Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Troy Brouwer 4 years $18 mill

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'll reserve judgement. Could be a Joel Ward signing. Could be a David Clarkson signing. Hopefully the former not the latter as the final year of this deal is probably the RFA year of Matthew Tkachuk.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I was just trying to prove he was 30th-40th in many areas and was actually quite impressed with where he ranks in those areas.

Also add in that he is 5th in hits. 9th in blocked shots. 2nd in PK-TOI

And this is a winning signing.

Yes and yes. Seconded on everything

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'll reserve judgement. Could be a Joel Ward signing. Could be a David Clarkson signing. Hopefully the former not the latter as the final year of this deal is probably the RFA year of Matthew Tkachuk.

Considering he doesn't have any NTC/NMC's, his salary isn't bonus structured and he's broken 30 points in his career minus his rookie season... Don't think there's anything to worry about.

The guy competes hard and understands his role. We're not looking for Ovechkin here, we're looking for a lunch-pail guy who has enough hands to keep up with the big line; make space and provide a solid forecheck.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Rather pay the extra 1.5 to get an actual top 6 winger. Garbage.

Good thing he was a top 6 on a playoff team (St. Louis). The players you're inferring are also getting massive term. I'd rather a 4 year deal with someone who can play on our top line and provide the intangibles we need. Your negativity and lack of support for your opinion on this makes me think you didn't watch him play at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Rather pay the extra 1.5 to get an actual top 6 winger. Garbage.

I don't pay the extra 2-3 years. Not for the Wings that were available.
If Stamkos gets to FA, do I blink about paying him 8.5 million? Nope; he's worth it.

Do Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Nielson, etc deserve 6-7 year deals with 5.5 cap hits? I'd rather get this Brouwer deal, means when the time comes around, we can actually pay the guys we need to. Brodie gets his new contract the year before Brouwer comes up. If you're not sold on him, that's an easy buyout... It'd be a lot harder buying out another 3 years and 1.5 extra.

I'd rather make sure Brodie and Hamilton are taken care of in a few years, versus having a middle-tier winger making top line money.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brouwer is sexy.

Guys, Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Brodie and Dougie are the core, those are the guys you pay. Signing a Lucic, Eriksson, Okposo or Ladd could end up costing us one of our core players. Those deals will look fine for 2-3 years. But in years 4, 5, 6, & 7, what if they regress to 20pt players while they're in their mid 30's. How will those deals look then? You won't be able to give those players away and when we need to extend an Andersson or Kylington, we won't be able to afford them.

Brouwer may not be a sexy signing, but we totally need a player like him. And his deal won't cost us anyone. It was a very smart signing.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Interesting to see how we'll end up getting a 1st line RW in the next few years. I don't see us drafting high enough to get one through the draft or having enough cap space to sign a UFA.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Interesting to see how we'll end up getting a 1st line RW in the next few years. I don't see us drafting high enough to get one through the draft or having enough cap space to sign a UFA.

Honestly we don't need a "first line RW", we need a guy who compliments Johnny and Monny well. Focus on the pairs: Gaudreau/Monahan
Tkachuk/Bennett
Backlund/Frolik
And put players with them that compliment them. Look no farther than the 2016 cup champs. Conor Sheary was on the Crosby/Hornqvist line. Is Sheary in any way a 1st line W? No, but he showed chemistry and complimented the lines

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Good thing he was a top 6 on a playoff team (St. Louis). The players you're inferring are also getting massive term. I'd rather a 4 year deal with someone who can play on our top line and provide the intangibles we need. Your negativity and lack of support for your opinion on this makes me think you didn't watch him play at all.

Steen Backes Tarasenko Schwartz Stastny and Fabbri were and are all superior players. Top 6 minutes does not mean he was a top 6 talent as a Blue. He was their 7th best forward and they also have an amazing defense and had two solid starters. He is coming in to Calgary expected to be our third or fourth best guy when he is really worse than JG, Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Frolik, and probably Tkachuk in a year. You dont pay third liners 4.5 million a year.

Tarasenko
Gaudreau
Steen
Schwartz
Backes
Stastny
Monahan
Backlund
Frolik
Bennett
Fabbri
Brouwer

You see the difference? Our 7th best forward after this signing is Ferland/Bouma/Stajan.... so yeah.

I disliked Colborne but id argue Colborne is just as good as Brouwer so I would of kept Colborne if it meant they didnt sign Brouwer to this contract. I hope im proven wrong, hot playoff performances are always misleading (see almost any physical third liner on winning teams ever). We needed a more talented guy, we have enough "intangibles" and physical players in our 10 bottom liners, and their were much cheaper options to fill that anyways. Perron, Boedker, Vanek, Staal, Colborne, Stempniak, McGinn, and Chimera all would of been better options (assuming we gave the same contracts they signed) IMO. Not a bad signing or a good signing but there were better and cheaper options.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am a huge Colborne fan but suggesting he is as good as Brouwer is complete and utter nonsense. Brouwer is easily the superior player.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Ehhh that's too much. Should have been 4x4, plus letting Colborne go for nothing and see him sign pretty low stings. Haven't been a fan off BT's UFA moves, only Frolik has been a slam dunk move.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh, depends on if Colborne can repeat this seasons numbers consistently. Either way they are both third line options on a contending team.
Your know except the fact Brouwer has been playing on the second line of contenders for the past 3 years.

I posted this earlier but over the past 3 years Brouwer is ranked among RW as follows:

32nd in points
t-20th in goals
42nd in assists
12th in PIM
3rd in PP goals
t-14th in PP points
5th in hits
9th in blocked shots
2nd in PK-TOI

How can anyone look at that and claim he is not at least a 2nd line RW?

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I'm thinking that Brouwer is going to be the #1 RW. If you look at winning teams most of their top 6 wingers aren't making 5+ mill. Those are the complimentary guys like Hornqvist, Williams, Ward, etc.

We're not competing now but in a couple years this will look good.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you think of Fro as a role player within the top 6, then think Bro in the same way. Production from both players is about the same, just their roles are different.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not a bad signing but honestly he is a role not a core player

+Brouwer, -Colborne...

I dont think the Flames gained much if any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad