Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Troy Brouwer 4 years $18 mill

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Considering some of the term and money thrown around today I don't mind Brouwer at 4.5 for 4 years at all. Pretty obvious he's meant to play on the top line as that was our most glaring hole after goaltending was taken care of. Jiri Hudler had a 76 pt season with those two, see no reason Troy can't crack 50 or 60 even.

Think he should be a good fit, and is really going to pay dividends on our Powerplay. Wanted a Veteran UFA RW and I got one :) Was hoping it wouldn't be at the expense of Colborne but it is starting to look that way. Brad must be pretty confident in what is in our system because regardless of whether you're a fan or not, Joe's a young promising player coming off a nice season.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Hudler:
13-14: 54
14-15: 76
15-16: 35 (in 53)

Colborne:
13-14: 28
14-15: 28 (in 64)
15-16: 44 (in 73)

I know there's more to Brouwer than scoring, but there is absolutely nothing mind-blowing about his offensive production, even in comparison to recent Flames RWs, unless you're going to compare him to 4th liners like Jooris.

Nothing mind-blowing, I agree, but still an ok deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hudler:
13-14: 54
14-15: 76
15-16: 35 (in 53)

Colborne:
13-14: 28
14-15: 28 (in 64)
15-16: 44 (in 73)

I know there's more to Brouwer than scoring, but there is absolutely nothing mind-blowing about his offensive production, even in comparison to recent Flames RWs, unless you're going to compare him to 4th liners like Jooris.
No one claimed he had mind blowing offensive production. But the going rate for NHL players is generally $1 million for every 10 points plus a bit for intangibles. This contract is right on par with that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I've warmed to the Brouwer deal. 5 years would have been stupid.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Bennett-Shinkaruk
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik

Is a pretty solid group. Still hope we sign D. Grant.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I guess it's my turn to be the big negative nancy on the board. I ****ing hate this deal. I don't like him as a player, he isn't worth close to that, and that term is going to kill us later. It's going to kill us.

****. This deal is horrible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of the player, but I'm fine with the contract for what he is.
Obviously he's not my first choice, but I think he is a good fit for us. A RH-RW that puts up 200+ hits a year and can still produce at a middle six pace. Although scoring for RW is very low, so he's actually very firmly a 2nd line RW in terms of production.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm not a huge fan of the player, but I'm fine with the contract for what he is.

I guess it's my turn to be the big negative nancy on the board. I ****ing hate this deal. I don't like him as a player, he isn't worth close to that, and that term is going to kill us later. It's going to kill us.

What don't you guys like about him?

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
The thing is guy, we don't need Brouwer to put up tons and tons of points. We have other guys on the the team to do that. You can't expect every top 6 forward to put up 50-60+ points, if they do, you're gonna be in cap trouble. I think Brouwer is going to be a great compliment to the top line or top 6, and a great addition to the power play and the locker room.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think he is extremely overrated. His offense is always coming because of who he plays with or situations he's put in and not talent.

If this was 2 years I could stomach it, he is not the type of player at 30 years old you should lock yourself into a 4 year deal on.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
We got a .5 PPG player who can play on the top line for 4.5. That's not bad at all. Even if his production is the same, we addressed the RH need, we added size and we made the top line harder to play against. I see this as a great signing which can open up space for Johnny (more than Hudler did).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I feel like this is because he was a Cap

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think he is extremely overrated. His offense is always coming because of who he plays with or situations he's put in and not talent.

If this was 2 years I could stomach it, he is not the type of player at 30 years old you should lock yourself into a 4 year deal on.

7 straight years around 20 goals, and 30-40 points. On three different teams. Maybe he's put in certain situations and played with the guys he plays with because of that?

I'd say he's adequately rated.

I don't think his contract is perfect but it's not an overpayment either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

As a Pens fan you have seen players fall on their faces playing with talented players, it takes a skill to be able to think the game fast enough to play with players like that.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
As a Pens fan you have seen players fall on their faces playing with talented players, it takes a skill to be able to think the game fast enough to play with players like that.

I just think if this deal was 4 years $3, or 2 years at this AAV I'd be more tolerant. I really don't see him as worth this deal and don't think he is going to help the team too much.

But eh, that's the opinions I guess.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Yup, contrary to popular belief, it takes legit skill and smarts to keep up with good players.

Brouwers not here to put up points, he's going to crash, bang, get dirty in front of the net and open space for our skill. Just what we need on the right side.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm just not convinced he's particularly good at any one facet of the game. I wanted a top six right-winger, and he's always seemed like more of a bottom-six grinder to me.
Over the past 3 years among RW according to NHL.com:
32nd in points
t-20th in goals
42nd in assists
12th in PIM
3rd in PP goals
t-14th in PP points

Just saying.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Would have like to see it come in .5-.75 lower but not terrible. Think he adds an important element to our top 6 and think he can teach guys like Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett a lot. Only missed one game in the last 5 years and the epitome of consistency.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Look forward to us having a legitimate net front presence on the PP. 3rd in PP goals, over the last 3 years among RW, and the overwhelming majority are from in front.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This I feel is very important. One of the biggest areas we need to improve.
I was just trying to prove he was 30th-40th in many areas and was actually quite impressed with where he ranks in those areas.

Also add in that he is 5th in hits. 9th in blocked shots. 2nd in PK-TOI

And this is a winning signing.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Look forward to us having a legitimate net front presence on the PP. 3rd in PP goals, over the last 3 years among RW, and the overwhelming majority are from in front.

Agreed. With how good Johnny and Monahan are down low around the goal I think he'll do really well on our PP. Also exactly the kind of PP guy we can hope for Tkachuk to become

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I was just trying to prove he was 30th-40th in many areas and was actually quite impressed with where he ranks in those areas.

Also add in that he is 5th in hits. 9th in blocked shots. 2nd in PK-TOI

And this is a winning signing.

Absolutely. He isn't the guy that you'll see on highlight reels but he shows up every game and isn't going to hurt you regardless of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad