Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
If both were available in the same draft and the Flyers pick was 5th overall, who would you pick, Gauthier or Drysdale? Wait...if you pick Drysdale, the NHL will throw in a future 2nd rounder. Now who would you pick?
Does Drysdale skip his ELC as well, or are contracts ignored to maximize the point you are trying to make?

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
If this was a pattern then yes, perhaps you’d be correct. But is it?

Haven’t heard a single negative word from any current or ex coaches/teammates. And that stuff usually gets out. Heck, we heard whispers about Michkov being a bad teammate… Ithink those were BS, but still the point is not even a salacious rumor about cutter has made its way into the public eye.

All I see here is a guy who believes in himself, wants to get his career started and get closer to earning big $. He was going to be playing for a team that’s in a self proclaimed rebuild, lappy’s “development” of players in the AHL has been less than thrilling (to put it mildly) and Torts had shown a tendency to yo-yo prospects between the NHL and AHL, which can be horrendous for development.

I don’t see the big deal with giving your top prospect (at the time) a guaranteed opportunity to start the year.

If he isn’t ready and he’s embarrassing himself come December, you cross that bridge when you get to it. No different than the decision the organization is weighing right now with Brink’s terrible play of late.

So to appease any high draft pick, the Flyers should remove the coach, minor coach, GM and President?

It doesn't matter about his history, it matters what he has currently done and try to strong-arm the organization...it doesn't sit well and would be a distraction in the locker-room. Look at the Elvis situation in Columbus, he wants the starter position no matter what, because he thinks he deserves it...what a $hitshow.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
So to appease any high draft pick, the Flyers should remove the coach, minor coach, GM and President?

It doesn't matter about his history, it matters what he has currently done and try to strong-arm the organization...it doesn't sit well and would be a distraction in the locker-room. Look at the Elvis situation in Columbus, he wants the starter position no matter what, because he thinks he deserves it...what a $hitshow.
The Flyers should probably stick to drafting kids they have the exclusive rights too if they have become the sort of place kids with options don't want to come too.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia

I think you’re putting some serious words in my mouth lol.

No, the Flyers shouldn’t do any of what you said. Although, I’d argue they should fire Lappy for any number of reasons. If you have a few hours, I can run down all of them for you, or you can just search the AHL thread.

And I’d also argue that Torts should make a decided effort to come across less cruel to outsiders and stop this benching in hometowns nonsense because perceptions do matter.

But when you say you’re in a rebuild and your top prospect is excited and eager to start his career, he just wants you to guarantee him playing time with the big club, yes you should 1000% do that. Playing time for your young future stars is one of the absolute musts in a rebuild.

As I said, if after a few months it’s clear he wasn’t ready, well hey, then you reevaluate. But you cross that bridge after you’ve signed him and if you need to cross that bridge.

There’s no reason to pushback now as part of some dumb “culture” fetish.

Guaranteeing Cutter playing time is no different than when the front office demanded Morgan Frost see more of the ice last year.

Reactions: Larry44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not directly, but Hartnell (a paid employee) suggested it.

Whole situation is odd. I find it really odd that cutter and his agent are just sitting here and taking this defamation of his character if the flyers are really to blame.

I also find the way the Flyers have responded to be textbook “what I would do if I’m guilty” behavior. The media blitz, the ridiculous “he ghosted us and didn’t tell us why” story. Then using the mouthpieces to throw shit against the wall and see what sticks “he disrespected legends of the game!”, “Kevin Hayes’s fingerprints are all over this!” and now “He wanted ice time handed to him. He didn’t want to earn it.”

That would be a positively foolish move

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
A mature organization will look beyond their feelings and the perceptions of others to objectively discern what is best for the franchise. If it is reasonable to acquiesce to the request of your top-5 pick for ice time during a lost season so he can burn off a year, do it. If he is making demands and acting self-important beyond your pre-draft perception, find out why and address matters objectively. If the prima donna attitude persists, quietly look to trade him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Briere said it was Cutter who told the Flyers he was returning to BC.

In fact, when Cutter’s agent requested a meeting after the Worlds in May, Briere said he thought it was because Cutter changed his mind, & Briere had a contract ready.

Also, both Briere & Jones in separate interviews intimated that Cutter had expressed an unwillingness to sign as far back as a little over a year ago.

So there’s more to this story than just “Cutter was pissed Briere wouldn’t guarantee a roster spot.”

Cutter himself said it wasn’t “one thing,” but supposedly several things he observed with the organization after being drafted.

I don’t think his camp can articulate it because I don’t think Cutter ever wanted to play here, his hero Crosby’s most hated team.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I think you’re putting some serious words in my mouth lol.

No, the Flyers shouldn’t do any of what you said. Although, I’d argue they should fire Lappy for any number of reasons. If you have a few hours, I can run down all of them for you, or you can just search the AHL thread.

And I’d also argue that Torts should make a decided effort to come across less cruel to outsiders and stop this benching in hometowns nonsense because perceptions do matter.

But when you say you’re in a rebuild and your top prospect is excited and eager to start his career, he just wants you to guarantee him playing time with the big club, yes you should 1000% do that. Playing time for your young future stars is one of the absolute musts in a rebuild.

As I said, if after a few months it’s clear he wasn’t ready, well hey, then you reevaluate. But you cross that bridge after you’ve signed him and if you need to cross that bridge.

There’s no reason to pushback now as part of some dumb “culture” fetish.

Guaranteeing Cutter playing time is no different than when the front office demanded Morgan Frost see more of the ice last year.

Lappy gave one of his nuts to the organization after that block in the playoffs awhile back, he's not going anywhere although he deserves to be shot into the sun.

Torts has the team on a mission and clear path, he doesn't need to appease anyone as long as he continues to win games.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Lappy gave one of his nuts to the organization after that block in the playoffs awhile back, he's not going anywhere although he deserves to be shot into the sun.

Torts has the team on a mission and clear path, he doesn't need to appease anyone as long as he continues to win games.
Lappy was an awesome player. Give him the typical ex player payments to gladhand fans at games. Or give him a no-show job in the front office. Or both. There’s no reason he should be coaching our AHL team. How many prospects have shown improvement under his tutelage? How many prospects have thanked him for his role in them becoming successful nhl pros? Exactly.

I’ve never been as down on Torts as many in here were/are. I’ve been enjoying this year and I’m ready to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off. But I also understand they will likely fall off at some point this spring short of the cup. And then when you look at what this team is lacking as we try to maximize our odds at the cup in future years, you see what we need most is high end first line talent. We can’t afford to be alienating the few prospects we do have with that type of skill. That’s all I’m saying.

Early returns on the trade we made are looking promising. So maybe it’s all gonna be a wash. Or maybe for once fortune will actually favor us and Drysdale will be a stud and Cutter will be a bust. But regardless of how that plays out, we could’ve handled this situation better and not backed ourselves into a corner where we were forced to trade a top prospect because he didn’t want to play for us.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Lappy took a slapshot to the face....Thoresen took the nut shot

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The pesimism and negativity in this forum is depressing but understandable given what we witnessed the last decade.

All I want to say is ...

I won't be shocked if William C. G. decides not to sign with the ducks because of thier C depth. But the way life goes for Flyers fans he probably Ovechkins the league ...

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019
I think Cutter's attitude of "you have to give me...", would have been a determent to the entire club. We all have already seen what happens when a few inmates run the asylum and we do not need that type of "me" culture in the locker-room. Cutter's attitude and ego would have eventually overshadowed the locker-room and team if he was not able to dictate his roster status and minutes, rather than management. I prefer building a cohesive locker-room culture for players who want to be in it, rather than cater to a singular potential "star" player. Coming out of the "gate" this guy thinks he has the reputation of Bedard or Crosby...when he's probably more closer to a bust-level than either of those 2.

nah not really, if he could play his teammates and especially the organization really wouldn’t care.

i mean this coach wants california boys to fight him and spit in his coffee every morning to show how much they want it.

they fumbled gauthier, that’s not debatable, but at least the flyers pulled something else out the stable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00