Speculation: Florida to seek out defenseman to replace Ekblad

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I agree with you. It's not a wise choice to trade dumba than lose Carson soucy in expansion

Just like that Minnesota is down 2 top 4d. We saw what loosing soucy, & dumba did to wild vs. Colorado
The Wild will be fine if they lose Soucy. Just extend Cole or sign a FA 3rd pairing Dman to take his spot. Soucy is going to be a 3rd pairing guy his whole time with the Wild. Menell and Addison will pass Soucy on the Depth chart.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Okay. That doesn't mean that he's gone though. With him still there, you've got him, Weegar and Gudas as right shot Dmen with Nutivaara capable of playing on his offhand.

I'd think that the market for top pairing LHD is probably a little deeper. A guy like Goligoski probably covers that hole a little better than a Vatanen or a Montour.

Well, I'm guessing that Weegar takes over Ek's spot. Stralman lost his spot to Nutivaara somehow, but I get your point. I'm just suspicious if Stralman couldn't step up being shielded by Ekblad how he will do now.

Montour or Ristolainen? Montour will be UFA this summer, Risto with one more season left on his deal at a $5.4M AAV.
Without expansion, Risto would be a great target for the reasons you said; with expansion, bit tough unless Yandle waives.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
DeAngelo would probably love to be in Florida.

In all seriousness though, Brendan Smith wouldn’t be the worst pickup if you need a rental stop gap.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thought he would only waive for Boston or vancouver?
That was prior to the UFA deadline. Then his number of teams dropped from two to zero. Florida is buzzing right along, and he's good friends with Yandle. The two were PP magic once upon a time ago. I'm not saying he would waive for FLA but it's not impossible. It's a similar market, and there are people there he's familiar with and comfortable with, and things seem to being headed in the right direction.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Florida can't trade for anyone with term, as we wouldn't be able to protect them in expansion
Yandle with a NMC I see. Yikes...

Ekblad and Weegar would be the other 2 D spots. If they went 4-4, at forward, it would be Barkov, Hubedeau, and who else as I don't follow the team so not sure who is doing well.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yandle with a NMC I see. Yikes...

Ekblad and Weegar would be the other 2 D spots. If they went 4-4, at forward, it would be Barkov, Hubedeau, and who else as I don't follow the team so not sure who is doing well.
For me I would absolutely go 4-4. Ekblad, Weegar, and yandle (forced to) are the givens. But I would much rather protect Forsling or Gudas, than say a vatrano, or Duclair, and that’s no offense to them or anything. Up front it would be Barkov, Huberdeau, Verhaeghe, and either Duclair or vatrano as the 4th. I wouldn’t be opposed to protecting Hornqvist but given his age and contract I think it’s unlikely he’ll get claimed so I imagine they’ll use that spot for a guy like Duclair who’s still an rfa or vatrano. Tippett and Loustarinen are exempt and Wennberg is a free agent. If they protect Duclair, then vatrano and Hornqvist will be upfront. Along with either Forsling or Gudas (the one left exposed) on defense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
OEL for Brett Connolly (cap-dump), Emil Heineman, Ty Smilanic and a draft pick?

I can’t really speak to the value, but I’d wager Florida is looking for someone on an expiring contract because of the expansion draft. Perhaps they do something like this in the offseason though, I really like their team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Edler with 25% retained for a 2021 1st and a d prospect

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils have piles of D on expiring contracts lol.
Kulikov has been very very steady this year,Vatanen, Murray.
Take Butcher and make it a 3 for one deal. Butcher has term left though if I remember correctly.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Vatanen may not be a bad depth move for Florida. He started slowly this year, but has looked much better as of late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad