Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

sonofshemp

Jan 17, 2024
If both were available in the same draft and the Flyers pick was 5th overall, who would you pick, Gauthier or Drysdale? Wait...if you pick Drysdale, the NHL will throw in a future 2nd rounder. Now who would you pick?

Reactions: Jettany

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
If he ever gets to be as good overall as Konecny I’ll be surprised. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, “I’ve seen centers and, Quitter, you’re no NHL center.”
If that happens the Flyers actually have a shot of “winning “ a trade when their backs were somewhat to the wall.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If both were available in the same draft and the Flyers pick was 5th overall, who would you pick, Gauthier or Drysdale? Wait...if you pick Drysdale, the NHL will throw in a future 2nd rounder. Now who would you pick?
Weird hypothetical as this is Drysdale’s D+4 and we have more information than we did when he was drafted at 18.

The Flyers don’t even entertain this trade if Gauthier is willing to sign.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Weird hypothetical as this is Drysdale’s D+4 and we have more information than we did when he was drafted at 18.

I bet in this weird alternate universe where ages arent real and we just mix up draft classes, the 2014 Islanders trade their Michael Dal Colle pick for two years priors #6 in Hampus Lindholm, too. Weird how this works.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The Flyers would want a bigger sweetener than a 2nd rd pick, but they also probably had discounted Gauthier to some extent as it became clear that he wasn't going to be a 1C, and Farabee has proven himself to be a 23 year old 1LW. So Drysdale fit a bigger need, although Gauthier is a better prospect (or at least has more upside for now).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
they also probably had discounted Gauthier to some extent as it became clear that he wasn't going to be a 1C

You made this part up.

Forget the ocean of quotes I could pull up hyping him as a center post-draft. This is Briere this past summer:

“We hope he’s (Gauthier is) going to be a centerman for us, but we know he can also play left wing. [...] The one thing I can tell you is I don’t want to have Cutter Gauthier in a fourth-line role playing for weeks at a time here with the Flyers. To me, it’s really important that he keeps developing, (that) he keeps playing 22-25 minutes a night, that he gets to play center as much as possible."

But I'm sure, mere months later, leading the WJC in points -- while playing center -- was the death knell for their evaluation and precipitated the trade.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I made it through all 2,506 posts. That was a hell of a journey.

At the end of it all... it's asset management. Take it from a guy that follows the Flames as well as the Flyers, this is solid asset management. It's not about whether Drysdale is better than Gauthier or even comparable, it's about the Flyers understanding that Gauthier wasn't in their future plans and maximizing the return for the asset.

Most teams and most fans overvalue their prospects and undervalue those outside their system. Most teams and most fans overvalue draft picks (if you asked a GM to trade pick #5 in the 2024 draft for any #5 picks from the past 3 drafts, they'll say no) because of "potential".

I don't think it matters why Gauthier informed the team he wouldn't play for them. Maybe Tortorella was an ass to him, maybe Gritty smells gross, maybe the team is an internal tire fire, maybe he got bad intel, maybe he's just a dumbass. It doesn't matter. Once that became clear, management did the best they could getting return on the player that would only decrease in value.

Look at what happened to the Flames with Gaudreau. Signs were there that he wasn't going to sign for years. We all knew, but the team ran the clock out and the player walked for nothing. Sam Bennett was similar. The player didn't have a role in the organization and they let his value tank and got a poor return. Juuso Valimaki was supposed to be a future #1 but they mismanaged him until it was clear he wasn't and then lost him on waivers for nothing.

Pulling off this deal early maximized the return for the Flyers. It doesn't matter what Gauthier does for the Ducks (or whomever he plays for if/when he makes the NHL), he wasn't going to do that for the Flyers. So they turned a zero asset into an NHL defenceman and a pick. That's solid asset management.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Not worth nothing to note that the Flyers always were the second round pick no matter what. That was baseline requisite as they receive that as compensation had they simply let Gauthier’s right expire.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

sonofshemp

Jan 17, 2024

Just my way of justifying the trade. I’m a Drysdale fan and believe he’s the real deal. Jury’s out on Gauthier until he turns pro but it was a way to save face and fill a weak spot on defense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You made this part up.

Forget the ocean of quotes I could pull up hyping him as a center post-draft. This is Briere this past summer:

But I'm sure, mere months later, leading the WJC in points -- while playing center -- was the death knell for their evaluation and precipitated the trade.
"We hope he'll be a centerman for us but we know he can play LW" is a pretty lukewarm endorsement.

Now if Briere had said, "we don't care what the so-called experts say, we know he's going to be a top level center for us down the road . . ." then you'd have an argument.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Pronman released his top NHL players and prospects under 23 list yesterday…

Quitter was ranked 46th.
Drysdale was ranked 48th.

They were technically on different “tiers”, CG on tier 6 “top of the lineup player” and Drysdale on tier 7 “bubble top and middle of the lineup player”, but pretty close.

It’s obviously just one guy’s opinion, but I thought it was interesting since it’s the first such list in recent years that compares the two talents.

Also, rather humorous, he had the guy everyone wanted with our 2nd FRP, Perreault 45th, Quitter 46th, the guy we allegedly tried to trade Quitter for at the draft (Reinbacher) 47th and the guy we actually traded him for (Drysdale) 48th.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Imagine being dumb enough to threaten unsigned Cutter Gauthier with AHL time at the end of last season when the bottom feeder Flyers were playing forwards like Bellows, Deslauriers, Allison, Laczynski, Lemieux and the soon to be traded with $10.7m worth of retention Kevin Hayes.

That's 5 AHL-level forwards, and another guy the team already knew would not be back under any circumstances.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Imagine being dumb enough to threaten unsigned Cutter Gauthier with AHL time at the end of last season when the bottom feeder Flyers were playing forwards like Bellows, Deslauriers, Allison, Laczynski, Lemieux and the soon to be traded with $10.7m worth of retention Kevin Hayes.

That's 5 AHL-level forwards, and another guy the team already knew would not be back under any circumstances.

I think Cutter's attitude of "you have to give me...", would have been a determent to the entire club. We all have already seen what happens when a few inmates run the asylum and we do not need that type of "me" culture in the locker-room. Cutter's attitude and ego would have eventually overshadowed the locker-room and team if he was not able to dictate his roster status and minutes, rather than management. I prefer building a cohesive locker-room culture for players who want to be in it, rather than cater to a singular potential "star" player. Coming out of the "gate" this guy thinks he has the reputation of Bedard or Crosby...when he's probably more closer to a bust-level than either of those 2.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I think Cutter's attitude of "you have to give me...", would have been a determent to the entire club. We all have already seen what happens when a few inmates run the asylum and we do not need that type of "me" culture in the locker-room. Cutter's attitude and ego would have eventually overshadowed the locker-room and team if he was not able to dictate his roster status and minutes, rather than management. I prefer building a cohesive locker-room culture for players who want to be in it, rather than cater to a singular potential "star" player. Coming out of the "gate" this guy thinks he has the reputation of Bedard or Crosby...when he's probably more closer to a bust-level than either of those 2.
I wouldn’t argue with any of that. I think this is a case of immovable object, meets, irresistible force, the entitlement version.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Pronman released his top NHL players and prospects under 23 list yesterday…

Quitter was ranked 46th.
Drysdale was ranked 48th.

They were technically on different “tiers”, CG on tier 6 “top of the lineup player” and Drysdale on tier 7 “bubble top and middle of the lineup player”, but pretty close.

It’s obviously just one guy’s opinion, but I thought it was interesting since it’s the first such list in recent years that compares the two talents.

Also, rather humorous, he had the guy everyone wanted with our 2nd FRP, Perreault 45th, Quitter 46th, the guy we allegedly tried to trade Quitter for at the draft (Reinbacher) 47th and the guy we actually traded him for (Drysdale) 48th.
If this is in the ballpark the Flyers made out real well considering the circumstances.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Wait did I skim over something? Did they do this?

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Wait did I skim over something? Did they do this?
Not directly, but Hartnell (a paid employee) suggested it.

Whole situation is odd. I find it really odd that cutter and his agent are just sitting here and taking this defamation of his character if the flyers are really to blame.

I also find the way the Flyers have responded to be textbook “what I would do if I’m guilty” behavior. The media blitz, the ridiculous “he ghosted us and didn’t tell us why” story. Then using the mouthpieces to throw shit against the wall and see what sticks “he disrespected legends of the game!”, “Kevin Hayes’s fingerprints are all over this!” and now “He wanted ice time handed to him. He didn’t want to earn it.”

Reactions: BernieParent

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
If this was a pattern then yes, perhaps you’d be correct. But is it?

Haven’t heard a single negative word from any current or ex coaches/teammates. And that stuff usually gets out. Heck, we heard whispers about Michkov being a bad teammate… Ithink those were BS, but still the point is not even a salacious rumor about cutter has made its way into the public eye.

All I see here is a guy who believes in himself, wants to get his career started and get closer to earning big $. He was going to be playing for a team that’s in a self proclaimed rebuild, lappy’s “development” of players in the AHL has been less than thrilling (to put it mildly) and Torts had shown a tendency to yo-yo prospects between the NHL and AHL, which can be horrendous for development.

I don’t see the big deal with giving your top prospect (at the time) a guaranteed opportunity to start the year.

If he isn’t ready and he’s embarrassing himself come December, you cross that bridge when you get to it. No different than the decision the organization is weighing right now with Brink’s terrible play of late.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The whole messaging on this still remains very one sided. All from the Flyers to try to paint themselves in a certain light, and don’t be fooled that the meat they threw to the fanbase wasn’t prepared exactly how they wanted it.

For all we know Cutter saw a decade long dysfunctional franchise that has painted Tortorella as some sort of god. Saw that, and bailed.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
The whole messaging on this still remains very one sided. All from the Flyers to try to paint themselves in a certain light, and don’t be fooled that the meat they threw to the fanbase wasn’t prepared exactly how they wanted it.

For all we know Cutter saw a decade long dysfunctional franchise that has painted Tortorella as some sort of god. Saw that, and bailed.
Definitely a pot and kettle dynamic in this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00