Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 - Jets 0

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Appleton has 5 points in his last 23 games.

Iafallo has 4 in his last 23 games.

In a perfect world neither of them are in the top 7-8 for 5v5 minutes, period :laugh:.

Add a 2C, bump Names down to the Lowry line, Apples and Iafallo can battle on the 4th line.
I'm not sure if Chevy is looking to mess too much with the top 6 - once everyone has returned.
I can see him adding someone who could replace Apples on the third and be skilled enough to sub in the top 6 if needed.
Iafallo will be moving soon to the third or forth - more likely the 4th.

The problem I see in adding a 2nd line C is that we currently don't need one - just my opinion but I don't see too many flaws in Names game other than FO's. And I think once either Ehlers or KC joins that line, they will want a center who can be effective up and down the ice, who battles, and already seems to work well with what we have on that line - and on top of that, he appears to be getting even better (without KC or Ehlers). The cost (likely a first+) might be too high for the return.

I'm also a self professed Names fan and that is edging into my view of this - but I really want to see how the addition of a scoring winger impacts that line before looking at a center option. From what I am seeing, this line has been improving every game - and maybe all they need to push them over the top, is what is already coming.

I'll be interesting to see how Chevy / Bones view this and what moves they make (if any) - all I'm hearing from Bones is how happy he is with Names. I don't get a sense that they see this as an area they need to focus on. But who know when it comes to Chevy - he will surprise you.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm not sure if Chevy is looking to mess too much with the top 6 - once everyone has returned.
I can see him adding someone who could replace Apples on the third and be skilled enough to sub in the top 6 if needed.
Iafallo will be moving soon to the third or forth - more likely the 4th.

The problem I see in adding a 2nd line C is that we currently don't need one - just my opinion but I don't see too many flaws in Names game other than FO's. And I think once either Ehlers or KC joins that line, they will want a center who can be effective up and down the ice, who battles, and already seems to work well with what we have on that line - and on top of that, he appears to be getting even better (without KC or Ehlers). The cost (likely a first+) might be too high for the return.

I'm also a self professed Names fan and that is edging into my view of this - but I really want to see how the addition of a scoring winger impacts that line before looking at a center option. From what I am seeing, this line has been improving every game - and maybe all they need to push them over the top, is what is already coming.

I'll be interesting to see how Chevy / Bones view this and what moves they make (if any) - all I'm hearing from Bones is how happy he is with Names. I don't get a sense that they see this as an area they need to focus on. But who know when it comes to Chevy - he will surprise you.

Eh a C can always play wing, or Names can play wing. Scheifele gets hurt and we're playing Kupari as the 3C?

We have no proven playoff C depth, adding another one would be a good use of cap space. When everyone is healthy we have Ehlers, Connor, Vilardi and Perfetti. With Nino and Namestnikov who have been able to step into top 6 roles.

Our C's are Scheif, Lowry, Namestnikov working out for now, and unproven Vilardi/Perfetti. I've been a big fan of Namestnikov this year but I think they need more to contend, eapecially when injuries pop up.

The Jets had better C depth in 17-18 and they still added Stastny.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Eh a C can always play wing, or Names can play wing. Scheifele gets hurt and we're playing Kupari as the 3C?

We have no proven playoff C depth, adding another one would be a good use of cap space. When everyone is healthy we have Ehlers, Connor, Vilardi and Perfetti. With Nino and Namestnikov who have been able to step into top 6 roles.

Our C's are Scheif, Lowry, Namestnikov working out for now, and unproven Vilardi/Perfetti. I've been a big fan of Namestnikov this year but I think they need more to contend, eapecially when injuries pop up.

The Jets had better C depth in 17-18 and they still added Stastny.
I can't argue your points if 55 were to go down (and that's happened before) - we are in a mess if that happens.
I just don't like the cost of the insurance -
Maybe they look at anther C option that doesn't cost them the farm? More of a middle 6 C? Problem is, there are a few teams looking to reinforce this spot - maybe we do have to go all in on a rental. I'm second guessing myself as I type - IDK.

What I would like is for this team, as constructed, to go deep and stay healthy - I don't like the idea of tampering with this team when I see their major strength being their team game. Easy for me to say. This is why Chevy gets the big bucks.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I can't argue your points if 55 were to go down (and that's happened before) - we are in a mess if that happens.
Maybe they look at anther C option that doesn't cost them the farm? More of a middle 6 C? Problem is, there are a few teams looking to reinforce this spot - maybe we do have to go all in on a rental. I'm second guessing myself as I type - IDK.

What I would like is for this team, as constructed, to go deep and stay healthy - I don't like the idea of tampering with this team when I see their major strength being their team game. Easy for me to say. This is why Chevy gets the big bucks.
If Connor plays tomorrow and not Scheifele maybe trying Vilardi at center with Connor and Ehlers would work. Good time to try it now and see if it works.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah I'm not down on a huge spend unless it's a guy with some term or available to re-sign. Chevy usually pulls a rabbit out of his hat like he did with Nino. Will be interesting to see what happens :laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I was either impressed by Lowry or not impressed by Schief lately, but, I thought that the first line was just as good. If players finish their opportunities, we were in that game. I mean, we don't have the depth with Kupari in the line-up, but, if it was for 1 or two games Monahan would be good enough to come in and play 3c if we could get him for a second.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If Connor plays tomorrow and not Scheifele maybe trying Vilardi at center with Connor and Ehlers would work. Good time to try it now and see if it works.
I'd love to see them give Vilardi some reps at C - that could be your backup option (in plain sight).
Also like your suggestion but maybe not with both KC and Ehlers - I'd run Ehlers with Perfetti and Names (and I think that is where we likely land with KC's return) - and then let Vilardi center KC and Iafallo for a game (or two) just to see what it looks like.
I don't see them nursing KC back into the lineup - he'll likely step right in a full speed.

Reactions: Jets 31

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So, you'd take the guy who had a 2 month spell of production in his entire career over someone who brings more to the table other than scoring? (I'm guessing your argument is Appleton over Iafallo)
I think I take the known quantity over the unknown. I like Kupari but he isn't replacing anyone in the the top 9 yet.

Reactions: hn777

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Im surprised Adam Henrique's name has never come up as someone the Jets might look to acquire for their 2C down the stretch. He's on an expiring contract, offers a bit more offense to his game than Namestnikov, and is a faceoff dynamo(which we sorely need imo). I cant imagine he would cost very much. I think he would be a nice addition that wouldnt break the bank.

Reactions: Jets 31

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
completely wrong appleton is on pace to have a 40 plus point season making just over 2 mill compared to iafallos 4 mill and 34 point pace and iafallo has played heavy powerplay minutes where as appleton has virtually none also why mess with one of the most consistently good lines we have another note that people seem to forget about is handedness u think a 3rd lefty would be better then keeping a right handed shot on this line iafallo has also seen 5 on 5 play where he was put with top line players while appleton has not appleton is on pace to have roughly the same amount of points as lowry by the way and the 3rd lines primary function is NOT to provide offense but shut down the other teams top players and because someone mentioned dzone and ozone faceoffs i will mention that iafallo is getting about 60 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone and appleton is only getting 36 % of his 5v5 faceoffs in ozone sorry but leave the thinking to people who actually know what they are talking about
Ain't I teached you no well english?:D

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Hmmmm well in that case I already made my argument for 15 over 22.

Appleton has a large body of work and is a hell of a lot closer to the last 20 games than the first 2 months of this season which were an outlier for him.

Kupari has yet to put it together in the nhl but you can just see what he brings to the table. Speed, physical play, hands, and offensive talent that Appleton simply does not have.

I'd rather take a chance on the younger player with potential.
This.

I don't believe that Kupari was considered just a throw in to balance salaries in the trade with LA that jettison PL Hollywood out our lives. Expecting much from him his first game back from injury when his conditioning stint with the Moose was cut short due to 55 having to sit would be unfair. I'm willing to bet that if not this season then next and going forward he will start to take on more responsibility and I'm thinking move up the lineup a bit. Too soon to give up on him and move him when we just acquired him.

Heck if this organization did that, Gustafson would already have been moved on from, Heinola and our shining example of holding out hope for a player forever and a day, Logan Stanley all likely would be gone. Even Bambi could barely stand on his own two skates his first couple seasons, never any talk of driving him to the border and leaving him there.

Schmidt sat for a number of games while we tried to find a buyer for Stanley by letting him play and it didn't work. Schmidt has been pretty darn steady since coming back into the lineup. Honestly I think Appleton might benefit from taking a seat for a series of games if the Jets aren't going to demote him to the 4th line or waive him. We have the depth. Would we really be worse with him not in the lineup.

When everyone is healthy:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi
KFC-Namestnikov-Perfetti
Nino-Lowry-Iafallo(or Barron)
Barron(or Iafallo)-Toninato(or Gus)-Kupari(or Appleton)

Bench-Chisholm and 2 F's

Trade or wave Stanley

Trade Deadline- 2C upgrade and a veteran 7th D

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Sorry, I cant find the Ticket Scalping Thread. Anyone selling tickets for Tuesday Feb 20th game?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Im surprised Adam Henrique's name has never come up as someone the Jets might look to acquire for their 2C down the stretch. He's on an expiring contract, offers a bit more offense to his game than Namestnikov, and is a faceoff dynamo(which we sorely need imo). I cant imagine he would cost very much. I think he would be a nice addition that wouldnt break the bank.

To be honest I didn't even know he plays C... thought he was a winger. I like the fact that if he doesn't work out at C as well as Vlad, he can still play wing on the Lowry line and allow us to roll an Iafallo-Gus-Appleton 4th line. Also looks like he has had good PP impact so would help on the PP too. I'd be all for it if the price is not too high.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This.

I don't believe that Kupari was considered just a throw in to balance salaries in the trade with LA that jettison PL Hollywood out our lives. Expecting much from him his first game back from injury when his conditioning stint with the Moose was cut short due to 55 having to sit would be unfair. I'm willing to bet that if not this season then next and going forward he will start to take on more responsibility and I'm thinking move up the lineup a bit. Too soon to give up on him and move him when we just acquired him.

Heck if this organization did that, Gustafson would already have been moved on from, Heinola and our shining example of holding out hope for a player forever and a day, Logan Stanley all likely would be gone. Even Bambi could barely stand on his own two skates his first couple seasons, never any talk of driving him to the border and leaving him there.

Schmidt sat for a number of games while we tried to find a buyer for Stanley by letting him play and it didn't work. Schmidt has been pretty darn steady since coming back into the lineup. Honestly I think Appleton might benefit from taking a seat for a series of games if the Jets aren't going to demote him to the 4th line or waive him. We have the depth. Would we really be worse with him not in the lineup.

When everyone is healthy:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi
KFC-Namestnikov-Perfetti
Nino-Lowry-Iafallo(or Barron)
Barron(or Iafallo)-Toninato(or Gus)-Kupari(or Appleton)

Bench-Chisholm and 2 F's

Trade or wave Stanley

Trade Deadline- 2C upgrade and a veteran 7th D
You talk about being patient and then you want to waive appleton? Appleton has already had a streak of good games, looking at Kupari's numbers you really can't say the same thing about him.
The dude is already 23 and his career high is 15 points. Appleton I believe has beat that every single season in the league.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
To be honest I didn't even know he plays C... thought he was a winger. I like the fact that if he doesn't work out at C as well as Vlad, he can still play wing on the Lowry line and allow us to roll an Iafallo-Gus-Appleton 4th line. Also looks like he has had good PP impact so would help on the PP too. I'd be all for it if the price is not too high.
True enough, but im fairly sure he'd work out a center. He's been a center his whole career. I also love the fact that he's a faceoff beast. Percentage wise his last 6 season have been 52.7%, 55.1%, 55.4%, 55.5%, 51.1%, and 53.8 %. Beyond solid. And were not talking a couple faceoffs a game here, those percentages are spread over 4366 faceoffs during the last 6 seasons(he had injury issues over the previous 3 seasons). He's on pace for nearly 1300 faceoffs this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00