Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Troy Brouwer 4 years $18 mill

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Overall very happy with this signing. Brouwer was on my list of top UFAs for Calgary to target. The contract should be a year less and the cap hit isn't excellent, but he should be able to play somewhere in our top 6 effectively. Him and Johnny should be money together.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Good signing. I always cringe when I see $4 million contracts, but I think Brouwer is worth it. I maybe would have rather signed Eric Staal for 3.5, but he's not going to fill the same roll as Brouwer.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm having an argument with someone...

Does Brouwer bring 7/10 of the things that Iggy prime used to bring to the roster?

Scoring, hitting, fighting, durability, leadership, RH RW... Brouwer is no Iggy, but he sure ain't no scrub.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Does Brouwer bring 7/10 of the things that Iggy prime used to bring to the roster?

Scoring, hitting, fighting, durability, leadership, RH RW... Brouwer is no Iggy, but he sure ain't no scrub.

Iggy prime was the most complete player in the league. Maybe he brings 7/10 of the quality on 7/10 factors.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He's definitely not as good as Iggy was, but he does definitely check all of those boxes, but in addition I would say he is better defensively and a better PKer than Iggy. I think being a poor mans Iggy would be a pretty apt description of him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Aside from being lightyears worse offensively, the two do have some similar traits. I think it's fair to say he brings 7/10 discrete attributes that Iggy brought, but he's maybe 30% the player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aside from being lightyears worse offensively, the two do have some similar traits. I think it's fair to say he brings 7/10 discrete attributes that Iggy brought, but he's maybe 30% the player.
The better comparisons are probably Langkow or Conroy but much more physical.

I think people fail to realize how big of a physical element he is bringing to this team. Since the season lost to lockout Brouwer has more hits per game than any player (forward or defense) to play at leas 100 games for the Flames. Ferland with 97 games is the only Flames with at least 15 games to average more hits per game than Brouwer. I do not feel this can be understated, his hits per game among forwards over the last 11 seasons is top 30 in the league among players to have played 100+ games. We aren't talking Matt Martin, Cal Clutterbuck, Chris Neil or Dustin Brown type numbers, but in the same neighborhood as Alex Ovechkin, Milan Lucic, Brenden Morrow... etc.

With the addition of Brouwer and Chaisson, combined with a healthy Bouma and a developing Ferland, Bennett and Hathaway (maybe Tkachuk too) the Flames could actually be in the top half of the league in hits. :amazed:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
tumblr_m3vqmjnRii1rq3i3ro1_400.gif

Stamkos-et-les-fr%C3%A8res-Hanson-2.gif

tumblr_m3vqeoWojF1rq3i3ro6_400.gif

tumblr_m3vqmjnRii1rq3i3ro6_400.gif

Stamkos-et-les-fr%C3%A8res-Hanson-2.gif

tumblr_m3vqmjnRii1rq3i3ro5_400.gif

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
:huh:

I have no idea why I was arguing that last night... :laugh:

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Meh I think this won't be a great deal once everything is done and finished and we have hindsight. I'm more worried that this prevents us from re-signing Backlund who I thought we should've locked up long term (sigh).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad