GDT: Flames host Hurricanes. 19 Oct. 2017 at 7pm MT on SNF

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The team is struggling to score goals (almost shut out in 3 of 7 games to start the year after only being shutout 4 times last season) and people want to break up our most proven offensive duo. Makes complete sense.
Most proven doesn't always mean that it'll last forever. It's pretty clear they're out of sync right now, and Monahan is good enough to put up points without Gaudreau. GG has to look at breaking them up rather than letting them go through the motions like this. And Bennett, despite his poor play so far this season, has looked good centering Gaudreau, even though there's a small sample size there.

I don't know about you, but I'm growing tired at how disjointed this team looks offensively.

and on an unrelated note: This team needs to wake up on the defensive side of things. Officiating might be more strict now, but we're just playing lazily in our own zone. All I see is little to no structure present, players are always caught out of position and all the garbage stick infractions players are getting called for. And I'm not sure if the coaches or players are to blame (I'm leaning towards the latter)

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I know some people don't put weight into shot metrics that's fine I'm just floating this info out there.

Bartkowski
CF 2
CA 17
CF% 10.5
GA 1
11 mins TOI

Stone
CF 1
CA 15
CF% 6
GA 1

They were horrific last night just because Bartkowski only played 11 minutes doesn't mean he didn't manage to get his head kicked in and be out there for a goal against in that timeframe. People are right to say that the bigger problem is that no one is performing well but that doesn't stop us from looking at the bottom of our roster and wondering how it could be not awful.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I'd challenge you to show me any point during last nights game where Stone and/or Bartkowski were actually double shifted. I hate Gulutzan as much as the next guy, but that's a ridiculous claim. The only guy that gets double shifted is Johnny.
I may have Mistyped, what I was saying is that instead of playing the 3D pairing, I'd like to see GG play Brodie/Gio/Hamilton in their place in the last 10 minutes. So double shift 2 of the top 3 d-men.
Sorry about that

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
22552806_1687827361248393_5182806878318627531_n.jpg

Versteeg's helmet after taking that shot from Skinner.

Reactions: TychoFan and Dack

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bartkowski isn't the sole reason we're losing but you want your best players out there and he hasn't been up to snuff. Time for Kulak to get a game or two

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
All of Stajan, Brouwer, and Glass have averaged less than 10 minutes a night before PK time. If you want those guys to play less, advocate for cutting down on penalties, because that's the reason why you guys are all bent out of shape.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Sloppy, not entertaining game.

Flames lacked finish and our D is sloppy. I worry that GG continues to not be able to adjust his system when the team hits a wall.

It's concerning that this is the 3rd weak game in a row. Vancouver would've been a loss if they we're a solid team.

Bennett needs to go if they refuse to put him on the wing. He brings nothing positive to this team.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Like who? And if you say softer than butter Kulak who is just as bad defensively, I will vomit.
Ok drama queen.

Shaking up a floundering 3rd pairing isn't a bad thing. Sure, bring in Kulak who needs to play at some point before he gets fat off popcorn, see what happens. Bring up Jankowski and see if an injection of skill can change the dynamic of our bottom 6.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I expected a result like this after so many days off. I'd like to see our record after 4 or 5 days off, because this felt normal almost.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Geez, some people might think like we're 1-4-0 to start the season or something based on some of the comments in here...

Let's not forget we're still learning a new system (again, thanks Smith!) and line mate tendencies etc. (Chemistry).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Geez, some people might think like we're 1-4-0 to start the season or something based on some of the comments in here...

Let's not forget we're still learning a new system (again, thanks Smith!) and line mate tendencies etc. (Chemistry).

We could easily have been given our play so far. The Jets game was a bit of an anomaly, and it's hard to say how much that was us and how much that was the Jets. Outside of that, we've won three games that realistically weren't overly deserved. Smith got shelled against a depleted Anaheim team, and was the reason the Flames won. They started well against the Kings, but then the Kings took over, the Flames couldn't keep up, and yet somehow Tkachuk scored a tying goal completely against the run of play. And we beat Vancouver in another game where we didn't play well.

Yeah, it's nice to be up 4-3, but if you're not playing as well as your record shows, you aren't going to sustain that record.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
We could easily have been given our play so far. The Jets game was a bit of an anomaly, and it's hard to say how much that was us and how much that was the Jets. Outside of that, we've won three games that realistically weren't overly deserved. Smith got shelled against a depleted Anaheim team, and was the reason the Flames won. They started well against the Kings, but then the Kings took over, the Flames couldn't keep up, and yet somehow Tkachuk scored a tying goal completely against the run of play. And we beat Vancouver in another game where we didn't play well.

Yeah, it's nice to be up 4-3, but if you're not playing as well as your record shows, you aren't going to sustain that record.
Exactly, better to sort out the shortcomings without the pressure from the fans and media during a losing streak.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Agreed. So do we grow into that record? Or start earning those losses? Looking at the goal diff for the west is odd. We're not the only group as a minus and I agree that our standings isn't exactly indicative of how we have been visually.

IMO this off season, there were so many question marks that I decided to not make comments until game 10. I still stand by that comment. I get there are concerns, but some of the concerns I'm seeing IMO are way overboard. This isn't sorting out short comings, it's literally a significant group wanting to shake up and replace a significant portion of the roster.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Agreed. So do we grow into that record? Or start earning those losses? Looking at the goal diff for the west is odd. We're not the only group as a minus and I agree that our standings isn't exactly indicative of how we have been visually.

IMO this off season, there were so many question marks that I decided to not make comments until game 10. I still stand by that comment. I get there are concerns, but some of the concerns I'm seeing IMO are way overboard. This isn't sorting out short comings, it's literally a significant group wanting to shake up and replace a significant portion of the roster.

I don't think overly significant changes are being suggested. Calling up one player and scratching a fourth-liner isn't a major move. Trying a player in a different position to see what happens isn't a major move. It could be a beneficial one, though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think overly significant changes are being suggested. Calling up one player and scratching a fourth-liner isn't a major move. Trying a player in a different position to see what happens isn't a major move. It could be a beneficial one, though.

Sure. Except:
- We have Gully running lines through a blender
- Posters are asking to replace/bench 5+ players (Stajan, Brouwer, Bennett, Glass, F Hamilton) vs 2-3 whipping boys in previous seasons. And that's not talking of the others who have been raked over the coals and technically started to settle.
- No mention of the system tweak 2.0 for Smith and system 1.0 for Lack has not been seen thus far.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sure. Except:
- We have Gully running lines through a blender
- Posters are asking to replace/bench 5+ players (Stajan, Brouwer, Bennett, Glass, F Hamilton) vs 2-3 whipping boys in previous seasons. And that's not talking of the others who have been raked over the coals and technically started to settle.
- No mention of the system tweak 2.0 for Smith and system 1.0 for Lack has not been seen thus far.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that 5 guys get scratched. There are just many ideas, and a few interchangeable players not standing out from the crowd right now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think anyone is suggesting that 5 guys get scratched. There are just many ideas, and a few interchangeable players not standing out from the crowd right now.

I respect your opinion Anglesmith and you're often level headed and optimistic, but agree to disagree?

I haven't even mentioned Lazar, Ferland, Freddie over Hathaway as names and there's more to nit pick.

This is a little bit more than a few posters with a different name being interchangeable nominations IMO. I don't recall this much chagrin even in losing streaks of prior years. I don't fully get it. Is the media getting to us? The "All in" signals from the org? What I watched last night was something I think can be improved upon yes, but something I have lots of confidence the roster as of now can grow into. I get vibes often from different posters who honestly make me feel they have nearly no confidence of 1/3 of that roster being part of an evolving cohesive unit. No confidence at all.

I keep mentioning I want to comment regarding the future at game 10, but if I had a scapegoat now, it's Glass out, Janko in and Gully simplify your darn system.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He's not though - aside from guys getting caught on a different line on a longer shift and double shifting to cover for Versteeg, the lines stayed pretty static last night.

I really do hope that's evidence that the lines are starting to settle (though I felt they would settle eventually). My issue isn't that it's being sent through a blender. It's ultimately an "excuse" I'm offering to the roster in terms of why the lines aren't clicking. Again, game 10 for me for eval, but there's lots of good to work with IMO. I'm fine with Gully experimenting now rather than late season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gully simplify your darn system.
I'd argue in fact that his system may be too simple at this point in time, in that it's too predictable. Players stop moving their feet when their set play isn't viable and our breakouts and transition game are hurting as a result. Both the players and the coaching is to blame I guess, but this is fixable

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Doesn't really matter but I think, even with referees calling almost everything, that Bennett penalty was really a borderline call.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I respect your opinion Anglesmith and you're often level headed and optimistic, but agree to disagree?

But I don't agree that we are disagreeing. It seems like we have almost identical reads on the team right now. Only place I think you're wrong is your assessment of the fanbase. It's been building, given every new game, everyone wants to see improvement, and that hasn't necessarily been seen, so people start to suggest changes. Show me where these posts are where people want 5 guys replaced!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad