Speculation: Florida to seek out defenseman to replace Ekblad

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
NyR has a problem child D that won’t cost much . Cough cough DeAngelo . Oilers might listen to offers on Barrie but it would have to fill a hole by. Top 6 LW , 3C or 1A/B goalie.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Gio probably comes somewhat cheap and can quarterback one of your powerplay units. Has a big shot and can move the puck.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Oleksiak could be a good deadline add. Solid shutdown guy to play with a puck moving type. Added bonus that he’s played in the division all year so he’s gotten to know the teams well

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Gio probably comes somewhat cheap and can quarterback one of your powerplay units. Has a big shot and can move the puck.
I like the idea but I wouldn’t do something like that until after the expansion draft. We’re forced to protect Yandle, then we’ll protect Ekblad and Weegar. If we go 4-4 which I think we should, they’d protect Forsling who’s still young and an rfa. If we add gio who still has a year left, I doubt we’re protecting him over someone like forsling. Gio will be 38 going into next season while Forsling will turn 25 in the summer. Someone like a savard works because he’s an upcoming ufa.

although, if Calgary took Stralman back, who also has 1yr left, then I could see it being more likely. I guess it’s unlikely gio would get claimed at 38 anyways

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I like the idea but I wouldn’t do something like that until after the expansion draft. We’re forced to protect Yandle, then we’ll protect Ekblad and Weegar. If we go 4-4 which I think we should, they’d protect Forsling who’s still young and an rfa. If we add gio who still has a year left, I doubt we’re protecting him over someone like forsling. Gio will be 38 going into next season while Forsling will turn 25 in the summer. Someone like a savard works because he’s an upcoming ufa.

Seattle would likely take a 4th/5th rounder alone to just not pick him. Can keep Forsling that way.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Seattle would likely take a 4th/5th rounder alone to just not pick him. Can keep Forsling that way.
If that’s all it would take then I’d absolutely be ok with that. But he’s been very solid for us, playing second line minutes, and now without Ekblad could get the call to play on the top line. Seattle could definitely be eyeing him, especially if his stock gets bumped now.

would you take Stralman back, also has 1yr left? What else on top of him (him being included just for contract purposes) to get gio? Seattle probably shouldn’t be claiming 38yr olds anyways

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
it is close to no lose as possible.

1. Deangelo would be made available cheap.
reasonable contract thru next season

2. no nmc so not required to protected

3. if you really like, keep, but more likely, you expose

4. If Kraken go otherwise, okay. He's still yours.
If you like him but not that much or need to recover cap, you buy him out cheap [special option due to his age].

5. If Kraken take him, that saves the rest of yr roster

6. NYR would likely take back Stralman as a cap dump in a deal, send him to taxi squad or use 3rd pair mins, then is useful as exposure requirement for exp dr.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Gio is probably worth at least a 2nd + 3rd + Stralman. Stralman still carries some value to us next season as a right shooting defenceman if he doesn't get claimed (We'd expose him). Flames fans won't like the return, but it's probably fair. He's our Captain though, so maybe that weighs in. In a pinch he might fetch a 1st and a project depending on other teams wanting him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Tony DeAngelo is done in the NHL. Please don't make any offers for him ever again.

If you guys want we have Tyler Myers who will have 3 years left after this one. He be 33 by the time his contract ends.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are they thinking a top 4 UFA with a hefty deal or are they thinking shorter termed, cheaper guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad