Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 - Jets 0

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't really understand how we're still essentially just shuffling the deck at this point.

It's not even that, it's shuffling one piece at this point. One piece isn't going to make any difference, they need to completely revamp the entire thing.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It's not even that, it's shuffling one piece at this point. One piece isn't going to make any difference, they need to completely revamp the entire thing.

Yeah, instead of having Ehlers or Perfetti in the slot they have Ehlers playing the left point to the top of the left circle :laugh:

I feel like Scheifele's best play on the PP was just playing the slot as a quick release alternative option. I have no idea if what I'm remembering is a product of Laine just being so dangerous from the left circle that it opened up more opportunities for Scheifele or if that's actually the best place for Scheifele :dunno:

Regardless, I'm guessing Scheifele doesn't want to play in the slot because he's been stapled to that left half wall since the trade.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Worst part of schief’s injury is kupari getting back in.
Was he that bad?

I missed most of the game - Kupari was one of the best things about the 4th line before he got injured. Felt he pushed the play and tempo of that line well

Ya not trying to pick on Appleton or anything, i think he can still be a good 4th line player and penalty killer. Just think Iafallo is a little better than Appleton.
Also generally has been defensively better

Even when Iafallo isn’t getting points he’s always doing something defensively. He goes many games unnoticed - a good thing imo

Personally I think Iafallo is one of the better defensive forwards not named Lowry

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Was he that bad?

I missed most of the game - Kupari was one of the best things about the 4th line before he got injured. Felt he pushed the play and tempo of that line well

Also generally has been defensively better

Even when Iafallo isn’t getting points he’s always doing something defensively. He goes many games unnoticed - a good thing imo

Personally I think Iafallo is one of the better defensive forwards not named Lowry
I didn't think that Kupari was bad at all. He buzzed around, broke up a few rushes by the Flyers, extended a few rushes by the Jets, and accomplished pretty much nothing. But he certainly wasn't a detriment to the team and I would start Kupari over Apples. Kupari is a good choice to put on the ice when you want to give your first and second lines some breathing time.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Tbh, would anyone be surprised if Kupari was a piece heading out for trade deadline? You can replace him easily and might still carry value.

Reactions: hn777

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I think it was a bit much to expect from a player that was coming back from such a long time off. I thought he might get some minutes on the 4th line and maybe some PK time but I didn't expect Bones to throw him to the wolves right off the hop.
Bones said he would of rather had Kupari play a few more games with the Moose, Scheifele injury forced their hand

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bones said he would of rather had Kupari play a few more games with the Moose, Scheifele injury forced their hand
I saw that. I just thought he would have played 8ish minutes on the 4th and maybe some PK time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I didn't think that Kupari was bad at all. He buzzed around, broke up a few rushes by the Flyers, extended a few rushes by the Jets, and accomplished pretty much nothing. But he certainly wasn't a detriment to the team and I would start Kupari over Apples. Kupari is a good choice to put on the ice when you want to give your first and second lines some breathing time.

Agreed. I felt that that lines struggles were more on Apples than Kupari.

Reactions: Inanna and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well @Jet what did you see?

I was specifically looking for bad plays. Didn't see any.

Forgot to watch at first but finally saw him on ice with about 11:30 left in the first.
Saw him clear the puck a couple of times on the PK. Saw him make a nice defensive play just after Flyers 2nd goal. Followed a Flyers rush and got there in time to tie up the stick of the dangerous Flyer. Might have saved a goal. Some decent work in the O zone. Nothing special. Would have been nice if he had scored on that play where he was tackled in front of Flyers net. I think he had already lost control of the puck though. But might have regained control if he hadn't been tackled. Who knows?
Haha really?

I detailed every single shift through the first half of the game until it became to much. He had one shift out of like 10 that is consider 'good', several bad, and the rest were just even, meaning he was just kind of out there.

I guess we have different definitions of what good is? I thought he had one of his poorer games, but maybe it was just because I was hyper focused on him.

Holy shit those refs sucked lol

We honestly got reffed more than we got goalied. I know that’s a lame excuse and our PP sucks anyway but the Flyers took away so many scoring chances with infractions. The refs set the stage for that when they refused to call them on anything, so the Flyers just did it again and again
Yeah the 3rd was particularly egregious

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's just regressing to his mean.

Also he's getting way to much ice time. Led all Jets forwards in TOI at 5v5 last night. Got absolutely crushed in xGF with 19.67% - it was like killing a penalty when he was on the ice at 5v5. Bones...wtf?
Bro I was screaming at my TV "why is he out there AGAIN? YOU SAW HIS LAST SHIFTS!"

• Haha
Reactions: Gm0ney

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I gotta say i think the PP needs to be better but no Scheifele and Connor is definitely going to hurt production. I'm way happier being one of the best 5 on 5 teams and also one of the best teams in the entire NHL . Teams that rely on a great PP to win games are going no where in the playoffs .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I gotta say i think the PP needs to be better but no Scheifele and Connor is definitely going to hurt production. I'm way happier being one of the best 5 on 5 teams and also one of the best teams in the entire NHL . Teams that rely on a great PP to win games are going no where in the playoffs .
I keep saying this, but it's not the personnel, it's the system. Like, it isn't a case that the Jets don't have the talent to put together an effective power play - it's that the coaches can't seem to put together an effective plan. San Jose is more dangerous...I mean come on!

Minnesota is 3rd in the league in xGF/60 at 5v4 - oh but they have Kaprizov...well they're still 5th in the league over the last 10 games when he's been out with (Jets-inflicted) injury. 9.47 xGF/60. The Jets over the last 10 are at 7.18 - a full 2.29 behind.

Oh but wait - that's without Connor and Scheifele. When Connor was in the lineup, the Jets 5v4 xGF/60 was...5.36! 2 behind their current pace. So maybe they're figuring it out a bit but it's still underwhelming.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I keep saying this, but it's not the personnel, it's the system. Like, it isn't a case that the Jets don't have the talent to put together an effective power play - it's that the coaches can't seem to put together an effective plan. San Jose is more dangerous...I mean come on!

Minnesota is 3rd in the league in xGF/60 at 5v4 - oh but they have Kaprizov...well they're still 5th in the league over the last 10 games when he's been out with (Jets-inflicted) injury. 9.47 xGF/60. The Jets over the last 10 are at 7.18 - a full 2.29 behind.

Oh but wait - that's without Connor and Scheifele. When Connor was in the lineup, the Jets 5v4 xGF/60 was...5.36! 2 behind their current pace. So maybe they're figuring it out a bit but it's still underwhelming.
All good points, me personally though, i find it hard to complain about a team playing so well that they are basically 1st overall in the entire NHL. If we start losing games then i will complain about our PP .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haha really?

I detailed every single shift through the first half of the game until it became to much. He had one shift out of like 10 that is consider 'good', several bad, and the rest were just even, meaning he was just kind of out there.

I guess we have different definitions of what good is? I thought he had one of his poorer games, but maybe it was just because I was hyper focused on him.

Yeah the 3rd was particularly egregious

I can't watch the game and participate in the GDT at the same time. Don't know how you guys can do that. I watch it a little late after PVR'ing it.

I was very focused on Apples too. I'm not saying he had a great, or even good game. Mostly he was simply a non-factor. But did you see the 3 good plays I listed? They were not super impressive, super star level plays. Just twice managing to clear the puck on the PK, which is exactly what he is supposed to be trying to do, and the very nice little defensive play tying up the stick of the Flyer who represented the most danger. Again, exactly what you want a backchecking F to do. Then there was the 1 scoring chance that he was not able to convert.

But other than those plays, I saw nothing that stood out, either positively or negatively. I didn't see any bad passes or turnovers because I didn't see him with the puck much.

Not very productive minutes but nothing to justify the level of criticism he is getting here either. Could some other player do more in his spot? Sure, but not any player we have ATM. Maybe, if we were fully healthy he would get bumped down a line. If we pick up a F at the TD he gets bumped further. Maybe.

Reactions: Jet and Ggg99

TRINZLER

Jan 15, 2024
And i will throw my 2 cents in about Appleton, he is a good skater but is a 4th line hockey player at best, he doesn't have much scoring touch or offensive ability. If we are completely healthy he should be on the 4th line and Iafallo should be on the 3rd with Lowry and Neo.
completely wrong appleton is on pace to have a 40 plus point season making just over 2 mill compared to iafallos 4 mill and 34 point pace and iafallo has played heavy powerplay minutes where as appleton has virtually none also why mess with one of the most consistently good lines we have another note that people seem to forget about is handedness u think a 3rd lefty would be better then keeping a right handed shot on this line iafallo has also seen 5 on 5 play where he was put with top line players while appleton has not appleton is on pace to have roughly the same amount of points as lowry by the way and the 3rd lines primary function is NOT to provide offense but shut down the other teams top players and because someone mentioned dzone and ozone faceoffs i will mention that iafallo is getting about 60 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone and appleton is only getting 36 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone sorry but leave the thinking to people who actually know what they are talking about

• Wow
Reactions: imec

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
completely wrong appleton is on pace to have a 40 plus point season making just over 2 mill compared to iafallos 4 mill and 34 point pace and iafallo has played heavy powerplay minutes where as appleton has virtually none also why mess with one of the most consistently good lines we have another note that people seem to forget about is handedness u think a 3rd lefty would be better then keeping a right handed shot on this line iafallo has also seen 5 on 5 play where he was put with top line players while appleton has not appleton is on pace to have roughly the same amount of points as lowry by the way and the 3rd lines primary function is NOT to provide offense but shut down the other teams top players and because someone mentioned dzone and ozone faceoffs i will mention that iafallo is getting about 60 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone and appleton is only getting 36 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone sorry but leave the thinking to people who actually know what they are talking about

Punctuation, man.

TRINZLER

Jan 15, 2024
Ahhh so we are basing this on his last five games not the first half of the season... just checking

But let's promote iafallo's zero points in the last five games... gotcha.

The good news is that Lowry is projected to get 80 points this season based on the last five games.
thank you for apparently being the only other person whos seen more then 2 games this year these comments are absurd about appleton

Reactions: WolfHouse and Ggg99

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022

Wow. That whole rant and you didn’t use a single period. That’s impressive!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad