Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Just checked out Flint's roster (looking at Gordeev) and noticed Hakon Nilsen is still on the team.

I must admit, I haven't followed this kid at all since the whole saga with his Dad. Has he earned his spot on the team at this point or he simply still playing because of his Dad (even though I thought his Dad was sent away). His stats seem very underwhelming but he played 60+ games this year.
Flint had a short roster, and also had some significant injuries, on D this past season, but I believe at this point in his OHL career that Nilsen would have played that much anyway. He's made significant strides as a player since his first season. He's a 5-6 D, and normally a team would be looking to upgrade at those spots, but his situation is, let's say, "unique". He has a pretty nice shot...usually firing it low and hard, and leading to rebound opportunities.

Reactions: LeafChief

cub

Apr 11, 2012
So is Stranges

London can afford to take a risk, and has a history of guys coming say they are going to college. I hope it works out, there was a lot of great picks, why take the risk is my point.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Our 2nd rounder last year Marcus Gretz was committed to Ohio State, lets hope history repeats itself.

Reactions: cub

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
IF....IF they get Power to report, even if it's not until next year, I am really...REALLY happy with those first two picks.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
London can afford to take a risk, and has a history of guys coming say they are going to college. I hope it works out, there was a lot of great picks, why take the risk is my point.
Flint can afford it to

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If we are fortunate enough to get Power to report, those top two picks would arguably be the top first two picks in the OHL. Power, Gretz, an Gordeev would be a tall impressive defense and add in 2nd rounder from last year, Dennis Busby and the makings for a top defense is there, even though Busby does not have the height of the others.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If we are fortunate enough to get Power to report, those top two picks would arguably be the top first two picks in the OHL. Power, Gretz, an Gordeev would be a tall impressive defense and add in 2nd rounder from last year, Dennis Busby and the makings for a top defense is there, even though Busby does not have the height of the others.

Don't forget McCourt, he looked impressive in spurts.

That would be a very solid top 5.

Reactions: TcNorth

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Hopefully, Owen Power reports. However, if he does not, correct me if I am wrong, Flint would get a defective 2nd round pick in 2009 giving us three 2nd round picks total. Also, love getting Goalie Christian Linton in the 4th round. And lastly, after the first several picks, my assumption would be they have a forward in mind with their 1st import selection

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
828 has been asking for a winger and that doesn't matter much to me as many, many star players started out as C's and then just transitioned to wing...
True...much like how all the best baseball players seem to have started out playing shortstop.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Does anybody know anything about Christian Linton, the goalie that the 'Birds took in the 4th round? Wonder if that's the guy the team projects as this year's backup, or if they are looking at Evan Morrison, who is already signed with the team, or one of the other previous draft picks???

Reactions: Savard18

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
1 2 Forward Evan Vierling
SCOUTING REPORT: Evan is a smooth skating centre that has very good offensive instincts. He is one of the nicest skaters in the draft, plays a good 10-foot game, has a long, powerful stride and is very agile on his skates. He has a great skill set and can makes plays at full speed. He is a smart player that understands the situations of a game and makes very few mistakes. He plays a simple but effective game. Evan was a big part of the success his team had in the second half.

2 22 D Owen Power
SCOUTING REPORT: Owen is one of the elite defenders in this year’s draft. He has the complete package - size, skill, skating, hockey sense and he is hard to play against. At 6’4.5” and 210lbs he is an intimidating presence on defence. He logs big minutes for his team and plays in every situation. He has a great understanding of the game and is rarely out of position. Owen does a good job on the offensive blueline with his pass/shot decisions. He is very hard to beat off the rush or in his own end because of his mobility.

3 48 D Michael Bianconi

4 62 G Christian Linton

5 82 LW Ryan Mansfield

6 102 D Tyler Deline

7 122 D Jack Harper

8 142 LW Jacob Badal

9 162 G Chase Clark

10 182 LW Evan Boucher

11 202 C Owen Holmes

12 222 D Brandon Chabrier

13 242 D Chris Colavecchia

14 262 LW Austin Robinson

15 282 D Ronan McQueenie

That's a wrap for Flint.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Hopefully, Owen Power reports. However, if he does not, correct me if I am wrong, Flint would get a defective 2nd round pick in 2009 giving us three 2nd round picks total. Also, love getting Goalie Christian Linton in the 4th round. And lastly, after the first several picks, my assumption would be they have a forward in mind with their 1st import selection

Defected picks are only for 1st rounders. Second round players not showing up get you nothing.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Does anybody know anything about Christian Linton, the goalie that the 'Birds took in the 4th round? Wonder if that's the guy the team projects as this year's backup, or if they are looking at Evan Morrison, who is already signed with the team, or one of the other previous draft picks???

Only seen him once against Elite Hockey Group in the OHL Cup. He made some really good saves against them. Enough to where I remembered him, but it's harder to project goalies for me. I remember after Antonio Stranges went off the board Flint took a minute to make their next pick. Had to think he was on their radar at that point. Really like that we got Owen Power with the next pick though, pretty surprised he was still available.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Saginaw did really well again with taking some very good American players along with some high end Canadian talent. A few americans I'd have liked to have seen Flint take a shot at is Gerard Keane (his brother already plays for Barrie) and he is an elusive D man that can pan out for a team with his offensive abilities. Declan McDonnell is a point machine that shredded the Tier 1 Elite League this past year with his partner Nathan Mann. Saginaw took Mitchell Smith from Honeybaked who I think could be a steal in this draft if he wants to go OHL. He was great in the OHL Border Battle. Overall I like Flint's early picks. That will be enough to round this team out in the next year and add to this core group that should be very good next year and who know's how good the following year. Anyone they get in the next two drafts is a plus but they need to have the next two drafts with the mentality of picking those kids for a potential rebuild in 2020-21. Again, who knows what the future holds for a guy like Farabee who is wrapping up the season in two weeks with the NTDP U-18's in Russia.

Reactions: LDN

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Jacob is at the arena all the time. I'm glad they drafted him and I'm sure he'll report to Flint if he decides the OHL is the right path for him. Congrats to him and all the players who were selected by the organization today. Like every fan of every OHL team today, I'm pretty happy with today's picks. I truly think I'm not being biased though and there's legit reasons to be happy and excited.

Reactions: LDN and NTDP

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
As good as Cavallin played this year, there's no way I see them going into the season with a 17yo and a 16yo in net. Korbee might still be in play, Morrison should have a shot at a back-up role and don't forget they took Aiden Pitre in last year's draft. More than a couple scouts had him as the 2nd or 3rd goalie last year behind Cavallin. I'm really interested in getting a look at him in camp if he shows. They may be able to move Morrison and or Pitre for picks, have the other back up and let Linton get real minutes in JrA or B. Wouldn't be completely shocked to see them trade for a decent back-up "just in case" and for when Luke is gone to tournaments which I'm sure will happen over the next few years.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Only seen him once against Elite Hockey Group in the OHL Cup. He made some really good saves against them. Enough to where I remembered him, but it's harder to project goalies for me. I remember after Antonio Stranges went off the board Flint took a minute to make their next pick. Had to think he was on their radar at that point. Really like that we got Owen Power with the next pick though, pretty surprised he was still available.
Good, if Power reports. As for goalies? The goalie picks make for great competition behind Cavallin with Pitre, Morrison, Linton, and Clark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad