Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
You cannot win if your goalie is going to let in a weak goal every game and the other guy just does his job.

Now, this season is falling squarely on Chiarelli's shoulders as he hasn't been able to recognize two major weaknesses on defense and in net and address them. Subban and Pickard were there for the taking but the Oilers stubbornly stayed with a player they promoted way too soon and who hasn't even played a ton of AHL games. Let's not forget Chiarelli signed Gustavsson last season as well.

The season can still be saved, but it will take a goalie acquisition and possibly a coaching dismissal to achieve it. I don't see McLellan taking the fall - but maybe his assistant(s). His contract is massive...Katz has the money...but really don't see Chiarelli doing it.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
The Flyers could have had 7 or 8 power plays easily tonight themselves. EDM didn't do themselves any favors. Not going to win any games showing up for 8 minutes. Pitiful effort again tonight. This team is allergic to work ethic.
may be true but not on the calls that happened. We consistently have a negative pp to pk ratio. Is it because we aren't playing good, maybe but on that point saying that they only committed two penalties is also a joke

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You cannot win if your goalie is going to let in a weak goal every game and the other guy just does his job.

Now, this season is falling squarely on Chiarelli's shoulders as he hasn't been able to recognize two major weaknesses on defense and in net and address them. Subban and Pickard were there for the taking but the Oilers stubbornly stayed with a player they promoted way too soon and who hasn't even played a ton of AHL games. Let's not forget Chiarelli signed Gustavsson last season as well.

The season can still be saved, but it will take a goalie acquisition and possibly a coaching dismissal to achieve it. I don't see McLellan taking the fall - but maybe his assistant(s). His contract is massive...Katz has the money...but really don't see Chiarelli doing it.

I don’t see TM staying if his assistants are fired. They’re pretty much linked at the hip.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The fact that draisatl doesn't have a PP point this year when he had the most goals last year on the PP makes you think the coaching is busted.

"Just pass it to Letestu. Always pass to Letestu. That's our gameplan for the PP, boys!" -- Woodcroft

I'm sure our PP is run something along those lines. Letestu is the key. He's the key to the PP and to going all the way to the Cup! Can't even fault Letestu; it's the dumb coaching.

Reactions: A91

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Such a frustrating team to watch.

Special teams are awful once again. Coaching staff never makes adjustments. /shrug

This teams never ready to play to start the game. They dont play as a team. They play with no motivation. They dont play for one another. I know theres a lot of rumours around the team, but only thing that really makes sense is that theres a rift in the room. They cant seem to overcome it.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Can't blame refs for this team
Explain to me how it is possible we have the least PP opportunities in the league, we could have probably scored, even with our brutal pass the puck around forever powerplay, if we had 4 chances tonight. Every single call against us was weak tonight and the Flyers were running interference and slashing the whole game. I agree it wasn't the Oilers best game but it certainly wasn't fairly officiated.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Koala has to go now so Chia can go eventually.
He'll outlast the coach but the sooner Mclellan is fired the soon Chia will inevitably be canned. Rotten team that doesnt show up to games. No excuse for not showing up.

Some notes:
- What happened to Draisaitl's passing. Boy did he look bad in the 3rd
- Chia get an NHL goalie already for f*** sakes this bullshit has been going on for too long
- Coaching decisions were just off all night
- f*** you refs, if youre going to be bad at least be consistent.

Good
- Nugey
- Darnell
- Cannar (Messier voice)

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Not much to say. This team just doesn't get it. Comes out flat every damn home game, doesn't make any adjustments to a terrible PP. Lucic and Letestu continue to get PP time and do nothing. Strome is a total waste of a roster spot, I'd much rather see Slepyshev in his spot. Defense needs to get healthy fast. Talbot needs to get healthy as well. I think LB will eventually be a decent NHL goalie, but we are fighting for our playoff lives, and need a better solution. Coaching staff... No comment. It's a shame to have so much talent, and do so little with it.

Reactions: Zguy370

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Crap on Brossoit all you want, he's been meh.

But.

With a home PK of 58% and a powerplay that has now gone 7 games without producing, this team is going absolutely nowhere.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
This team needs to come out stronger to start games. Let's try a few games in a row with the lead please.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
"Just pass it to Letestu. Always pass to Letestu. That's our gameplan for the PP, boys!" -- Woodcroft

I'm sure our PP is run something along those lines. Letestu is the key. He's the key to the PP and to going all the way to the Cup! Can't even fault Letestu; it's the dumb coaching.

8 year contract incoming

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's so obvious that he was carried by stacked San Jose teams.

Definitely agree. He still couldn't even get them to the WCF I believe, or maybe they got there once. But never a single SC Final with those great Sharks teams year after year after year. Hell, Dallas Eakins could've got the same results with those Sharks teams. Such an over-rated coach. Seems pretty obvious now. Even last year, we were carried by our top line clicking, Letestu somehow turning into a PP sniper (which anyone with a brain had to know wouldn't last), timely scoring from our depth players, and Talbot saving our bacon in many games we probably should've lost. We hardly looked dominate last year. I think we over achieved, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can people stop talking about playoffs now?
This is now at least 7 out of 10 poor performances since the Vegas win to my recollection. The 2 Blues disasters, the Dallas debacle, The Buffalo barffest, that pathetic performance against Arizona and whatever the hell that was tonight. The Boston and Calgary games were the best efforts although they laid down in the 3rd against Calgary, Toronto was a good half game effort and the Detroit game was more a case of Detroit not showing up than the Oilers dictating pace. To sum up, this is a poor team with many issues that go beyond injuries, poor goaltending, poor winger depth or whatever.

What an extra punch in the gut that they decided to play once they went down by 2 goals. Seriously, f*** off with that shit.
I'm sure we'll hear Mclellan ramble on about how the players are a tight knit group and there's a lot of character in that room. Seriously, f*** off with that shit too.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Crap on Brossoit all you want, he's been meh.

But.

With a home PK of 58% and a powerplay that has now gone 7 games without producing, this team is going absolutely nowhere.
Usually when special teams are that bad someone loses their job or another coach is given input. Not here though.

The PK is historically bad both at home and overall. 58% at home is the worst in NHL history; overall it is the worst in the last 30 years of any team. No adjustments made by the staff. Woodcroft said the PP just needed to keep shooting and the goals would come. No adjustments outside of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad