Series Talk: ECQF: Florida Panthers vs Tampa Bay Lightning (FLA leads 3-1)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Lightning in 4

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Lightning in 5

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Lightning in 6

Votes: 71 10.7%
  • Lightning in 7

Votes: 133 20.1%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 27 4.1%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 89 13.4%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 204 30.8%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 122 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
One of Lightning poster/fans on our forum pointed out that Kucherov laid 1st round playoff-egg after winning Art Ross last time (Blue-Jackets 1st rd). Found that interesting, and after sleeping on it, this could be reasoning to why Kucherov looks so darn off. Kucherov doing this once after Art Ross sure. But..... twice after winning Art Ross is starting a pattern. Something might be up, and while X's & O's interest me within sports. The human factor & mental part of sports intrigues me more so. I'll leave the X's & O's to others here: do enjoy reading those X's & O's analyses by the way (Just because I don't hit like much, doesn't mean I don't read or appreciate everyone's postings) Grrrrr.... them darn like-buttons!!! So thanks again to those who post and give great X's & O's info/stats, wanted to say this before crawling back into lurk mode here soon.

Possible reasons to Kuch is laying another playoff egg after Art Ross
  • Kuch is playing another good D, any good D or goalie can make anyone look worse.
  • When considering Lightning's lack of bottom 6 scoring help, and Florida being better Defensively, this allow Panthers to locked down stars better.
  • But only thing with D being reasoning: is Kuch has faced tough D during playoff many times over all since 2015. Kucherov has preformed and shown he's capable of handling great D/goalies in playoffs. Even when rest of team is laying eggs.
  • Plus,, Kucherov is making unforced errors to much, while having space/time, that he barley makes (bad passes, puck handling, etc.).
  • I'm starting to think: Kucherov just doesn't play under individual-accolades-microscope well at all. This is amplified 10-fold when Kuch's individual attention is across all of Hockey world.
  • Kucherov goes into fumble & stumble mode: The Kuch we're witnessing right now can't even make basic passes, with plenty of space, alone special plays he's known for. Some pass attempts are like 1-2 yards off, it's like watching a completely different player these last 3 games.
  • Maybe it's Kuch's "Sorta" shy-humble personality that wants to stay unnoticed that causing some of this. Kuch just wants to play "Team Hockey" and "Win playoff games". Kucherov has never cared or doesn't care now about individual accolades. (NHL All-star game anyone?)
  • Who knows, but Lightning only go as far as "QB Kucherov" takes them. This has been so since 2015 and don't see any reason to why that would change now.
  • This is even more so now when we consider Lightning are dealing with what "Salary Caps" are suppose to do, weaken successful teams. Lightning had worse success timing -vs- cap timing any multiple "Cup" winner dealt with ever. This smacked Lightning slap silly!!! Like a professional fighter might do to some chump on-the-streets. But that understandable, it happens. To Lightning credit, they've done well to stay playoff competitive, to tell ya the truth.
  • Still, Lightning can't afford bad Kucherov now more than ever. If this version of Kucherov played this regular season, Lightning are maybe NHL bottom-dweller.

If Kucherov wins another Art Ross, maybe Lightning should give Kucherov a few Bud-lights or more, before playoff game to loosen him up, >>>> Winning Cup + Bud-light = Not shy Kucherov and very "I don't give a ---k" personality. Maybe that follows Kucherov onto ice..... 😜

Many NHL fans probably think Kucherov is that personality from press-conference & "Cup" parades (Nope, that's far from truth: Kucherov is as shy as they come & hates individual media attention, Really hates it!!!). With this being so, don't think Kucherov would handle any NHL market that has huge-crazed media following team. That would bring something Kuch really doesn't like, handle well, etc . Lightning/Tampa is perfect place/environment for Kucherov, he gets to hang low-profile all season long (I give NHL stars benefit of doubt in those situations, it can be to much. Also try not to rag on any NHL player dealing with that either) Watch other Kuch interviews, one will see a shy Kucherov that could succumb to pressures that great individual achievements bring about. Mental part of sports is fascinating to me; Throw in when Kucherov mentions "Lightning" head space of knowing Lightning would win more "Cups' and make SCF appearances after appearance, If the Lightning could ever get 1st mental block of 1st "Cup" done with. During that Bud-light: truth srum did it;s thing, Kucherov showed us all: he is very aware of mental part of game, what that can do to any team/players, and what happens if team/players overcome that or doesn't.

Florida is to great of a team, and legit "Cup" contenders, to have Kucherov playing this way and win. Lightning have/are only going as far as Kucherov carries them. Florida notched up even more pressure with great D and goalie play this series (Last couple years too) This helped neutralize an already messed up Kucherov. Doubt Lightning comeback from 0-3 against this version of Florida, but if Kuch could get that mental block corrected, who knows what could happen? Could be similar to how Lightning's finally got that 1st 'Cup" mental-block that had ahold of them. After 1st "Cup", Lightning were on-the-way to attempting 3-peating during SCF's 3 yrs straight., Kucherov could go off the same way, he has it in him and rest of Lightning would feed of this like they always do. Lightning have been in last 2 games, and even could've won them. That's with Kucherov playing terrible as one could have nightmares about. So who knows? Dang, what am I thinking? It's nice to dream though..... 😛
Phew…I guess I’ll watch this post on Netflix. If it’s hockey related…

Reactions: HolyHagelin

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
This is a sick essay, but I’m pretty sure it’s just we are playing him harder. Barkov, Forsling, Ekblad, Tkachuk, Reino they know who to focus
While I think Florida has got "Cup" caliber defensive grouping and same with Bob's goal-tending. And Florida has played Kuch tight during many stretches. But what bothers me with all that: is Kucherov has played & done well against "Cup" caliber D's & Goal-tending during playoffs games, on huge stages, and with defenders draped on him. So when I saw someone pointing out Kuch's last Art Ross playoff series woes (Kudos to whoever put 2+2 together). Kuch's past behavior with media attention, and how he's handled individual attention, screamed out at me.

That's when I considered Kuch's past issues as a possibility, to why he was missing open-marks passes so badly sometimes, not threading needles even wearing Panthers D, etc. Believe both Florida's great D/Goalie play and Kuch's issues could be both be at play. But speculation is just that, speculation, and Kucherov has failed to make play this series, no matter why, what, or who. Still enjoy analyzing, no matter results.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Lightning showed little grit tonight, and even answered push by Panthers after Florida woke-up during 2nd >>> We'll see if Lightning not taking advantage of 3rd games ESPN/NHL gifts, then not sinking those, being outdone during 3rd periods 3 of 4 games, and Bobrovsky'd most of series. Will haunt Lightning dreams during off-season, or not, next game. Tonight is start to preventing that, and if there was "Core" who could pull off 0-3 comeback, could see this "Core" doing it. Shame, they're attempting this against this version of Panthers though......:DD

On to game 5, will take same effort from Lightning rest of way. It's one game at a time and if Lightning could get some secondary or D scoring a few goals, that'd help their cause.

Last edited:

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I know this series is over because of how Tampa fans are talking about their past Cups and not their comeback chances. Vinny V appreciates the extra revenue game 5 will bring.

Reactions: Laus723

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I know this series is over because of how Tampa fans are talking about their past Cups and not their comeback chances. Vinny V appreciates the extra revenue game 5 will bring.
Good thing the series isn't determined by post on a hockey forum.

If Tampa wins game 5 look out.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
1714264369068.png

Lightning went from 2% chance of coming back to 10% chance, they are 5x more likely of coming back than they were 4 hours ago. We've got Florida right where we want them

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Think that has more to do with..... Logic
  • 198 times NHL teams have been down 0-3 during NHL playoffs.
  • 9 teams forced a game 7.
  • 4 teams have comeback to win after down 0-3
  • 2% have done it. I wouldn't bet house with those odds, or $2.00...
Sure, there's chance but odds are way against Lightning. Especially against NHL club as good as Florida: they've got all the ingredients to be, and are legit "Cup" contenders. Now if there's a "Core" who could pull-off 0-3 comeback, this Lightning "Core" might be "Core" that can.. They've done things on big stage many times, and mental part of game is 1/2 the battle during these type of situations. Like I mentioned, odds are against them though....

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
9-2 PP advantage and you only managed a split at home.
What does that have to do with dirty plays that deserve hearings? Like wtf are you even on?

Mikkola's spear to Glendennings nuts after the game was over:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/s/7zJPk8xfs7

Classy play.

Here is Montour cross checking a downed Kuch in the back of the head/neck area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/s/FrwDWsjGyn

Both worthy of a hearing. Fine for Mikkola but Montour should get a game for that. But you know the DoPS...they'll probably just send a strongly worded tweet or something.

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
What does that have to do with dirty plays that deserve hearings? Like wtf are you even on?

Mikkola's spear to Glendennings nuts after the game was over:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/s/7zJPk8xfs7

Classy play.

Here is Montour cross checking a downed Kuch in the back of the head/neck area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/s/FrwDWsjGyn

Both worthy of a hearing. Fine for Mikkola but Montour should get a game for that. But you know the DoPS...they'll probably just send a strongly worded tweet or something.
After so many Lightning playoff games since 2015
  • I'd be more shocked, if some teams/players didn't try to hurt Lightning star players.
  • Kucherov, Point, Cernak. Johnson wrist SCF's 2015, and others crucial Lightning players have been purposefully targeted during playoff series. That's cool when legit...
  • Have no issues when star is banged up from legit hit while tough playoff hockey being played. That's Hockey, game is not for weak!!!
  • Myself: love tough/physical playoff hockey, wish refs would swallow whistles more so.
  • Let players decide, only call plenty that effects outcome (Legit scoring chance).
  • Calls 100-200 ft from net, players battling, accidental tangling up falls with no bearing on outcome, soft calls, and other weak call should not decide playoff games.
  • Only obvious calls that prevent scoring chances (Outcome), and dirty hits should be called during playoffs. To many times refs decide outcomes, this is across-the-board in many sports.
Dirty bush-league hits/cross-checks/ plays, like one done to Kucherov here, are not cool. But each their own, and unfortually when things like that are allowed to exist in playoff games. One has to become that or get destoryed by it!!! Lightning over-the-years have had to jump in this mud-pit many times over. Shame Lightning didn't win game 3, this series would be crazy best of 3 right now. Lightning have huge odds to overcome now, and more than not, there's that one game within any close series. That seems to happen within first 4 games of playoff series, that cost any given team the series. Lightning have lost that game during SCF trying to 3-peat, had it in last years playoffs -vs- Leafs, and think game 3 was that game this year. We'll see soon enough, if Lightning can pullofff insane odds of 0-3 comeback. One down, three to go, and trying to hurt Kuch so late, tells us there's doubt in the back of someones mind(s).

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
After so many Lightning playoff games since 2015
  • I'd be more shocked, if some teams/players didn't try to hurt Lightning star players.
  • Kucherov, Point, Cernak. Johnson wrist SCF's 2015, and others crucial Lightning players have been purposefully targeted during playoff series. That's cool when legit...
  • Have no issues when star is banged up from legit hit while tough playoff hockey being played. That's Hockey, game is not for weak!!!
  • Myself: love tough/physical playoff hockey, wish refs would swallow whistles more so.
  • Let players decide, only call plenty that effects outcome (Legit scoring chance).
  • Calls 100-200 ft from net, players battling, accidental tangling up falls with no bearing on outcome, soft calls, and other weak call should not decide playoff games.
  • Only obvious calls that prevent scoring chances (Outcome), and dirty hits should be called during playoffs. To many times refs decide outcomes, this is across-the-board in many sports.
Dirty bush-league hits/cross-checks/ plays, like one done to Kucherov here, are not cool. But each their own, and unfortually when things like that are allowed to exist in playoff games. One has to become that or get destoryed by it!!! Lightning over-the-years have had to jump in this mud-pit many times over. Shame Lightning didn't win game 3, this series would be crazy best of 3 right now. Lightning have huge odds to overcome now, and more than not, there's that one game within any close series. That seems to happen within first 4 games of playoff series, that cost any given team the series. Lightning have lost that game during SCF trying to 3-peat, had it in last years playoffs -vs- Leafs, and think game 3 was that game this year. We'll see soon enough, if Lightning can pullofff insane odds of 0-3 comeback. One down, three to go, and trying to hurt Kuch so late, tells us there's doubt in the back of someones mind(s).
Tried to hurt him? Lol, did you watch Florida's run at all last year? They created chaos in every loss letting teams know they were coming the next game.

Kinda funny to see Tampa fans acting like doucherov is some saint, though. Guy has earned whatever smacks and whacks he gets…as has Tkachuk.

Reactions: Givememoneyback
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad