Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Quickly coming up on the half way part of the season, and since day 1 nothing of significance has changed about the PP or PK.

The same players, the same tactics, all leading to the same results...

We're far past waiting for a sleeping bear to wake up, they're now to the point of beating a dead (and decomposing) horse.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Quickly coming up on the half way part of the season, and since day 1 nothing of significance has changed about the PP or PK.

We're far past waiting for a sleeping bear to wake up, we're now onto the point of beating a dead (and decomposing) horse.

Just need more Lucic and Letestu handling the puck. That seems to be the goal of the PP now, to get the puck in the hands of those guys as much as possible, ideally along the half wall so they can be the primary playmakers. Coaches and players know what they're doing! I believe!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

We're far past waiting for a sleeping bear to wake up, they're now to the point of beating a dead (and decomposing) horse.
It took the coaching staff 24 games to have 97, 29, and 93 centring their own lines. You're gonna have to wait another 15-20 for any fixes to the PP and PK.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Just need more Lucic and Letestu handling the puck. That seems to be the goal of the PP now, to get the puck in the hands of those guys as much as possible, ideally along the half wall so they can be the primary playmakers. Coaches and players know what they're doing! I believe!

Don't worry. I've heard through the grapevine that our cloning of Letestu is on track and reinforcements are on the way!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I just don't know how a team can consistently come out so flat.

It's like they're hitting the Ranch before games instead of after now.

Reactions: dustrock

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

That's one thing I really don't understand. I don't care if you've got 2 of the best puck carriers on one unit with McDavid and Drai, it's all useless when the other 3 can't be trusted.

Get Pulju, Nuge, Cammy, or even Kassian, Selpyshev, or Caggiula onto the PP.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
LB wasn't great but we still need to score more than 2 goals to expect to win many. Philly out played us. We can't score and we can't keep the puck out of our net. And our power play is so bad it's almost comical. Puck you Woodcroft.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As much as there are the rumours of a rift in the locker room, I think the bigger issue is there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the HC and the GM.
Yeah, I don’t think there’s any question about this anymore. Coach refuses to play LB until he doesn’t have a choice. Coach waits through 20+ unsuccessful games at the start of the year before he splits up McDavid and Draisatl when the team is constructed to be center heavy. Latest example is not dressing the waiver wire pickups. Seems unusual.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
LB wasn't great but we still need to score more than 2 goals to expect to win many. Philly out played us. We can't score and we can't keep the puck out of our net. And our power play is so bad it's almost comical. Puck you Woodcroft.

Question is can the play desperation hockey at this point and take a chance with Brossoit in net? A lack of confidence in your goaltending has a negative effect all over the ice.

I’m not trying to hang this on Brossoit, more so Chiarelli inept ability to recognize the need to a ready NHL backup prior to Talbot going down and than going the public call out route and still failing to acquire such an affordable piece as a backup

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Wiese goal was a bad one but make no mistake about it, our PP cost us this game. The first PP was garbage and the last PP wasn't much better. I'd also love to know how that crosscheck on Letestu wasn't called when the ref was looking right at it. Dropping Jesse to the 3rd line again was yet another garbage coaching decision.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yea that was a BLATANT cross checking penatly right in front of the ref. How that wasn't called is absolutely mindboggling. Honestly if that was ANY defenseman on the Oilers doing that it's called but since it's the Oilers it's an obvious no call...

Even if the ref doesn't think it's enough to be a cross check how the f*** isn't it interference?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
We are so cautious, so non-aggressive, so PASSIVE on our PK. Drives me insane. We do that t-form setup and just let them sling passes back and forth between our two stacked forwards.

Can we try something else for the love of god. Mind boggling.

I can understand criticizing Chia and putting some of the blame on him for not bringing in the right players, but I think we have more than enough skill, especially on the PP, to be effective.

It's one thing to lack depth or skill, but its a completely different thing to try the same old failed routines over and over and OVER again and see the same result. The definition of insanity, and something that is definitely driving me insane with this team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Lots of folks piling on Gryba as usual. Kind of deserved I suppose.
But Matt Benning can gtfo this team too. Just an awful defenseman.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nuge now with 3 goals in his last 4 games. At least that's one positive. Top line needs to be more consistent though, and our PP actually has to score once and a while, which I know isn't a secret to anyone. We can probably expect LB to let in about 3 goals a game, so we need to be scoring 4 or so. Nuge's line is good for about a goal a game lately, so need the top line to do at least the same and get one goal, which they kind of did tonight but was on the PK, not 5-on-5. Realistically, we need our top line to score 1 to 2 goals a game 5-on-5, a goal from either Nuge's line or Drai's line 5-on-5 and a PP goal per game. That gets us 4. But these guys just don't look like they want it, or the flu going through the room is more serious than we thought. Kind of hope it's the flu, and after that's done these guys get on a roll with Talbot and Sekera, but it's very likely wishful thinking to get back into the playoff picture. Sucks.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This is the one that broke me..

We suck and we aren’t making the playoffs

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I went to bed after Philly's 3rd goal, surprised they scored a second goal. Taking stupid & lazy penalties with abysmal special teams is a safe way to be bottom dwellers in the league.
Early december and the season is already over, I'd call it "the Oilers way", I will care again when this coaching staff is gone and the draft is on.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
This is the one that broke me..

We suck and we aren’t making the playoffs

Pretty much yeah. Especially with Calgary and Anaheim both picking up points. Oilers definitely love 4 games under .500. I am guessing they stick around that point all year.

I cannot believe we are a third into the season and this team hasn't even won 3 games in a row. Absolute f***ing joke.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It seems like criticism here always seems to shift to the coaching but its obvious that this Chia lineup won't hunt and the players aren't knocking themselves out another season trying to cover for obvious flaws in the lineup.

There is no coaching stratagem, none, to counter a lineup that gives up in games. This twisted facet of Oilers play this season is staring us in the face every game. We see it, we see hopeless players have key roles on the team. We watch that game in and game out noting the pustules in this lineup. Then you come here for another round of coach blaming. Its uncanny.

Heres a fun game. Outside of maybe one play note what the following fill players did last night to earn a paycheck;

Letestu, Khaira, Cagg, Strome, Benning, Gryba, Camm, Auvitu, Brossoit.

That's 9 players not playing well enough to even be in the league.
ftr that's 9/19 players dressed last night.

What coaching alters the result of having that many pathetic players in the lineup?

What reasonably intelligent player doesn't realize that a team with 9-10 duds in the lineup is just a bad team that isn't going anywhere.

The players have given up on what this lineup is. Nothing could be more obvious.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It seems Khaira and Kassian have some chemistry, both have been playing ok. Why in the world would McLellan not play Draisaitl in the middle of those two counting down the last five minutes. This unhealthy obsession with Letestu is getting weird, I think they need to investigate to see if Woodcroft is cashing some Letestu checks. I see McLellan as a coach that is not good at building confidence in a team or players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad