Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Glad to see McCourt listed. Really felt like he deserves consideration. Would be nice to see Wismer still on the list too. Really hope things go well on draft day for the boys.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Glad to see McCourt listed. Really felt like he deserves consideration. Would be nice to see Wismer still on the list too. Really hope things go well on draft day for the boys.
Any idea why Wismer isn't listed?

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Anyone seen anything to indicate Owen Power might commit sometime or maybe a trade for his rights in the making. Would hate to think we wasted the 22nd pick overall.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Anyone seen anything to indicate Owen Power might commit sometime or maybe a trade for his rights in the making. Would hate to think we wasted the 22nd pick overall.
It's awfully early. I'm not concerned just yet. They've yet to strikeout on a Canadian kid with any of their early pics. There's a video up on the OHL website on him and I got the impression he might not be too difficult to convince to come to the OHL. I'll start to worry if he fails to show up to the camps.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Usually these high picks have acknowledged on Twitter that they've been drafted by Flint...Power has not

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The team's rookie orientation camp begins this Friday afternoon. Whether Power shows or not should be a pretty good indicator of his intentions to play OHL hockey or continue to pursue the college route. However, it was only 2 weeks ago that he announced his U/M commitment on Twitter...

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
After being drafted by Flint, Owen Power said the following on April 8th:

“It’s a really good feeling to be drafted into the OHL. I have heard really good things about the Firebirds. My cousin Grant Fontyn was invited to orientation camp last year and had nothing but great things to say about the entire organization.”

Reactions: LDN

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like a great first day of orientation camp at the Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center and at Iceland Arena today. Nice to see so many of our prospects and families in town. Two scrimmages tomorrow and the tailgate party, plus the bus tours of the city, universities, and Grand Blanc High School. Hope we can find several great prospects this weekend.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Little under the weather today so cant attend camp like i wanted. Would appreciate opinions of people who did

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Kind of interesting, but Flint 6th round pick Braydon Leeking (drafted in the Ty Dellandrea draft class and also from the Central Ontario Wolves) is at the Peterborough Petes orientation camp this weekend. He probably saw the righting on the wall in Flint with so few positions available.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Little under the weather today so cant attend camp like i wanted. Would appreciate opinions of people who did
Yeah. My kid had a tournament this weekend so I'm missing it too. Friend of mine is a coach out there and has pretty good eye for talent so I'm hoping he went and can give me some info but some differing opinions and different eyes don't hurt.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Kind of interesting, but Flint 6th round pick Braydon Leeking (drafted in the Ty Dellandrea draft class and also from the Central Ontario Eolves) is at the Peterborough Petes orientation camp this weekend. He probably saw the righting on the wall in Flint with so few positions available.
That sucks. I thought he had a shot last year and looked good the year before. I think I may have had him ahead of Littlejohn in '16. He had a good season this year too. I wonder how that works? Since Flint didn't sign him in X amount of time he becomes a FA? He appeared to be tradeable/worthy of a pick last year. I could definetly see him make the Petes. I'd think he'd be on the edge of making the team here too. Oh well. Best luck in Peterborough Braydon.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Finding it hard to decide/guess which 3-4 rookies will make the Firebirds. Vierling is a given. 5th Round Pick (82nd overall) LW Ryan Mansfield seemed to have a nice camp. Maybe D Bianconi? G Linton?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Finding it hard to decide/guess which 3-4 rookies will make the Firebirds. Vierling is a given. 5th Round Pick (82nd overall) LW Ryan Mansfield seemed to have a nice camp. Maybe D Bianconi? G Linton?
Yes, Vierling is a given. He has already signed. OHL rules are that the team can add 4 16-year-old (2002 born) players...the first two that they drafted, and any two of the others. That means that if Power does not report (unlikely at this juncture), they can only add two more from this current draft class. They can now add as many as they like from last year's draft class (2001 born).

Here's what I see as being open/possibly open roster spots that will need to be filled:

Spots That Will be Filled:
-Colella (aged out)
-Smereck (aged out)
-Forrest (aged out)
-Kislinger (to make better used of both an OA and an Import spot)
-Alexandrov (team has unfortunate history of being "one and done" with Imports)

On the Bubble (When you finish 19th out of 20, you've got to expect some changes, right?):
-Phibbs
-Littlejohn
-Collins (Looking for more impact from an OA?)
-Pilon

Who is Signed:
-Vierling
-Uba
-Morrison (I put him as the "leader in the clubhouse" for the backup goalie spot, just based upon the fact that he is signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad