Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 - Jets 0

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Every great team has a game that is pure crap. This was your game. Back to winning the division for the Jets. We are stuck tbh. Good enough not to win the lottery, bad enough to miss playoffs or get crushed if they do. Someday......
You never know. That description fits jets to a T. So maybe Philly puts it together.

Reactions: Shaundogg

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Gustafsson is our only center that has won more than half of his faceoffs.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well @Jet what did you see?

I was specifically looking for bad plays. Didn't see any.

Forgot to watch at first but finally saw him on ice with about 11:30 left in the first.
Saw him clear the puck a couple of times on the PK. Saw him make a nice defensive play just after Flyers 2nd goal. Followed a Flyers rush and got there in time to tie up the stick of the dangerous Flyer. Might have saved a goal. Some decent work in the O zone. Nothing special. Would have been nice if he had scored on that play where he was tackled in front of Flyers net. I think he had already lost control of the puck though. But might have regained control if he hadn't been tackled. Who knows?

Reactions: Jet

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Forgot to watch at first but finally saw him on ice with about 11:30 left in the first.
Saw him clear the puck a couple of times on the PK. Saw him make a nice defensive play just after Flyers 2nd goal. Followed a Flyers rush and got there in time to tie up the stick of the dangerous Flyer. Might have saved a goal. Some decent work in the O zone. Nothing special. Would have been nice if he had scored on that play where he was tackled in front of Flyers net. I think he had already lost control of the puck though. But might have regained control if he hadn't been tackled. Who knows?
Appleton started in the offensive zone 56% of the time, he had the second worst expected goals against on the team, and the worst expected goal percentage with just over 19%. He was a -1. There is no measure that says Appleton had anything other than a terrible game.

Ignoring all that, if you watched him tonight and thought he played well, I believe that you're probably seeing what you want to see.

Nov 24, 2006

You sir, have got some rose coloured glasses on. :cool:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Appleton started in the offensive zone 56% of the time, he had the second worst expected goals against on the team, and the worst expected goal percentage with just over 19%. He was a -1. There is no measure that says Appleton had anything other than a terrible game.

Ignoring all that, if you watched him tonight and thought he played well, I believe that you're probably seeing what you want to see.

I didn't say he played well. I noticed a few good plays but I was looking for bad ones. Really. I didn't see any. I saw a lot of not much. I tried to follow him. I find it difficult to follow a player on TV unless he is constantly in the centre of the frame. You usually don't even get to see line changes.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Holy shit those refs sucked lol

We honestly got reffed more than we got goalied. I know that’s a lame excuse and our PP sucks anyway but the Flyers took away so many scoring chances with infractions. The refs set the stage for that when they refused to call them on anything, so the Flyers just did it again and again

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
D wasn't their usual self - didn't like the stretch passes from our end... not our usual breakout

First goal was always going to win - flyers can lock down a game - jets don't have urgency against avg teams

Jets need to win faceoffs - pay for a 2c at TD

Special teams are just dead in the water... no idea how this gets fixed

Reactions: Inanna

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
28-10-4 , great season so far, like others have said missing Connor is one thing but missing Scheifele and Connor is something different all together. Personally i think Chevy needs to get us a number 2 center at some point this season for a little more scoring,might help the PP as well. Anyway great season so far Jets....

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And i will throw my 2 cents in about Appleton, he is a good skater but is a 4th line hockey player at best, he doesn't have much scoring touch or offensive ability. If we are completely healthy he should be on the 4th line and Iafallo should be on the 3rd with Lowry and Neo.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
And i will throw my 2 cents in about Appleton, he is a good skater but is a 4th line hockey player at best, he doesn't have much scoring touch or offensive ability. If we are completely healthy he should be on the 4th line and Iafallo should be on the 3rd with Lowry and Neo.
Apples is really struggling at the moment. Seeing his work live last night was an eye opener, and many in our section were talking about it - he was a liability. Plays literally died on his stick. Fanned shots, turnovers, lots of physical stuff where he was bulldozed - he did not give anywhere close to his best game (to be fair). Having said all that, he has routinely and often played much better... and is obviously going through a phase of terrible hockey.

Bottom line, he needs to rediscover his best play. That means far, far better possession and zero turnovers. I hate to say it but last night he sucked, and is capable of a much better level. When he is playing his best, he fits the 3rd line, and contributes by either giving good puck support or slowing down the other side. He's fallen off of that level for a while now.

Perhaps he is playing with an nagging injury?

My 0.02

The positives?
There are many, last nights game was simply that of a good team who ran into a hot goalie, and some obvious calls missed (the hold on Lowry later in the game was the most blatant example of missed call). But thats hockey.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Dull game.
Philly’s goalie was up to the challenge and played very well.
Helle rock solid, team still under 100 GA how impressive is that?
Hope Appleton doesn’t read these comments.
Every player goes through rough patches, I remember some people ragging on Samberg last season and he turned it around.
GJG
Get well KFC and Shuffles

Reactions: thereturn and hn777

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Dull game.
Philly’s goalie was up to the challenge and played very well.
Helle rock solid, team still under 100 GA how impressive is that?
Hope Appleton doesn’t read these comments.
Every player goes through rough patches, I remember some people ragging on Samberg last season and he turned it around.
GJG
Get well KFC and Shuffles
Ya not trying to pick on Appleton or anything, i think he can still be a good 4th line player and penalty killer. Just think Iafallo is a little better than Appleton.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I do think apples is knicked up and needs the break...Not arguing but it's weird how apples is labeled as an offensive blackhole but he has more points than iafallo with iafallo seeing first line minutes and powerplay time

Apples seems like the least of our concerns - we need the PP, PK and faceoffs fixed and apples is not the main problem on our PK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad