Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree....isn't it GMing 101 to have 3 NHL goalies? Your starter, if you want to have you next big thing who is almost ready, be your backup so be it, but you need the Richard Bachman down in the AHL to mentor your prospect and be the callup if the #1 goes down.

Yep, for any real GM who intends to contend you make sure you have two goalies with at least decent NHL experience with good performance, and maybe a 3rd guy like LB who has some/little NHL experience but has done reasonably well in his small sample size last year. But to completely bank on that small sample size and his lack of experience in general is beyond idiotic. LB is a completely unproven NHL goalie, and to have him as your #2 is just an egregious error of judgement on Chia's part.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Why is anyone blaming this on Brossoit? The first and third goals were legit, one was tic tac toe and the other a snipe on a breakaway. The 2nd goal was from the slot and certainly wasn't great but if guys shoot from there they'll score on occasion, so it wasn't terrible. The Oilers were badly outplayed and Brossoit made some really good saves to give them a chance. If the PP can't ever score and the PK gives up 1 or more easy goal a game then it really doesn't matter who's in net tbh. Brossoit wasn't the problem tonight.

Reactions: oljimmy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why is anyone blaming this on Brossoit? The first and third goals were legit, one was tic tac toe and the other a snipe on a breakaway. The 2nd goal was from the slot and certainly wasn't great but if guys shoot from there they'll score on occasion, so it wasn't terrible. The Oilers were badly outplayed and Brossoit made some really good saves to give them a chance. If the PP can't ever score and the PK gives up 1 or more easy goal a game then it really doesn't matter who's in net tbh. Brossoit wasn't the problem tonight.
Not blaming him but for the third night in a row he was the worse goalie.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I have never seen anyone do “absolutely nothing” better than Ryan Strome does every night for the Oilers. He’s the most inert object on the ice whenever he is on. At least Sammy Snowpants would have a defensive gaffe or fall here and there.

I decided to watch him today at the game just to see what he does on his shifts. He just floats around, avoids engaging physically or going to the net, and skates back to the bench. Chiarelli got fleeced

NYI fans said he was invisible. Half the times I don't even know he's playing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
1st PP unit:
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Nurse-Auvitu

2nd PP unit:
Khaira-McDavid-Kassian
Russell-Benning

Spread it around. Get some new blood out there... get some dmen attempting some point shots and work the puck around. Get to the dirty areas around the net and deflect and shove some goals in.

Less passing and more f***ing shooting and hopefully scoring.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Culmination of horrible goaltending, piss poor effort from the D and forwards, and the ineptitude that continues to persist with our coaching staff. Mclellan might be the only coach in the league who could be outcoached by Hakstal. Think about that for a minute. This is MacT/Lowe era type of bad when it comes to nobody in the media calling out the idiocy of everyone who has a hand in creating this line up and creating line ups for the games and creating formations and player groups for the pk and pp. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that they are still shoving Letestu on the pp its honestly unreal. Benning is the point man on the number 1 unit? Are you f***ing kidding me? I'd rather call up Bear and let him have a run on the pp because his offense is FFFFFFFFFFFAR superior to f***ing Bennings and their defensive abilities are probably negligible at this point.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
1st PP unit:
Nurse-Auvitu

2nd PP unit:
Khaira-McDavid-Kassian
Russell-Benning

Spread it around. Get some new blood out there... get some dmen attempting some point shots and work the puck around. Get to the dirty areas around the net and deflect and shove some goals in.

Less passing and more ****ing shooting and hopefully scoring.

I see no Letestu there. I think you forgot him.

;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
1st PP unit:
Nurse-Auvitu

2nd PP unit:
Khaira-McDavid-Kassian
Russell-Benning

Less passing and more ****ing shooting and hopefully scoring.

They just don’t have enough offensive talent. That first PP would be turnover city and a good SH chance against every time.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yep, for any real GM who intends to contend you make sure you have two goalies with at least decent NHL experience with good performance, and maybe a 3rd guy like LB who has some/little NHL experience but has done reasonably well in his small sample size last year. But to completely bank on that small sample size and his lack of experience in general is beyond idiotic. LB is a completely unproven NHL goalie, and to have him as your #2 is just an egregious error of judgement on Chia's part.
Every bet Chiarelli made this summer he's lost. LB as backup; Caggiula/Slepyshev/JP being regular, contributing members of the top 6/9; and Benning as a top four defenseman. It's hard to understand how a GM with over ten years experience thought this was a good idea.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Culmination of horrible goaltending, piss poor effort from the D and forwards, and the ineptitude that continues to persist with our coaching staff. Mclellan might be the only coach in the league who could be outcoached by Hakstal. Think about that for a minute. This is MacT/Lowe era type of bad when it comes to nobody in the media calling out the idiocy of everyone who has a hand in creating this line up and creating line ups for the games and creating formations and player groups for the pk and pp. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that they are still shoving Letestu on the pp its honestly unreal. Benning is the point man on the number 1 unit? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'd rather call up Bear and let him have a run on the pp because his offense is FFFFFFFFFFFAR superior to ****ing Bennings and their defensive abilities are probably negligible at this point.
I don't think Bear has played a game in a month. Dude had a concussion and not a single word since.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As much as there are the rumours of a rift in the locker room, I think the bigger issue is there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the HC and the GM.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Every bet Chiarelli made this summer he's lost. LB as backup; Caggiula/Slepyshev/JP being regular, contributing members of the top 6/9; and Benning as a top four defenseman. It's hard to understand how a GM with over ten years experience thought this was a good idea.
Because he's dumb. But don't you worry, we have a ringer in the minors called Cap Space that's just waiting to light it up.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

I guess they never taught risk management at Harvard

Reactions: Del Preston

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Had a .906 sv% and one goal was on a breakaway and the other while on the worst penalty kill in basically history.
Making it seem like he had a .750 sv% and let in 10 goals.
The stats don't always tell the whole story. Letting in the Weiss goal like that was killer.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Had a .906 sv% and one goal was on a breakaway and the other while on the worst penalty kill in basically history.
Making it seem like he had a .750 sv% and let in 10 goals.

So he only let in one crappy goal? Is that really the defence of Brossoit?

The breakaway wasn't even that great a shot. Mediocre goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad