GDT: Flames host Hurricanes. 19 Oct. 2017 at 7pm MT on SNF

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Why he so stubbornly resists Monahan-Versteeg and Gaudreau-Bennett dumbfounds me - considering both those pairs have shown more chemistry than the current pairs.
Branching off this, Monahan needs more responsibility in the offensive zone. His plan of attack right now is to pass it to Gaudreau and be ready to fire any loose puck in the slot home. And he's shown that he's better and more intelligent than that. It honestly feels like we're not using him to his potential.

Our first line has been disastrous at even strength (with our supposed #1C having been anonymous the whole time), which just cannot happen in a league with this parity. The Johnny-Mony connection needs to be nixed now for the better of this team

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
This is a poorly built team, slow AF. Top 6 fairly uncreative and bottom 6 with zero energy. D hugely overrated. Imagine if they had resigned Smelliott. Brutal.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Branching off this, Monahan needs more responsibility in the offensive zone. His plan of attack right now is to pass it to Gaudreau and be ready to fire any loose puck in the slot home. And he's shown that he's better and more intelligent than that. It honestly feels like we're not using him to his potential.

Our first line has been disastrous at even strength (with our supposed #1C having been anonymous the whole time), which just cannot happen in a league with this parity. The Johnny-Mony connection needs to be nixed now for the better of this team

This is going to get me to take that heat I usually take but I think the rationale is as follows:

- Monahan is not very good at transitioning the puck, despite playing center.
- Gaudreau is one of the best end-to-end transition players in the NHL, despite playing wing
- Without Gaudreau, Gulutzan is worried that Monahan will spend too much time hemmed in, as history has shown except for that brief period where Paul Byron was on Monahan's wing
- Flames aren't creative enough to try Monahan on the wing, so they stick to what's comfortable(Johnny/Monny), instead of what the team as a whole needs (Gaudreau-Bennett-X and X-Jankowski-Monahan)

Reactions: lightstorm

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Another poor effort that was masked by Smith. Coaching needs to burn the skaters to the ground. At this point Lack needs to start getting into some games. The skaters need to get things figured out and stop taking stupid penalties.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Thank god monahan is so clutch in the slot when johnny finds him with his pass, otherwise he would have nothing against fast teams like Carolina. He creates zilch on his own and simply isnt good enough to be 1C, offensively or defensively.

As for Bennett, move him to wing or fire him into the sun. Along with GG.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Thank god monahan is so clutch in the slot when johnny finds him with his pass, otherwise he would have nothing against fast teams like Carolina. He creates zilch on his own and simply isnt good enough to be 1C, offensively or defensively.

As for Bennett, move him to wing or fire him into the sun. Along with GG.

What you are saying is actually saying we have no #1 center:( f*** I want McDavid or Matthews.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Sounds like it was a real barn-burner. Flames need to stop relying on Smith to bail them out of games. Very reminiscent of late 2000s Flames relying on Kipper to keep them in contention.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the solutions to our problems all revolve around what the players are doing on the ice, not who they are. I don't think the team has a composition issue. I just think a lot of players are playing extremely stupid hockey right now. Puck support and making simple plays isn't something that needs to be acquired in trade. It's something that can be coached. If the team doesn't improve by Christmas in this regard, it will really hurt my opinion of Gulutzan. He had me won over in the second half last year, not to mention in the playoffs where the team played probably the best hockey they have in years. But now is his time to do his job.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I feel Monahan gets shit on a ton from flames fans because he is the least flashy player out there, yet he still makes plays believe it or not.

I completely disagree with most people's opinions on him (because they're all negative), because when he is away from Gaudreau he plays a lot better and carries the play more. He is very underrated in play making abilities but rarely has the puck for more than 2 seconds because he let's Gaudreau do everything.

Monahan's arguable best game was last year when Johnny was hurt and Sean put up 2G and 2A (I think it was the rangers game).

And the notion that Monahan can't generate offense is laughable. 60 points in 3 consecutive seasons and he is somehow a black hole offensively.

Where was Gaudreau last playoffs when Mony put up 4 goals while Gaudreau was too scared to even skate on the ice. Monahan was one of the top players in that series whereas Gaudreau was the 2nd worst.

Reactions: TychoFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Rather than edit I'll just add this because I've seen it brought up. People are complaint a ton about Bennett, Monahan, Hamilton, etc. Then go on to say, "Tanner Glass has been good for us" and "Bartkowski has been a serviceable 6th dman".

This is such a falacy. Tanner Glass is trash and should not be in the NHL, he brings nothing to the table other than wasting a roster space. Somehow the 4th line gets all these great opportunities in the offensive zone and they haven't scored 1 goal. They've arguably had more decent scoring chances than any other line on our team somehow and have no goals. They are f***ing trash donkeys. And yet continue to get way too much ice time and show nothing for it. And while they're awfulness annoys me, GG containing to give them inflated minutes it completely asinine.

And Bartkowski has not been serviceable. He is complete trash out there and Stone has been just as useless. Bartkowski thinks playing defense is cross checking guys in his own zone and never actually going for the puck. It drives me insane watching this guy play. He is a complete moron.

People can rag on our young guys all they want, but these so called veterans are all a joke out there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I feel Monahan gets **** on a ton from flames fans because he is the least flashy player out there, yet he still makes plays believe it or not.

I completely disagree with most people's opinions on him (because they're all negative), because when he is away from Gaudreau he plays a lot better and carries the play more. He is very underrated in play making abilities but rarely has the puck for more than 2 seconds because he let's Gaudreau do everything.

Monahan's arguable best game was last year when Johnny was hurt and Sean put up 2G and 2A (I think it was the rangers game).

That's one of the reasons it makes so much sense to separate them - allow Monahan to have his own line and play at his own pace so he's driving the play instead of chasing it.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
As much as I love Mony & Johnny together, it's time to split them up.
IMO the best 40 mins of hockey we've played so far was the 2nd & 3rd in the Jets game, we should go back to those lines with the inclusion of Jagr and hopefully Gully will try it for more than half of a game before going back to the same old lines that he always goes to.
Gaudreau-Bennett-Lazar
Vertseeg-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Brouwer
I'd give these lines at least a full game if **** still seems off, I'd move Bennett to the wing and call up Janko

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
And Bartkowski has not been serviceable. He is complete trash out there and Stone has been just as useless. Bartkowski thinks playing defense is cross checking guys in his own zone and never actually going for the puck. It drives me insane watching this guy play. He is a complete moron.

People can rag on our young guys all they want, but these so called veterans are all a joke out there.

It's sad that we have nobody in the system that can steal the job from Bart and Glass :mad:

It's pathetic. Coaching, scouting problems from top to bottom.

Top line is not clicking
Back line is struggling
Bennett line is trash
and we have the most expensive 4th line in the NHL....

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
We have so many slow skaters on this team. Guys like Jooris really shaped our identity of fast forechecking. Now this team looks so slow and our fast players are forced to slow down so their line mates can catch up.

Not to mention I hate how the D only knows the throw the puck around the boards. Carolina ate that up all game.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As much as people want to split up Monahan and Gaudreau, I think the bigger "sacred cow" that we should break up is the 3M line. Keep Backlund and Frolik together but time to move Tkachuk to either Bennett or Monahan's wing. Backlund/Frolik have shown they can work well with different players and Tkachuk has shown he has very good offensive skills that should match well with either Bennett or Monahan.

So I would say either:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg

or

Tkachuk-Monahan-Jagr
Gaudreau-Bennett-Lazar

Reactions: DomBarr

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
One big issue I see is that the Monahan line seems to be chained to the Stone-Bartkowski pairing. Not optimal, to put it nicely.

Man, Jagr is still so good. Almost every time he's even near the puck in the offensive zone something good comes out of it. The problem of course is him getting there but still he's a net positive by a good margin and was the best and most dangerous forward last night. That line will do some damage especially if they start getting better support from the backend that help them in transition/through the neutral zone and in the offensive zone.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
One big issue I see is that the Monahan line seems to be chained to the Stone-Bartkowski pairing. Not optimal, to put it nicely.

Man, Jagr is still so good. Almost every time he's even near the puck in the offensive zone something good comes out of it. The problem of course is him getting there but still he's a net positive by a good margin and was the best and most dangerous forward last night. That line will do some damage especially if they start getting better support from the backend that help them in transition/through the neutral zone and in the offensive zone.
Partially adding on to this, I have no f***ing clue why GG plays the 3D so much when we are trailing in the 3rd period. I don't want to see stone and Bart out there with anyone, period. Double shift two of Brodie, Hamilton and Gio, not Bart and Stone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the way people bitch and cry about how much Bart plays, you'd think he plays 20+ minutes a night

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Partially adding on to this, I have no ****ing clue why GG plays the 3D so much when we are trailing in the 3rd period. I don't want to see stone and Bart out there with anyone, period. Double shift two of Brodie, Hamilton and Gio, not Bart and Stone.
I'd challenge you to show me any point during last nights game where Stone and/or Bartkowski were actually double shifted. I hate Gulutzan as much as the next guy, but that's a ridiculous claim. The only guy that gets double shifted is Johnny.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007

Although one game, and if he continues to improve and get into better game shape he will be playing more minutes, which means he might not be skating as well all game long given his age, Jagr was surprisingly skating really well. He didn't look gassed at all, was creating plays off the transition himself (carrying the puck up ice himself) and was even backchecking well. He also showed great speed on that one play when Gaudreau was skating up ice.

If he continues to play this way, I don't see why he can't form a dynamic line with Gaudreau. Jagr's goals will start to come, and when they do, he's going to open up the ice that much more for Monahan and Gaudreau.

Jagr, folks is not going to be that defensive liability or the one slowing down his line. Last year's version of Jagr was a fluke. The one you saw last night was the version of Jagr from Florida in 2015-16 when he was 7th in Hart voting.

He did look quicker (thanks to trimming down) on his skates last night than he has in a long time. He still is a possession beast though which clearly he hasn"t lost due to slimming diwn. I think he will turn into Calgary's MVP as the season wears on. Gaudreau might outscore him, but Jagr will be a catalyst, mark my words. Hopefully he will finally get back to being a great playoff player this year.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The team is struggling to score goals (almost shut out in 3 of 7 games to start the year after only being shutout 4 times last season) and people want to break up our most proven offensive duo. Makes complete sense.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
How on earth anyone (even OKG) could still argue that Bennett is a better centre than Monahan is absolutely stunning to me. Bennett has been trash this season, picked up right where he left last regular season off. He is the one that should be stapled to a wing, because he looks completely lost out there at centre. He is not smart enough, he needs the simplicity of a centre's game.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr was actually a bright spot last night IMO. They had some great chances. Leave that one alone.
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik -- I want to see this ASAP, Bennett needs to return to a situation (the only one really) where he succeeded in this league. Plus, Backlund will be able to correct for his obvious deficiencies
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland -- I hope this will be my new favourite line, but can someone remind ferland why we liked him? He seems to have forgotten.
Lazar- Familton- versteeg/hathaway -- I would really prefer if brouwer, stajan, and glass never played for us again but fat f***ing chance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The team is struggling to score goals (almost shut out in 3 of 7 games to start the year after only being shutout 4 times last season) and people want to break up our most proven offensive duo. Makes complete sense.

I'm okay with it. The Flames' best hockey was in the second half of the Jets game when they were split up. It's not like it automatically will make things worse. I think if the team is playing well, having them together is great. But it's worked in the past to split them up, so I don't think GG should be afraid of that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bart plays 12 minutes a night. Glass plays 8 plus some PK time. Let's not pretend like they are getting all that much ice-time :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad