Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
No offense Bulldog fans. Caamano and Moore quit on the fans of Flint and their teammates before being traded. I will be pulling for the Zoo in hopefully a 7 game series.

I did not hear this. I do know they got traded with what appeared to be a fairly even trade. Conner Roberts is a solid player and those were some pretty high picks. I mean, Gruden wanting to bring some of his top boys back under his umbrella makes sense to me and Flint wanting to load up on picks to make a run later after the ownership disaster blew over also makes sense for you guys.

What did they do? Were they dragging their heels?

Also as a side note, Caamano is an Ancaster native (which is an affluent suburb of Hamilton) and I don't think it's out of the question given the ownership issues for the parents to lean on the team to bring their son back home. That also said, that is wanton speculation, I don't know the family personally so I can't really say weather or not that is the case.

I have nothing against Hamilton, it’s fans, the Tiger Cats, or the Canusa Games. I just cannot get past Caamano and Moore. Can I cheer for Hamilton without cheering for those two?

Just pretend they are Nicholas Camano and Ryan Mure and they got the names wrong on their jersey's.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I did not hear this. I do know they got traded with what appeared to be a fairly even trade. Conner Roberts is a solid player and those were some pretty high picks. I mean, Gruden wanting to bring some of his top boys back under his umbrella makes sense to me and Flint wanting to load up on picks to make a run later after the ownership disaster blew over also makes sense for you guys.

What did they do? Were they dragging their heels?

Also as a side note, Caamano is an Ancaster native (which is an affluent suburb of Hamilton) and I don't think it's out of the question given the ownership issues for the parents to lean on the team to bring their son back home. That also said, that is wanton speculation, I don't know the family personally so I can't really say weather or not that is the case.

Just pretend they are Nicholas Camano and Ryan Mure and they got the names wrong on their jersey's.
Yeah, this season after the Sherwood trade they just packed it in. Low effort, zero backcheck and Caamano who was already prone to ill timed penalties and lack of effort increased both. It was extremely frustrating. I do agree they pretty much just quit on the team, themselves and the fans for a bit. The team really turned around after the trade and I've been really happy with Roberts and McCourt. I don't wanna see the Greyhounds win and I still like Mattinen and Gruden (although he wasn't without flaws) so go Bulldogs.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Anyone have a list of the prospects that were drafted by the USHL recently? I saw Owen Power was drafted as number 7 overall. A few other names but not enough to catch my eye.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I heard earlier this week that Papista would not be back. Not sure if by his choice or otherwise.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Losing Costa Papista is a great concern. That leaves Rolf and TC running things. Yikes! Costa does everything except playing, coaching. selecting players, and broadcasting. I hope there is a plan. The summer is a critical time for all OHL teams. To keep things moving forward we need an experienced president in place soon and not a Branch cronie.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Caamano with the empty net, game winner, and the Hamilton Firebirds beat Soo.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Caamano with the empty net, game winner, and the Hamilton Firebirds beat Soo.
Well, I didn't think it would happen and I really didn't want to see Bitten, Caamano and Moore have any playoff success but as the playoffs went on I developed and stronger dislike for the Greyhounds and their fanbase than those 3. Quarter century of no championships for the Soo now. Another "on the bright side" note is that Gruden and to a lesser extent, the 4 players winning the OHL title has to be a slap in the face to Rolf. I doubt it, but he should realize he screwed up. From fired twice in a season to OHL title in 2 years for Gruden. I am pretty happy with the young core they assembled from it though and have been awfully pleased with Ouhlahen since his return from the U17 tournament. There's gonna be a drop in talent in the West next year. Let's see how far up the standings the Firebirds can climb.

Reactions: dirty12

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Soo fans are extremely whiny and arrogant. They were last year as well, probably the only fan base reading most these threads that I just can't stand.

I'm glad to see Gruden bounce back, obviously got a really shitty deal here. Bitten is the only former Firebird I don't really care for.

Looking forward to next year for sure.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ryan Pyette‏Verified account @RyanatLFPress 2h2 hours ago

And how about John Gruden?
Fired twice by Flint in the same season and now
coach of an OHL champion -- with a bunch of Firebirds.

Reactions: Toldyaso and cub

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Ryan Pyette‏Verified account @RyanatLFPress 2h2 hours ago

And how about John Gruden?
Fired twice by Flint in the same season and now
coach of an OHL champion -- with a bunch of Firebirds.
Coach Gruden was always well thought of by the fans here in Flint. I think I speak for all the Flint fans when I say we are very happy for him and the success he's had with his Bulldogs.

Reactions: zman77

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
Yeah, this season after the Sherwood trade they just packed it in. Low effort, zero backcheck and Caamano who was already prone to ill timed penalties and lack of effort increased both. It was extremely frustrating. I do agree they pretty much just quit on the team, themselves and the fans for a bit. The team really turned around after the trade and I've been really happy with Roberts and McCourt. I don't wanna see the Greyhounds win and I still like Mattinen and Gruden (although he wasn't without flaws) so go Bulldogs.
At least it wasn't the Soo...

Reactions: MJ5

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Great year for the Bulldogs! Probably back to five hundred next year with as many players they lose.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It still has to play out, but if high 2nd round pick D Owen Power does not report and goes through with his commitment to Michigan, that will be considered a poor pick by Flint.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
At least it wasn't the Soo...
For real. I've never grown to dislike a fanbase so fast. So much so that in one playoff year, they had me defending Saginaw and not necessarily cheering for but hoping Will Bitten and Nick Caamano would win an OHL title. That's too far I tell you. Could barely look myself in the eye. SOME of their fans set new highs for crying AND being arrogant. Not all. They've got players I like (Kopacka, Hayton, Leguerrier, Verbeek ect) and some I just cannot stand (Gettinger, Gettinger, Gettinger). I just think they were soft and built for all speed and skill with very little grit. I think they could have beat Hamilton if not for the grueling OS and Kitchener series but I thought that Niagara and Kingston were really solid and the Bulldogs did their job and dispatched of them quick. I think if OS had acquired a solid net minder instead of the carousel they used, they would have eliminated them. I think if Givanni Smith doesn't pull his bs in game 6 and/or the Rangers had even 1 of their missing D healthy for most of the series they eliminate them. I remember the first time the Greyhounds came to Flint I noticed the four stars on their jerseys. I had never noticed that before. So I stopped a small group of Soo fans on the concourse and asked them what the four stars stood for? "Not Championships." was an old guy's answer.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It still has to play out, but if high 2nd round pick D Owen Power does not report and goes through with his commitment to Michigan, that will be considered a poor pick by Flint.
Well, that's about 28 months away so I'm not gonna panic just yet and blowing only 1 1st or 2nd round pick in 4 years is about as good as any team in the league has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad