a deep seated need

I agree with you with past cases, but in this instance, they gave a young offensive minded player a long leash with set-in-stone usage independent of results, didn't overly harp on the defense (as he was often burned), and hyped him as a rover. I'd love to rip the team, but I don't think they did nothing wrong with Drysdale in his 21 games. Hell, I applaud them for it. But I think it's a shiny new outlier based on how much they invested in him. The thing with Drysdale is he actually needs to showcase his offense.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Injuries don't necessarily define a player but you would imagine after the Nolan Patrick and Ryan Ellis injury sagas the Flyers would be a bit more cautious about trading for a player that already missed a season due to an injury. Not the same injuries at all but sheesh.

Just looking at Cutter's raw point totals it looks like he finished his college season strong. Where was the potential upside for this trade for the Flyers? Nowhere that I can tell.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I agree with you with past cases, but in this instance, they gave a young offensive minded player a long leash with set-in-stone usage independent of results, didn't overly harp on the defense (as he was often burned), and hyped him as a rover. I'd love to rip the team, but I don't think they did nothing wrong with Drysdale in his 21 games. Hell, I applaud them for it. But I think it's a shiny new outlier based on how much they invested in him. The thing with Drysdale is he actually needs to showcase his offense.

I love your optimism and it is excellently positive!

But this feels way, way too familiar. I've lost track of the number of cases where playmakery types get scuttled so they can focus on defense or old fashioned grindywork, and then once it's decided a player has sufficiently mastered that only then are they set free. Most recently (and therefore relevantly) we've seen this with Frost. Cates was determined to have mastered defense so they just let him free with all sorts of opportunity otherwise unearned. York was determined to be sound defensively, so the message was "go get 'em!" Hell, they decided JVR was too soft or something and deployed him to build his board battling skills, neglecting his actual skillset.

Drysdale was given freedom to start (an excellent break from essentially every trend!). But once he was hurt, I speculate recklessly that they had too much opportunity to fall back on habit. I bet he got many a lecture and film session about the virtues of safe play and letting the game come to him until he becomes defensively sound...once you do that Jamie my boy, you can make plays! But in reality it ends up being more of the always-seen suppression of what makes a player most worthwhile.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany