Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jagr mentioned he had a good relationship with GG at the Stars. Might have some ill will towards him after the bag skate that resulted in the groin injury.

I think he would have said that regardless. The fact he previously played for him, he didn’t have much of a choice to say anything but. It is what it is, I don’t regret the signing.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Am I allowed to post some info I got from a czech republic native in kladno who knows Jagr a bit and got me some signed Jagr stuff? (I can not verify his source or if info is correct)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Am I allowed to post some info I got from a czech republic native in kladno who knows Jagr a bit and got me some signed Jagr stuff? (I can not verify his source or if info is correct)

I would just make sure to state that it’s a rumour.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Don't regret the signing at all, especially not if we make the playoffs. Guy is still worth more than his contract.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett -Brouwer
Glass - Stajan - Lazar

That’s what we were goin into this year with (give or take). It’s pretty clear that this lineup would struggle to score even more than the current team.

If a player like Jagr is sitting there without a contract just before the season starts and you’re desperate for more scoring, you scoop him up on a 1 x 1 all day and hope he can get himself in shape.

At the end of the day, we got to see a living legend put on the flaming C. The guy clearly had a positive impact on a couple young guys. I also don’t think his play was bad at all until he was put with two other slugs on the 4th line.

Long story short, there should be no regrets of this deal amongst fans.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Best of luck Jagr.
You need a certain type of centre/team to be effective, and Calgary wasn't that team. I hope another team grabs him, but I think his career is likely over.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
A shame that he's on his way out. I still think he was a good bottom sixer, great even when he was playing with Bennett, but we need points more than we need puck protection and zone time and the Stockton kids are simply getting it done better than Jagr has.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Whole reason he was brought in is because none of our guys in training camp really impressed. I still think he did a respectable job before his groin injury. Wish he could've broken the record as a Flame. That would've been cool to see.

Reactions: Dack

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd have signed him to that deal even if it was just to be a scratch the entire time. Gotta imagine over the last 3-4 months that some of the young guys on this team benefited from having him around.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Jagr didn't play horribly. He needed to be a 10 goals/20 points/65 games. For 45, his stats fell short and didn't make sense keeping around when you can get at least what he gave and more with numerous younger players.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
3. These things take a little bit of time (remember Vadim Shipachyov) so it might take a few days to get clarity, but Jaromir Jagr’s NHL time is coming to an end. On one hand, it’s sad to see, but I think Jagr’s earned the right to be seen in a more positive light. You can look and say, “Ugh, this is tough to watch.” I prefer to look at it as, “What an incredible accomplishment that he got an NHL contract at age 45 — even if it didn’t work.”

Agent Petr Svoboda has permission to talk to other teams, but I’m not hearing much interest. The knee injury is problematic; teams either in or fighting for the playoffs will need the roster spot and cap room. Anyone out isn’t going to want to pay potential bonuses. Chris Johnston reported the Olympics don’t appear to be an option, so it’s going to come down to whether or not he wants to go back overseas. There is word of interest in Germany. I wouldn’t put it past him to rest the remainder of the season and try again somewhere in 2018-19.
Friedman

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree with Friedman. It is incredible. What's with these people saying he was horrible? He looked good. It's Jagr aged 45, on the Flames. It's great.

Glory days?

Don't typical 45-50 year olds whine about how they used to have washboard abs and getting the hot chicks? A jealousy of sorts must occur when Jagr is 45 and still has washboard abs and still gets the chicks. I agree, Jagr has been amazing. Who doesn't look bad when they're injured? No one is saying similar things about Versteeg, and they'll likely make excuses for a young guy who is coming back from injury.

And is it bad form to gloat about the fact Calgary is the only Canadian team that the living legend Jagr has played for?

Reactions: Pomee

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wanted Jagr to be good, but the truth was he was good at a very select part of the game, and was entirely unhelpful in every other facet. I think it was worthwhile to have him as a mentor, but no, I don't think that he helps the team more than his replacement.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wanted Jagr to be good, but the truth was he was good at a very select part of the game, and was entirely unhelpful in every other facet. I think it was worthwhile to have him as a mentor, but no, I don't think that he helps the team more than his replacement.

I was reading a Czech article mentioning that Jagr's knee or something had been a problem all season.

EDIT: I can't find the reference. Please take above with grain of salt in case I misremembered something.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly, if it's injury related (and no other team is interested) shut him down until he's 100% and keep him around during practice as a mentor (player/coach?)

Then if he's ready put him in the lineup sporadically, would be nice depth for ploffs.

Prekladač Google

Jágra in this season is suffering from injuries in the lower part of the body (talks about troubles with the groin) for a long time and constantly returning.So far he has only played 22 games in which he scored one goal and recorded the other six.

I believe it was this translated Czech article. But it says groin, not knee. I probably misremembered or mixed up two different articles in my head.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, if it's injury related (and no other team is interested) shut him down until he's 100% and keep him around during practice as a mentor (player/coach?)

Then if he's ready put him in the lineup sporadically, would be nice depth for ploffs.

I happened to watch Inside Trading yesterday on TSN, and Dreger indicated that that's basically what's going on right now. There's no rush to run him out of town. He is rehabbing his injury in Calgary right now, and wants to just get healthy, then figure out what he's going to do.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Can we do that without using a roster spot on him? Can we waive him every 30 days like we did with Freddie Hamilton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad