Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Troy Brouwer 4 years $18 mill

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
We definitely gained simply by the fact that we won't have to have a revolving door of 3rd 4th liners at the 1 RW spot. As much as people dispute it Brouwer is a top 6 forward so at least there's that.

moon*

With the benefit of (not quite) 24 hours to reflect on the signing and I am still not much of a fan of it.

The Flames are at best marginally better with the addition of Brouwer in the short term but long term I see this as hindering their chances of getting an actual quality top 6 RWer. Brouwer may have numbers that indicate he is a top 6 guy but those are put up on stacked teams with quality guys draggging him to those mediocre numbers. Watching him play and his skill set is much better suited for a non-offensive role.

The contract won't kill the team because the money and term aren't huge but the contract and roster spot likely prevent Treliving from going out and finidng a real solution for the top 6 RW spot.

Treliving has done enough prior to this that I stil have a ton of confidence in him but this certainly takes the shine off of him. I guess all GM's are allowed a mistake or two.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think we're looking for anyone else.. We just drafted Tkachuk. I see our top 6 as Monahan/Gaudreau & Bennett/Tkachuk. That's where the offence will come from. Then just like how the good teams do it, you plug in guys you draft on cheaper ELC deals.

We already have Backlund and Fro, Brouwer will either play on the topline or with Bennett, I don't see what the issue is. We are set for a very long time going forward.

If you do the math, we can't afford another big name forward.

moon*

That's a lot of hope in guys who have done very little at the NHL level in Bennett and Tkachuk. I think they are good players and have a lot of talent but if one of them turn out to just be ok we have a big problem.

I think it is the best option we have but I also think in that case then I am fine with not signing Brouwer or anyone and waiting a year for development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"marginally better", yet added a RW that over the last 3 years is top 5 among his position in PP goals, PK time and hits. Brouwer immediately addresses 3 desperate needs right off the bat.

moon*

You are right marginally better might be a little strong.

Their chances at making the play-offs likely don't change at all with adding Brouwer and their chances of winning a Cup in the next 4 years likely go down with him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I guess it's taking an educated guess. The Flames have had Bennett under their roof for a few years now, I think they have a good feel for what he'll be. They obviously love Tkachuk, and I mean this kid is going to play, maybe even next season. Like, sure Austin Mathews and Laine are unproven as well, so are Marner and Dylan Strome. We all know these kids will play and produce in the NHL, the question is when. A rebuilding team doesn't necessarily need to go out and sign a guy to 7 years at 6 million per, when they feel they have better internal options.

As 100 said, Brouwer is a player that checks a lot of boxes and doesn't hurt what you're trying to build.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You are right marginally better might be a little strong.

Their chances at making the play-offs likely don't change at all with adding Brouwer and their chances of winning a Cup in the next 4 years likely go down with him.
What a shock, you dislike something the Flames have done.

moon*

What a shock, you dislike something the Flames have done.

Considering I love the Tkachuk draft pick, liked the pick up of Elliot, liked the Johnson pick up, loved the trade deadline moves, loved the firing of Hartley, liked the RFA decisions.

I would say it is pretty shocking.

Plus you don't know me so you have no basis to judge what I do or don't like.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Gaudreau will take another step this year, he's the driving force on our offence. I think he has a Crosby effect in that he makes everyone better he plays with. Brouwer will take some of the heat off him, so he will go to another level this season. I expect us to be right there for a playoff spot and our goaltending will be so much better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Considering I love the Tkachuk draft pick, liked the pick up of Elliot, liked the Johnson pick up, loved the trade deadline moves, loved the firing of Hartley, liked the RFA decisions.

I would say it is pretty shocking.

Plus you don't know me so you have no basis to judge what I do or don't like.
I know all I need to from reading your posts. How does the saying go, a leopard can't hide it's spots?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Gaudreau will take another step this year, he's the driving force on our offence. I think he has a Crosby effect in that he makes everyone better he plays with. Brouwer will take some of the heat off him, so he will go to another level this season. I expect us to be right there for a playoff spot and our goaltending will be so much better.
You are right, I too think Brouwer will open up alot for Gaudreau and with Brouwer in fornt of the net cleaning up the garbage and screening goalies we could see a nice spike as a result. He should be in the Art Ross hunt this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You are right, I too think Brouwer will open up alot for Gaudreau and with Brouwer in fornt of the net cleaning up the garbage and screening goalies we could see a nice spike as a result. He should be in the Art Ross hunt this year.

I agree. I think Gaudreau should be a favourite for the Art Ross this year. He wasn't all that far off this year either. I think he could hit 90 points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree. I think Gaudreau should be a favourite for the Art Ross this year. He wasn't all that far off this year either. I think he could hit 90 points.

I don't think 90 is out of the question at all. I think he takes a step into that Kane territory this season, honestly. Now that he will have the room to really do what he wants, and another offseason of training. The world will be Johnny's oyster.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
There is honestly so much to like about the acquisition.

He will be a perfect compliment to our top line. With his ability/willingness to get in on the forecheck, take the body and get to the net, so much more space will be opened for Gaidreau and Monahan to show their high end skill, especially Johnny.

Special teams were extraordinarily bad last year, we add a legitimate net front presence on the PP, and add a major piece to our PK to go along with Backlund, and Frolik up front, in what looks like the start of a good group of PK'ing forwards.

We needed to add size and physicality up front. We add a 6'3", 213 lb bruiser, credited with 200+ hits in 4 of the last 6 years, one of which was the lockout where he didn't reach that 200 mark, and was just shy the other season.

We add yet another guy with high character, which is never a bad thing to surround our young core with, he will be an excellent example for our youth. He's played just shy of 100 playoff games in the NHL, and has a ring.

I don't see why people don't like this addition, as others have already said, he checks almost, if not all of the boxes we needed to add in a forward. His contract? Sure, he is overpayed, but by no more than a year and 750K at most.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's weird with the overpay thing. He signed in St. Louis for 3.66 then continued to improve for them. When a player gets better you kind of expect that player to get more money.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005

This, there's a good article lots of you have probably seen where a scout is talking about Brouwer and how he does his best work when someone else takes the puck in and he arrives late to the party. Pretty much sums it up, Johnny carries it in, Brouwer to the net and hey forgot about Monohan. He's kind of good too.

moon*

I don't see why people don't like this addition, as others have already said, he checks almost, if not all of the boxes we needed to add in a forward. His contract? Sure, he is overpayed, but by no more than a year and 750K at most.

Well I can't speak for others but for myself the reason I am not a fan is that while he does check off a lot of boxes as you say he is missing a key box for me which is offensive skill.

I think for the toughness, size, PK ability we should be able to fill those boxes for less than 4.5 million. Also for me him and Frolik are fairly redudant in they both fill the defensively responsible, not much offense top role so I am not a fan at having both of them at 4+ million dollars going forward.

If he is on the top line getting dragged along by Gaudreau and Monahan ok but I think we can have a 3rd banana on that line for cheaper and it leaves a big hole on Bennetts line. If he is on Bennetts line it is nice to have a vet there but doesn't do much to help Bennett develop his offensive game. 4.5 million and we still have this many holes/questions in our top 6 isn't great for me.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think people are missing the fact that a lot of these better fits out there had no intentions of signing in Calgary. Okposo at 6mil per hey great. Did he even pick up the phone when he saw an Alberta area code?

Ladd, Staal, Erikkson, etc. Thinking they weren't interested. Watching Brouwer's interview wow he could barely keep a grin off his face. You could just tell he was so excited and pumped to be here.

I don't think anyone's saying we got Marian Hossa here. But he's a top 9 guy. We need leadership, 20-25 goals and 200 hits out of the guy. We aren't expecting much else.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think people are missing the fact that a lot of these better fits out there had no intentions of signing in Calgary. Okposo at 6mil per hey great. Did he even pick up the phone when he saw an Alberta area code?

Ladd, Staal, Erikkson, etc. Thinking they weren't interested. Watching Brouwer's interview wow he could barely keep a grin off his face. You could just tell he was so excited and pumped to be here.

I don't think anyone's saying we got Marian Hossa here. But he's a top 9 guy. We need leadership, 20-25 goals and 200 hits out of the guy. We aren't expecting much else.
It's a great signing for us because he checks so many boxes and we didn't get roped into a long term stupid contract like a few other teams. What I expect is a net presence on the PP, a top PKer and physical play; three areas we were desperately in need of help in.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Well I can't speak for others but for myself the reason I am not a fan is that while he does check off a lot of boxes as you say he is missing a key box for me which is offensive skill.

I think for the toughness, size, PK ability we should be able to fill those boxes for less than 4.5 million. Also for me him and Frolik are fairly redudant in they both fill the defensively responsible, not much offense top role so I am not a fan at having both of them at 4+ million dollars going forward.

If he is on the top line getting dragged along by Gaudreau and Monahan ok but I think we can have a 3rd banana on that line for cheaper and it leaves a big hole on Bennetts line. If he is on Bennetts line it is nice to have a vet there but doesn't do much to help Bennett develop his offensive game. 4.5 million and we still have this many holes/questions in our top 6 isn't great for me.

I mean, sure it's certainly fair to say that he doesn't have the high end skill, but he is a safe bet to put up roughly 20 goals and 40 points. A lot of the things he does won't necessarily lead to him putting up the points, but his line mates benefitting from him being hard on the forecheck and body. I think he will help our offence for sure, maybe not with the sexy plays that shows high end skill, but driving the net and creating room for others. He will certainly help our PP and that will result in more goals. After all, there are very few lines in the NHL with 3 elite offensive players. Many lines find great success with two players with high end skill, and a third that compliments them.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
It's weird with the overpay thing. He signed in St. Louis for 3.66 then continued to improve for them. When a player gets better you kind of expect that player to get more money.

Nonsense! Brouwer for $3.5m would've been so much better, no way a player that gets better should get paid more, that's only the logical thing to think.

Okposo would have been the only guy I would have wanted the Flames to take over Brouwer, and considering he didn't want to sign with any Canadian team, I'm perfectly content with the Brouwer deal. Brouwer's excitement to be here just makes it all the better, as well. Additionally, as 1TG, Hox, yourself and many others have said, Brouwer ticks off a lot of boxes that we needed to have taken care of. The fact that some people here would rather have the Lucic deal is beyond comprehension.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again as I said, Johnny, Monahan, Bennett and soon Tkachuk will be the offence.

In Chicago, they had Toews, Hossa, Kane and Sharp. Later they added Saad and then Panarin. The key here is, they use pairs and have had a ton of success doing so. It would have been to get Okposo, but would you trade him for Dougie or Brodie? Because that decision might have come to fruition in a few seasons. Or maybe when Andersson has a breakout year and now all of the sudden he needs 5 million, well now we have to trade him. Getting a contract you can manage now and in the short/long term is of high importance. Both Frolik and Brouwer could be moved if necessary, I can't say the same about a lot of the deals that were signed yesterday.

Brouwer will be a fan favourite here, if people liked Bouma, they will love this guy.

moon*

I mean, sure it's certainly fair to say that he doesn't have the high end skill, but he is a safe bet to put up roughly 20 goals and 40 points. A lot of the things he does won't necessarily lead to him putting up the points, but his line mates benefitting from him being hard on the forecheck and body. I think he will help our offence for sure, maybe not with the sexy plays that shows high end skill, but driving the net and creating room for others. He will certainly help our PP and that will result in more goals. After all, there are very few lines in the NHL with 3 elite offensive players. Many lines find great success with two players with high end skill, and a third that compliments them.

I can see that just think we can fill that spot with someone cheaper than Brouwer.

I should say don't hate the move, don't think it is terrible. I am just not a fan of it. I don't think it hurts us long term, I just don't think it makes us much better, especially in terms of being a contender for the Cup.

I would give the signing a C which is probably similar to the grade that I would give Treliving if he hadn't signed anyone to fill the top 6 role, especially considering the price/term we have seen for other guys given out yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00