Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
To your first point - I have no idea but they're still employees of the team and their job is to work with the guys we drafted.

Maybe I'm different from Cutter in that I was really interested in hockey history and past players and just learned about them by stories from my parents, NHL broadcasts, books, and playing the video games.

I'm just saying that LeClair is one of the best American goal scorers of all time and even though Cutter didn't see him play he should still be familiar with the name.

We can speculate all day about what happened but my point was that the Flyers sending out LeClair and Sharp wasn't them parading around former NHLers just because they were good when they played. They were doing their job.
It doesn't matter how great Leclair was as a player. If Gauthier met with him, Leclair's only purpose would be to cajole/browbeat/encourage/sweet talk Gauthier to play for the Flyers. And Gauthier had known for a half a year that he didn't want to do that.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I can’t believe we’re having a debate on if Sharp and/or LeClair are “legends”:damnpc:

I don’t care if it was Wayne Gretzky, the important thing is that they were PAID REPRESENTATIVES OF THE FLYERS. They were sent there by Flyers management, likely with a script or list of talking points provided by management, on a plane ticket paid for by flyers management to try and sell Cutter on coming back to the Flyers. They weren’t “legends of the game” at that point (if they ever were), they were door to door bible salesmen.

Sharp: “Excuse me sir, have you heard the good word of the flyers culture?”

LeClair: “Have you accepted John “Jesus” Tortorella as your lord and savior?”

• Haha
Reactions: Larry44

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I can’t believe we’re having a debate on if Sharp and/or LeClair are “legends”:damnpc:

I don’t care if it was Wayne Gretzky, the important thing is that they were PAID REPRESENTATIVES OF THE FLYERS. They were sent there by Flyers management, likely with a script or list of talking points provided by management, on a plane ticket paid for by flyers management to try and sell Cutter on coming back to the Flyers. They weren’t “legends of the game” at that point (if they ever were), they were door to door bible salesmen.

Sharp: “Excuse me sir, have you heard the good word of the flyers culture?”

LeClair: “Have you accepted John “Jesus” Tortorella as your lord and savior?”
Hold on, was anyone expecting the Flyers not to try and sign it's second most important prospect by any means necessary?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That's fair.

New lore (or slander) just dropped.

Ironic about this if true...I do believe that if Clarke was GM he would have balked in similar fashion when Lindros justifiably told Aubut and the Nordiques to pound sand. He is all about that honor code and not having players run the show. We saw it with McCrimmon and ultimately when he and Lindros had their public spat. Clarke as I have mentioned previously said that Roy was washed up when he was available after going off on Montreal. It's always a double edged sword when teams blackball a player due to their conduct with another org. Guess we'll see whether the character judgment is merited and on point.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
From Hartnell's interview on Chiclets it sounds like the plan was to sign him for this season but he wasn't going to be given a spot and that he had to "earn it" and possibly play in the AHL. I'm guessing that is the part that didn't go over well.
This was the exact conclusion I came to, and it seems to make the most sense.

Flyers didn't burn a year early (ok whatevs). But then they didn't also guarantee him an NHL roster spot (which I also get.) Why would an NHL team guarantee one? It's a business, not a youth league. It is an entitlement to expect you'll be given a spot. My view of, from his side, could also be, right or wrong: Flyers are outperforming their expectations this year, and while Torts in terms of coaching may not be the reason CG didn't come here, but he's also not the most deft at handling youth and that's certainly a far from a guarantee of handing CG a spot (for which Torts would listen to nobody on putting him in the lineup). Anaheim plays youth because have nowhere to go (problem is in orgs like that you also don't learn other aspects of growth) so Anaheim may not be a better place to go.

If those were the reasons, then good riddance, IMO. There's probably more but based on this it seems to align. It also resonates from his persona and his peer interviews (listen to Rutger's interview in the WJC after one of the games, where he calls CG basically "over-confident.") We can infer that he does feel entitlement as well, in some fashion.

As a 5th overall, heavily hyped "all tools" prospect, he's now 3rd on his own team in scoring to two 1st years. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but he should probably be dominating in his own league before expecting guarantees for the best league in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ugiswrong

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This was the exact conclusion I came to, and it seems to make the most sense.

Flyers didn't burn a year early (ok whatevs). But then they didn't also guarantee him an NHL roster spot (which I also get.) Why would an NHL team guarantee one? It's a business, not a youth league. It is an entitlement to expect you'll be given a spot. My view of, from his side, could also be, right or wrong: Flyers are outperforming their expectations this year, and while Torts in terms of coaching may not be the reason CG didn't come here, but he's also not the most deft at handling youth and that's certainly a far from a guarantee of handing CG a spot (for which Torts would listen to nobody on putting him in the lineup). Anaheim plays youth because have nowhere to go (problem is in orgs like that you also don't learn other aspects of growth on loser organizations) so Anaheim may not be a better place to go.

If those were the reasons, then good riddance, IMO. There's probably more but based on this it seems to align.

Makes sense.

It’s still just one side though, and don’t kid yourself that the Flyers aren’t trying to protect their image of being competent.

Comcast has shown a strong ability to control the narrative when possible.

Its also likely that Cutter wasn’t impressed with the overall direction of the Flyers, handling of their youth, the games Torts plays, and a mix of what Hayes said.

I respect the kid for not trashing the organization. The Flyers have been very willing to smear the kid, and I’m not sure that helps them when Jones so proudly proclaims how he wants to return them to being a premier destination.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Makes sense.

It’s still just one side though, and don’t kid yourself that the Flyers aren’t trying to protect their image of being competent.

Comcast has shown a strong ability to control the narrative when possible.

Its also likely that Cutter wasn’t impressed with the overall direction of the Flyers, handling of their youth, the games Torts plays, and a mix of what Hayes said.

I respect the kid for not trashing the organization. The Flyers have been very willing to smear the kid, and I’m not sure that helps them when Jones so proudly proclaims how he wants to return them to being a premier destination.
For sure, I don't think the organization is innocent here. Not knowing repercussions of these negotiations is I think a future lesson learned for Danny - maybe some of the finer details that only experience brings, when we question GMs as to why they sign players early, etc.

However (and I edited my post above to add more color), CG's attitude does ring a bit of a narcissist, with statements he himself made about "clutch gene" (to which he had 0 points in the WJC final), had a strangle hold on WJC leadership in points and came up with nothing to end up being tournament lead tied.

He also seems to be buying his own hype train.

As an aside, you cannot fault the Flyers braintrust on the masterclass post-hype media storm that they absolutely funneled their message in unison - I can only imagine how Fletcher would have managed that. The return, was also excellent, and we may end up winning this deal, so from those positions, I think we're much better off.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
For sure, I don't think the organization is innocent here. Not knowing repercussions of these negotiations is I think a future lesson learned for Danny - maybe some of the finer details that only experience brings, when we question GMs as to why they sign players early, etc.

However (and I edited my post above to add more color), CG's attitude does ring a bit of a narcissist, with statements he himself made about "clutch gene" (to which he had 0 points in the WJC final), had a strangle hold on WJC leadership in points and came up with nothing to end up being tournament lead tied.

He also seems to be buying his own hype train.

As an aside, you cannot fault the Flyers braintrust on the masterclass post-hype media storm that they absolutely funneled their message in unison - I can only imagine how Fletcher would have managed that. The return, was also excellent, and we may end up winning this deal, so from those positions, I think we're much better off.

The move itself is what it is right?

Can’t force a Dubois kind of player to play for you if he says no.

I’m just disappointed in it being Drysdale. The health should have ruled him out as a target, in my eyes anyway.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
The move itself is what it is right?

Can’t force a Dubois kind of player to play for you if he says no.

I’m just disappointed in it being Drysdale. The health should have ruled him out as a target, in my eyes anyway.
I suppose, but you're not getting an equivalent player of "Gauthier + 3 years" NHL equivalent because that player would be more valuable than CG. I would have called Arizona and asked for Cooley and offered them a bit more to nab him - but I don't know if 1) CG would sign with them all the same and 2) Arizona would do that, and that's what we deal with as fans. But also why these trades are rare - most teams would just trust their own guy who has been in their own sphere of influence through the post draft years.

So, here, you get an equivalent in terms of talent, but with different types of risk - injury, vs unproven.

The second is probably because CG's package is a bit more appealing due to his physical stature, but we've learned all too well, size is not indicative of success or health in the NHL.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I suppose, but you're not getting an equivalent player of "Gauthier + 3 years" NHL equivalent because that player would be more valuable than CG. I would have called Arizona and asked for Cooley and offered them a bit more to nab him - but I don't know if 1) CG would sign with them all the same and 2) Arizona would do that, and that's what we deal with as fans. But also why these trades are rare - most teams would just trust their own guy who has been in their own sphere of influence through the post draft years.

So, here, you get an equivalent in terms of talent, but with different types of risk - injury, vs unproven.

The second is probably because CG's package is a bit more appealing due to his physical stature, but we've learned all too well, size is not indicative of success or health in the NHL.
Teams aren’t going to just trade prospects or young players they are high on. There either needs to be injury concerns, a logjam, or they don’t view the player as as good as Gauthier. A team will never make a trade just to swap prospects or young players unless there is a reason. I don’t know what type of return some people were expecting

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Just to try and get this to 100, I have a question for the prospect watchers...

Everything I have read people talk about on here regarding Gauthier was that so far he plays perimeter hockey for his size, his goals come from areas he is unlikely to score in the NHL, has poor vision/IQ, is a winger not a centre and he is sub par defensively.

With all that said why the disappointment in getting a defenseman who could project to be a first 1-2 in the NHL, with incredible skating ability and the hockey IQ and vision to run a power play?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad