Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Anyone know when Jagr will be in the lineup and who he's projected to be playing with? Wondering if I should hold on to him in my Fantasy league.

Thanks
Probably with Versteeg and Bennett. Doubt he plays for at least another week though

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Probably with Versteeg and Bennett. Doubt he plays for at least another week though

Jagr is healthy, and he works out hard, he will be ready to go Saturday.

In his first season with the Devils (new team, offensively challenged team), Jagr hurt his back while flying on the plane from Czech to New Jersey and didn't play a single game during preseason, and didn't even practice. Most people in fact made fun of him and said his "old" back couldn't even handle a plane ride, how was he going to handle a full season. This was also following a season in which he played in game 6 of the Stanley Cup final. Guess what, Jagr not only didn't miss a single game (he played all 82 games), he went on to have 67 Pts (24 goals) including 50 Pts at evenstrength (which was top 10 in the NHL for 5-on-5) play, he was also a + 16. He was far and away his team's best player. Bares pointing it out again, that Devils team was so offensively challenged, it wasn't even funny. Jagr's linemates were Zubrus and Zajac for heaven's sake. Jagr was also 235 lbs that season, and he was darn slow.

He's 213 lbs this year, has been training for 7 weeks now with his Kladno team, and actually participating in team scrimmages and drills. He's also not hurt. People are worrying about Jagr too much. Jagr literally got off the plane and was training, of course jet lag and fatigue were going to be an issue on Day 1.

I will make a crazy and bold prediction, but if healthy, Jagr could very well lead the Flames in scoring (that also includes outscoring Gaudreau).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Probably Saturday. I would expect him to start with Versteeg and Bennett, but there is a chance he ends up on the top line at some point I think.
Jagr may be an ageless wonder, but he's in his mid-40s. I don't think he's got the stamina for top line minutes anymore. I remember a lot of chatter about how gassed he would get compared to the other guys on his line at times. I'd rather have 12 minutes of high quality Jagr than 16 minutes of him operating at sub-optimal levels.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Jagr may be an ageless wonder, but he's in his mid-40s. I don't think he's got the stamina for top line minutes anymore. I remember a lot of chatter about how gassed he would get compared to the other guys on his line at times. I'd rather have 12 minutes of high quality Jagr than 16 minutes of him operating at sub-optimal levels.

Yet he played 17-18 minutes a night just 2 years ago when he had that 27 goals, and 66 Pts season. Last season was an anomaly, Jagr looked a bit deflated, especially after they fired Gallant, not to say it's an issue, but some people were started to wonder if Jagr was mailing it in a bit. He looked very fast (snake bit) in his first month of playing, but then suddenly in November (after they fired Gallant), Jagr didn't look the same. How would any player feel, if their coach got fired while everyone was loading the team bus, only to be asked to take a cab? Jagr and Gallant seemed to have a great working relationship, and as soon the Panthers fired him, Jagr seemed to have lots his passion to play for them.

I think people are vastly overlooking the fact that Jagr comes to the Flames much more trim and lea than he's been in 15-20 years. If you look at his hockey cards or player profile, Jagr has not weighed less than 215 lbs since 1995. He's now 213 lbs, that will be huge for him, with less weight to carry, it might help his skating and agility, while also making it easier on his cardiovascular system.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think people are vastly overlooking the fact that Jagr comes to the Flames much more trim and lea than he's been in 15-20 years. If you look at his hockey cards or player profile, Jagr has not weighed less than 215 lbs since 1995. He's now 213 lbs, that will be huge for him, with less weight to carry, it might help his skating and agility, while also making it easier on his cardiovascular system.

Everything is a two-sided coin. Will Jagr be able to dominate physically without the extra weight?

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Huberdeau credited Jagr for helping him and Barkov, and said his legendary work ethic influenced the Panthers' younger players.

"I remember when he came in, I wasn't sure what to expect with a player like Jagr, a legend," Huberdeau said. "Would he care about us, the young guys. But, he did. He helped us and he gave us confidence too.

"Me and Barkov, playing with him, he told us we were really good players and we had to play the way we can play and to our potential. He helped us with the work ethic too. At the end of practice, he would make us skate again. It's cool to see a guy that is 45 and he can still do that."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-huberdeau-says-jaromir-jagr-can-still-play-in-nhl/c-290885620

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
After tonight, Jagr comes in for Brouwer right? We do some lineup switching?

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Monahan - Jagr (oh my god the speed on that line)
Glass - Staj - Ferland

Reactions: Flameshomer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
While I hope that's the case, with his age and resulting decreasing of testosterone levels, it could also mean decreased muscle mass.

Jaromir Jagr does not lack testosterone :laugh:

In all seriousness though, basing his play off of last season, I’m not to worried about it. With his mental IQ, he will play to his strengths.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I’m glad Jagr was able to be in the dome for last night’s game. I hope it got him excited to be playing and looking forward to being part of this team. I’m sure he’s been in some pretty high energy buildings but last night’s Sea of Red was in peak form. Just wait until he’s actually on the ice!

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
Seen Jagr's segment with the travelling Jagr's, he could not stop smiling and seemed pretty damn proud of being a Flame! Can't wait to see his debut for you guys, congrats on last night's win too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Does it seem like he'll play this Saturday in Vancouver? I might try to get tickets if so

There's no way of knowing for sure, right now because he's decided either the day of or before the game, whether he's playing. I think it's pretty likely that Saturday will be his first game imo

Reactions: Hagstrom

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
GG saying that Jagr will play tonight against the Kings.
5GaKIgp.gif

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So glad I'm not working tonight. I can't believe I was on the fence about Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad