Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Every bet Chiarelli made this summer he's lost. LB as backup; Caggiula/Slepyshev/JP being regular, contributing members of the top 6/9; and Benning as a top four defenseman. It's hard to understand how a GM with over ten years experience thought this was a good idea.

That's sadly true. His ability to assess talent deserves to now deserves to be under very close scrutiny. He completely struck out this summer. The only good thing he did was the McDavid contract, but that should be considered a 'gimme' anyway, as any GM with McDavid would've done what it took to sign him for 8 years. But the Drai contract...unless he was under pressure from offer sheets coming in, it really should've been a bridge deal. And everything else you mentioned. Including bringing Gryba back as a #6, and even worse, Auvitu as our #7 Dman (seriously, Chia??). Just no real talent depth on D -- full well knowing that Sekera would be out for a long time, and even when he's back probably wouldn't be near where he was at last season. Just terrible GMing. There's no dressing it up to look better, either. It was just a horrible summer for Chia, and into the season. The coaching is also pathetic. They probably don't have all the tools they wish, but the PP should still be scoring more than it has with McDavid, Drai, Klefbom, etc. on the first unit. They got it done last year, and now just nothing. Teams seem to have our PP figured out, which tells me the coaching can not adapt very well or change tactics nearly well enough to compete with the true players this season (and probably looking past this season, too). They better be gone after this season is over at the latest. Chia can go, too. I think MacT would even be an upgrade, which is a scary thought.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Had a .906 sv% and one goal was on a breakaway and the other while on the worst penalty kill in basically history.
Making it seem like he had a .750 sv% and let in 10 goals.
He made about as many "hard" saves in the first 2 periods as Elliot did. That 2nd goal completely deflated a team that was already having a hard time going. Brossoit wasn't facing an onslaught from Philly basically everything other than the 1st goal was not a hard save. If the roles were reversed and the Oilers scored that 2nd goal like that you could probably go into the Flyers forum and they'd be saying the same shit about their effort. Its perspective neither team played good in the first 2 periods. Half of Phillys shots through the fist 2 were pp shots.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I would really like to see Davidson, Walker, and Ellis next game.

Truth be told, that game was painful to watch.

I really have no words.

I feel like a bunch of players are playing way over their heads and they just need to simplify their games.

Ex. Russell has been too noticeable in games lately...and it's not good. The high risk cross seam pass that led to the breakaway. Just...why?

Brossoit...just a rough situation all around. I don't think the whole team has full confidence in him atm, it just felt weird.

Woodcroft/Powerplay...Seriously...if its not working...trying something different. What is this guy thinking?

Tmac - I really feel he is on the hot seat now.

Chiarelli - I agree with everyone...he should of gotten a proper NHL Goalie...yesterday.

It will be a great day once we have Talbot, Sekera and Larsson all healthy at the same time.

This team needs some type of divine intervention because they need it. Desperately.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting POV... care to elaborate?

Chia has defended the "critical mass" of this roster a few times already this year. TM? Not once.

TM doesn't even bother giving Chia's waiver pickups a chance to play.

He's basically saying "give me something better."

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Every bet Chiarelli made this summer he's lost. LB as backup; Caggiula/Slepyshev/JP being regular, contributing members of the top 6/9; and Benning as a top four defenseman. It's hard to understand how a GM with over ten years experience thought this was a good idea.

I wonder how much of that is coaching though too.

Those young guys look like they have no idea what role they're supposed to play.

Reactions: Del Preston

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They just don’t have enough offensive talent. That first PP would be turnover city and a good SH chance against every time.

I chose those groups because they are the best the Oilers have at evens in terms of GF/GA so they should be the best at trying to put the puck in the net and be responsible defensively as well.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Things I noticed:

Our first line couldn't keep the puck in the O zone for shit. Most of our lines had trouble with it tonight - Philly executed their defensive game plan very well - high pressure neutral zone 5v5 and collapsing box against our cycle/pk. (oh look coaching)

Nurse was excellent tonight, again.

Benning has an awful time in tight, he often loses the puck and it comes back our way. Other than that he was trying pretty hard to lay the body, I don't think he's too far out of place but could probably be bumped down a spot or two.

I'm not sure Gryba should be on the ice at all, he was on the ice too many times with McDavid tonight. Dude can't make a pass at speed to save his life.

Faceoffs and hits were good tonight.

What the hell was going on with our penalites? Those were some soft AF calls.

Not even sure what to think of LB at this point - our D is so bad and LB doesn't look good either. :help:

Frustrating loss.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Yea that was a BLATANT cross checking penatly right in front of the ref. How that wasn't called is absolutely mindboggling. Honestly if that was ANY defenseman on the Oilers doing that it's called but since it's the Oilers it's an obvious no call...

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree that the waiver wire pickups are not enough to improve the team in any meaningful way. If there is a serious disconnect between the GM and the coach, the GM should go first, as he's done NOTHING of any substance to improve this team since last season ended. Just sat on his hands, or made trades for downgrades. Well at least we have cap space which now looks to be completely useless this season, as we wont need a pickup come TDL time. Hard to have faith in coaching and especially Chia right now. This team is garbage, just like it was for 10 seasons before last.

'Meet the new boss, same as the old boss' I guess.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I see. I think you might be right.

TM doesn't even look angry or mad after losses anymore. All he does is give off this look of "see, I told you this roster sucks."

I think what's happened is that TM sees the lack of talent at practice everyday. He's probably spoken to Chia about it at least once this season, and Chia probably disagreed with him. So TM implemented this boring, volume shooting system - which also hasn't worked.

And now it's come down to a war of attrition to see which side caves first.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Seems we never really have any game plan. We mostly just react to the other team, and try to match what they're doing, and let them dictate the tempo and the way the game will be played. If that's not on coaching, I'm not sure what is.

This is going to be a long, shitty season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
TM doesn't even look angry or mad after losses anymore. All he does is give off this look of "see, I told you this roster sucks."

I think what's happened is that TM sees the lack of talent at practice everyday. He's probably spoken to Chia about it at least once this season, and Chia probably disagreed with him. And now it's come down to a war of attrition to see which side caves first.

"Don't worry, Todd. They're just playing slower. They'll start playing faster soon!"

1st PP unit:
Letestu-Letestu-Letestu
Letestu-Letestu

2nd PP unit:
Letestu-Letestu-Letestu
Letestu-Letestu

Only in Woodcrofts wet dreams. Very, very wet.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Wasnt saying LB was great, he was below average for sure.. But he definitely isnt the reason we lost.

Our 8.5 million dollar player hasnt been on his game all season and hes being overlooked, tap ins from McDavid are nothing to write home about. I blame him for not creating more offensively than an AHL goaltender in LB for letting in a weak goal or two. Personally.
Its not like LB is an NHL starter who should be held accountable to an NHL starter level, hes playing way over his head sure its frustrating but to pick on him and blame him soley is just wrong.

Fact is that our team didnt show up tonight. Plain and simple. Had they shown up we wouldve won. The Flyers are a bad team.
LB gave up 2 goals on 30 shots for a .933 against Buffalo and lo and behold we lost 3-1.

The issue is much larger than the goalie.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Seems we never really have any game plan. We mostly just react to the other team, and try to match what they're doing, and let them dictate the tempo and the way the game will be played. If that's not on coaching, I'm not sure what is.

This is going to be a long, ****ty season.

That's my feeling too.

When you have a team with seemingly no identity and a bunch of players with seemingly unknown roles, I question the coaching.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2