Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

tinycars

Nov 23, 2023
Just to try and get this to 100, I have a question for the prospect watchers...

Everything I have read people talk about on here regarding Gauthier was that so far he plays perimeter hockey for his size, his goals come from areas he is unlikely to score in the NHL, has poor vision/IQ, is a winger not a centre and he is sub par defensively.

With all that said why the disappointment in getting a defenseman who could project to be a first 1-2 in the NHL, with incredible skating ability and the hockey IQ and vision to run a power play?

I personally would rather have a player that is known to be pretty good over a prospect that just has the potential to be elite, but I realize the majority of people do not agree with that sentiment at all.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
We've made it to the mountaintop!

e55ace1f-0942-441e-a642-01f5602c67d3_text.gif

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Everything I have read people talk about on here regarding Gauthier was that so far he plays perimeter hockey for his size, his goals come from areas he is unlikely to score in the NHL, has poor vision/IQ, is a winger not a centre and he is sub par defensively.

With all that said why the disappointment in getting a defenseman who could project to be a first 1-2 in the NHL, with incredible skating ability and the hockey IQ and vision to run a power play?

In this case, it’s not his play or stature as a prospect. Many on this forum found him somewhat underwhelming. It was the way he forced himself out that sorta unified people, and the people here will generally deem it an organizational failure regardless.

Browse around - there’s already a few posts about when Michkov will eventually bail because of how crappy the Flyers are.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
In this case, it’s not his play or stature as a prospect. Many on this forum found him somewhat underwhelming. It was the way he forced himself out that sorta unified people, and the people here will generally deem it an organizational failure regardless.

Browse around - there’s already a few posts about when Michkov will eventually bail because of how crappy the Flyers are.
So the complaint isn't so much the return we got, or even anything about Drysdale, more specifically that a top NHL prospect totally ghosted our organization, which is telling as to the state of our Org. So regardless of how underwhelming people felt about Cutter, they feel it's a barometer for how our organization and leadership is viewed around the NHL... That I understand. My response to that though, is isn't using a sample size of 1 to gauge your view of an organize bad process just like watching only 1 game of a prospect and coming to a conclusion is bad process?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Because the people that still think Drysdale realistically has a shot to be a 1D are the same people that thought Cutter had a real shot at being a 1C.

Drysdale likely ends up being a 2nd pairing guy that is real good on the PP struggles at times defensively and 5v5 and gets run out of town at 26 like Ghost.

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Because the people that still think Drysdale realistically has a shot to be a 1D are the same people that thought Cutter had a real shot at being a 1C.

Drysdale likely ends up being a 2nd pairing guy that is real good on the PP struggles at times defensively and 5v5 and gets run out of town at 26 like Ghost.

These criticisms are the same of any prospect though, and that’s where all of these experts fall apart.

No prospect is “likely” to be a 1C or 1D. There are many ultra talented players who become nothing, and many unexpected to become stars.

Anybody drafted in the top 10 has potential to be that. Saying somebody is likely to be a second pairing or middle 6 player is rather meaningless when talking about top 10 draft picks.

If the potential is there, that’s all you can hope for, and it can’t be evaluated at 20 years old. It’s not some sort of reach to think that CG can be a 1C or Drysdale can be a 1D. That’s why they were drafted where they were, but no prospect has a defined path to elite.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
These criticisms are the same of any prospect though, and that’s where all of these experts fall apart.

No prospect is “likely” to be a 1C or 1D. There are many ultra talented players who become nothing, and many unexpected to become stars.

Anybody drafted in the top 10 has potential to be that. Saying somebody is likely to be a second pairing or middle 6 player is rather meaningless when talking about top 10 draft picks.

If the potential is there, that’s all you can hope for, and it can’t be evaluated at 20 years old. It’s not some sort of reach to think that CG can be a 1C or Drysdale can be a 1D. That’s why they were drafted where they were, but no prospect has a defined path to elite.
Almost like saying "realistic path" doesn't mean the same thing as "likely" and there is a reason I worded it that way.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Teams aren’t going to just trade prospects or young players they are high on. There either needs to be injury concerns, a logjam, or they don’t view the player as as good as Gauthier. A team will never make a trade just to swap prospects or young players unless there is a reason. I don’t know what type of return some people were expecting

I would've considered Cutter + Frost for Cooley +

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I don't see this as an apples to apples comparison. Drysdale is an NHL D right now and a very good one. Gauthier is trying to be a C in college.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Cam and Strick podcast mentioned that the college coach had asked Hayes to take him golfing and Quitter showed up late and left after 9 holes.
cant believe he would big time a guy as respected in cambridge as kevin hayes is

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Cutter has always struck me as a dick. Extremely talented athlete, even more extremely full of himself.

I’d have traded the 5th pick at that draft for Drysdale & a 2nd, & I think this will be a win for the Flyers as long as Drysdale doesn’t turn into Ryan Ellis injury-wise.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Cutter has always struck me as a dick. Extremely talented athlete, even more extremely full of himself.

I’d have traded the 5th pick at that draft for Drysdale & a 2nd, & I think this will be a win for the Flyers as long as Drysdale doesn’t turn into Ryan Ellis injury-wise.
So was Lindros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad