Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Please dont blame LB thats pathetic

Blame Chia for putting him in this position he clearly isnt an NHL goalie and instead of continuing to let him develop as a starter in the AHL he has sat on the bench instead.

Its so ridiculously easy to acquire a good backup, there are alot of them. A 4th round pick is all it takes to avoid this headache. Or for FREE in free agency the past two seasons.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
This team is not making the playoffs... No depth at forward, no capable backup goaltending, and average defence. It's frustrating because other "contending teams" in recent years would add veterans to their line-up so younger forwards had to elevate their play to remain in prominent roles. The Oilers did the opposite.

Normally you allow a GM or coach to redeem themselves, but with the timeline the Oilers have with expiring ELDs Chirrelli and McLellan should lose their jobs if/when the Oilers miss the playoffs. It is unacceptable for a team to regress this badly with McD and Drai on the roster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers took 52mins of play against the worst team you will ever face in the NHL, on home ice, and people are blaming goaltending?

We scored one goal in 54mins against a team that has trouble defending.

Basically any semblance of a system beats us.

Precisely. The only reason why the Oilers were able to score some goals and dictate some semblance of pace against the Leafs and Flames is because those teams let it happen. Once teams tighten things up, the Oilers rarely come up with an answer and I think that is at least some part due to poor coaching and failing to make the proper in game adjustments.
Then again, I've seen this same story with the Oilers for the last decade under many different coaches so I don't know.

But seriously, how many games can anyone honestly say that the Oilers dictated the pace? The only time they ever seem to get anything going is when there's chaos on ice and they are able to get some rushes going with Hall err.. McDavid mainly. Otherwise, it's all too easy to shut this team down and this is a team with a 1-2-3 punch of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. It boggles the mind how this could be a cellar dweller with those 3 centers. Only the Oilers man... Doesn't matter who wears the Oilers sweater, it's the same issues every year outside of one what looks to be fluke year.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Good heavens I saw a different game entirely. There could have been a few more calls against the Oilers tonight that were let go. They play a lazy game and have too many slow-footed plugs out there to keep up with reasonably quick teams. There is no conspiracy against the Oilers - they just are really bad right now. They were outplayed by a pretty bad Flyers team tonight and it shouldn't have been as close as it was.

We weren't being outplayed until the Refs neutered us by calling penalties for physical play. I'm not saying its a conspiracy but we have 70 pp opportunities in 1/3 of the season and 90 against. League average is 90!! PP for, next closest team has 80, several have over 100. Extrapolate that and thats 60 less PP for an entire season, that is unheard of.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Please dont blame LB thats pathetic

Blame Chia for putting him in this position he clearly isnt an NHL goalie and instead of continuing to let him develop as a starter in the AHL he has sat on the bench instead.

Its so ridiculously easy to acquire a good backup, there are alot of them. A 4th round pick is all it takes to avoid this headache. Or for FREE in free agency the past two seasons.

To not bring in a proven backup was for sure ridiculous. If Talbot goes down (which he has) did Chia really think LB would be good enough to help this team get wins during crucial moments of the season? If so, he deserves to get fired for that alone. It's not on LB. Just like it's not on Letestu for always being played on the PP. This is poor GMing and coaching, 100%.

LB is a fine 3rd option, but for a team that truly wants to compete, I think you just HAVE to get a better option for backup. Otherwise we're left with someone with very little experience on a team that already has enough little experience in many other key areas of the line-up.

Reactions: A91

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
losing faith in todd, Saying how we looked good in practice is a bad excuse. Needs to talk to woodcroft or fire him

Fire Woodcroft and bring in Iginla as an assistant.

You can bet he knows how to run a cycle better than this slide it around the boards and then throw it back to the point garbage.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
To not bring in a proven backup was for sure ridiculous. If Talbot goes down (which he has) did Chia really think LB would be good enough to help this team get wins during crucial moments of the season? If so, he deserves to get fired for that alone. It's not on LB. Just like it's not on Letestu for always being played on the PP. This is poor GMing and coaching, 100%.

He was spoiled in Boston with Timmy Thomas and Tukka Rask. No clue why he traded away Nillson to begin with, I along with the majority of HFOil (iirc) was a fan of him on the team and hes been a terrific backup on every team hes played for since we traded him.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I have never seen anyone do “absolutely nothing” better than Ryan Strome does every night for the Oilers. He’s the most inert object on the ice whenever he is on. At least Sammy Snowpants would have a defensive gaffe or fall here and there.

I decided to watch him today at the game just to see what he does on his shifts. He just floats around, avoids engaging physically or going to the net, and skates back to the bench. Chiarelli got fleeced

Reactions: Dashh

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton

I agree....isn't it GMing 101 to have 3 NHL goalies? Your starter, if you want to have you next big thing who is almost ready, be your backup so be it, but you need the Richard Bachman down in the AHL to mentor your prospect and be the callup if the #1 goes down.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gryba and Russell continue to be gifted TOI even after the most asinine mistakes leading to goals. They’ve turned into this decade’s Ulanov and Cross with their insane ability to turn the simplest play into an impossible gaffe

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have never seen anyone do “absolutely nothing” better than Ryan Strome does every night for the Oilers. He’s the most inert object on the ice whenever he is on. At least Sammy Snowpants would have a defensive gaffe or fall here and there.

I decided to watch him today at the game just to see what he does on his shifts. He just floats around, avoids engaging physically or going to the net, and skates back to the bench. Chiarelli got fleeced
I give Ryan Strome a pass. He's weighed down by all the cap space he's carrying with him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

He was invisible tonight for sure but he was just pretty sick from what i recall hearing. I actually think he's a pretty decent 3rd line center when he has adequate help offensively.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Strome is such a strange player to me. One night he looks like an average 14th forward - the very next night you wonder how in the hell he doesn't go 25-25-50 every year. Maddeningly inconsistent.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Yeah, seems we traded a 60 point floater for a 30 point floater. There's some nice scouting there on Strome, lol. Team is a joke in so many ways, I hate to say.
Ridiculous how many trades Chia loses.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
How long before the jerseys hit the ice? What would it take to get Dell out of SJ? Slepyshev, LB and a 3rd? Dunno. This would be my last move to try and salvage the season before the focus turned to #fallin4dhalin.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Damnit. I had a good feeling about this one.. but we ended up thoroughly outplayed. I suppose props to the boys for keeping it close.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Precisely. The only reason why the Oilers were able to score some goals and dictate some semblance of pace against the Leafs and Flames is because those teams let it happen. Once teams tighten things up, the Oilers rarely come up with an answer and I think that is at least some part due to poor coaching and failing to make the proper in game adjustments.
Then again, I've seen this same story with the Oilers for the last decade under many different coaches so I don't know.

But seriously, how many games can anyone honestly say that the Oilers dictated the pace? The only time they ever seem to get anything going is when there's chaos on ice and they are able to get some rushes going with Hall err.. McDavid mainly. Otherwise, it's all too easy to shut this team down and this is a team with a 1-2-3 punch of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. It boggles the mind how this could be a cellar dweller with those 3 centers. Only the Oilers man... Doesn't matter who wears the Oilers sweater, it's the same issues every year outside of one what looks to be fluke year.

Center is literally the only position on this team with talent and depth. Everything else, including the coaching and GM, is well below average right now.

Can’t win with only one position filled properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad