Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Only seen him once against Elite Hockey Group in the OHL Cup. He made some really good saves against them. Enough to where I remembered him, but it's harder to project goalies for me. I remember after Antonio Stranges went off the board Flint took a minute to make their next pick. Had to think he was on their radar at that point. Really like that we got Owen Power with the next pick though, pretty surprised he was still available.
I was talking to a couple NHL scouts and asked if they also scouted the goalies. They were like "Noooo". We have a guy for that. We use "stops the puck" or "doesn't stop the puck" and might suggest our goalie guy come take a look but that's it. I thought it was pretty funny. I can see a bit, like if he's on top of the circle or too deep or out too far or if they're really athletic or really poised, lack of or solid lateral movement and basic stuff like that but scouting net minders is totally different animal and not one I'd wanna be putting my money on. Especially the younger they are.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Only seen him once against Elite Hockey Group in the OHL Cup. He made some really good saves against them. Enough to where I remembered him, but it's harder to project goalies for me. I remember after Antonio Stranges went off the board Flint took a minute to make their next pick. Had to think he was on their radar at that point. Really like that we got Owen Power with the next pick though, pretty surprised he was still available.
Remember, we still need to get him to report. He is committed to Michigan.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint can afford it to
I don’t know if they can. Flint needs players, talented ones now. Owen Power is a huge risk. When you are 19th out of 20 teams, I don’t like risks. If he doesn’t report, we cannot trade him. I am not sure about our 3-15 picks, but you have to hit on your first and second pick!

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don’t know if they can. Flint needs players, talented ones now. Owen Power is a huge risk. When you are 19th out of 20 teams, I don’t like risks. If he doesn’t report, we cannot trade him. I am not sure about our 3-15 picks, but you have to hit on your first and second pick!
I agree. If it takes a year to convince him, that's fine but they can't afford to completely miss on the #22 pick in a strong draft year when they only have one pick per round. I hope they have some info that leads them to believe they can land him. I have read good things about Bianconi and I don't mind them taking a goalie in the top 5 rounds EVERY year. It's not difficult to find a solution if they end up with too many quality goalies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe OHL rules state that a team can only add four 16 year-old players to their roster, comprising of their first and second draft pick, and any two of the other draft picks. If that's the case, and Power does not report, does that mean that they can only add three players from this draft class for the upcoming season???

From the OHL's Priority Selection Media Guide:

"Selected Players in the OHL-
OHL Member Teams are permitted to register a maximum of four 16 year old players selected in the OHL Priority Selection. Those 16 year old players that are allowed to be signed are the first two 16 year old players selected and a maximum of two additional 16 year old wild carded players in any round of the OHL Priority Selection"

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Let’s give it a shot:

Connor Roberts
Evan Vierling R
Jake Durham
Ryan Littlejohn
Ty Dellandrea
Jack Wismer
C.J. Clarke
Ethan Keppen
IMPORT
Hunter Holmes
Eric Yuba or Ryan Mansfield R
Kyle Harris or OA Trade
Jack Phibbs or OA Trade

Dennis Busby
Riley McCourt
Marcus Gretz
Fedor Gordeev
Halon Nilsen
Jack Pilon
Michael Bianconi R
Owen Power R ?

Luke Cavallin
OA Trade or Aidan Pitre or Evan Morrison

This would mean no Collins, no Alexandrov

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I posted this a few pages back.

G: Cavallin
G:

D: Nilsen (OAo_O)
D: Busby
D: Gordeev
D: Gretz
D: McCourt
D: Pilon
D: Alexandrov (I'd assume would be released for the export spot)
D: Power/Bianconi

F: Phibbs
F: Roberts
F: Durham
F: Harris
F: Kislinger (I'd assume would be released for the export spot, better options for OA)
F: Littlejohn
F: Dellandrea
F: Collins (I'd assume would be released for better options for OA)
F: Wismer
F: Clarke
F: Keppen
F: Holmes
F: Uba
F: Vierling

I kind of think a guy like Phibbs may not be back either, just hasn't developed much.
2 OA spots we could fill, I'm sure there will be some guys out there who would help the team. Possible OA Goalie to split with Cavallin? Or do they bring in the other 2017 draft pick Pitre?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
MJ5 we are pretty much in agreement. I am not expecting Alexandrov back, Kinlinger, or Collins, but you never know. I am guesstimating we will go out and get an OA or two for this young team.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Thought McEachern or Burridge could be possibilities but their numbers left a lot to be desired

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Is this the year that Farabee comes to Flint???

Highly doubt it, Savard posted a podcast a couple days ago that mentioned him. I listened to it, and it never mentioned the OHL or Flint at all for him. All about his commitment to Boston.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Highly doubt it, Savard posted a podcast a couple days ago that mentioned him. I listened to it, and it never mentioned the OHL or Flint at all for him. All about his commitment to Boston.
He could get top line minutes in Flint....dont see it at BU

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
My thoughts on Farabee are that he's only going to play at BU for 1-2, maybe 3 years. He's not going to be getting his Masters from there and he'll only be playing 40-45 games a season. Probably won't be getting top line minutes that first or second year either. If he goes in the 1st and his NHL club uses the same logic is the only possibility. I took a look at some of the Firebirds prospects a couple times during the season. It's hard to tell by just the numbers but yeah, some weren't all that impressive. Some were. I'd expect at least 1 or 2 to challenge for a spot in camp but it's going to be tough this year. I mostly agree with the projected rosters above. Phibbs was skating 100% and had some of his best games ever towards the end of the season but I just see him getting caught out by the numbers as a 19yo. Same thing with Kislinger and Collins. I won't be completely stunned to see Alexandrov return. I'd prefer they go with a younger body though. Power if he shows, or Bianconi who I've seen ranked up there with him on a couple lists. I think somebody is gonna have to get moved with '18 picks, '17 picks, possibly a kid from the '16 draft, 1-2 Import picks and probably 2 OA spots. What are the chances there IS a true disconnect between ownership and the league's management group and Nilsen is let go? Either way, Barclays gonna have to work some magic because there's too many bodies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thought McEachern or Burridge could be possibilities but their numbers left a lot to be desired

I saw a couple of Wellington (ojhl) games. Burridge didn’t really get my attention. Z.Uens looked pretty good. Wellington was a division winner and in a conference final

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I would be shocked if just drafted Rookie D Michael Bianconi did not make the team regardless of Owen Power reporting or not. From what I have read the kid sounds like a very very good player and is thought of highly.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint selected two left wingers in tonight’s U-18 Draft. They were Marcus Paterson from the Toronto National’s Midget AAA with the 2nd overall pick and then Russell Oldham from the Huron-Perth Lakers Midget Majors AAA team with the 22nd overall pick. Although both are at a position of need, our roster doesn’t have many openings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad