GDT: Flames host Hurricanes. 19 Oct. 2017 at 7pm MT on SNF

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Rest of the tweets wouldn't embed, so 2nd post for the convenience of reading. Check last page for first few tweets

Edit: Fixed it. Cant have more than 10 tweets in a post. AS also has the same tweets in the post below. But yeah more on the previous page

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano and Kahvi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That last tweet with the answer to Millions' question gives me some hope that GG will help us get our shit together before we dig ourselves into another big hole

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That last tweet with the answer to Millions' question gives me some hope that GG will help us get our **** together before we dig ourselves into another big hole

Have to think, the Flames the way they played later in the season last year with Smith in net would have been massive pains to anyone... they just aren’t playing right and I’m happy Gully’s addressing it. He’s a good coach and had a strong possession system; the guys aren’t buying in.

Still think they need one more piece, whether that be external (trade) or internal (Bennett waking up or Janko coming up).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On Tkachuk:

This guy's our future captain. I have no doubt about it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gulutzan is certainly saying all the right things. But at the end of the day, identifying the problem is only half the job. Fixing it is what he's paid to do. Hopefully this is a wake-up call to the players like he expects it to be.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
But I don't agree that we are disagreeing. It seems like we have almost identical reads on the team right now. Only place I think you're wrong is your assessment of the fanbase. It's been building, given every new game, everyone wants to see improvement, and that hasn't necessarily been seen, so people start to suggest changes. Show me where these posts are where people want 5 guys replaced!

But the fanbase is exactly the part I thought we disagreed on. Not so much the other stuff regarding reads on the team.

As for the posts (I don't think I implied any single post wanted all 5 out in the same post) regarding turf/bench and demote:
- Flaminghomer easily has some fun things to say regarding Stajan, Brouwer, Glass and Bennett. He is not alone on a few of those players.
- Stajan and Brouwer often comes out specifically from different fans regarding the overpaid vets to be turfed. Glass is there without the overpaid part, Bartkowski too.
- A bit of upset posters regarding Freddie being up over Hathaway, comments regarding whether Freddie deserves to be up due to Dougie.

Misc
- The Ferland being ass is fair. No asking for him to be demoted or removed though.
- Lazar, see above, but more borderline as I've recalled reading a few comments about healthy scratching him. I excluded him from the 5.
- Bennett benching isn't including the 5. but there definitely is a contingent who have a trade bennett opinon.

Perhaps to clarify I honestly have not seen our fanbase so divided and upset at so many individuals on our roster in a long time. We have 5 legitimate whipping boys and a solid group of 3-4 more that join into the rotation on occasion.

The biggest part IMO that I think we disagree on, but perhaps worth just silencing on for a few games is that the fan base is a bit beyond just suggesting changes. It's nearing NHL 18 game play levels. Even in years with obvious whipping boys, we haven't had as many as this season.

EDIT: Is it just me or is Opera browser suffering serious lag on the HF boards?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ok drama queen.

Shaking up a floundering 3rd pairing isn't a bad thing. Sure, bring in Kulak who needs to play at some point before he gets fat off popcorn, see what happens. Bring up Jankowski and see if an injection of skill can change the dynamic of our bottom 6.
"Floundering", talk about being a drama queen. Bartkowski has been on the ice for a grand total of 4 goals against.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But the fanbase is exactly the part I thought we disagreed on. Not so much the other stuff regarding reads on the team.

As for the posts (I don't think I implied any single post wanted all 5 out in the same post) regarding turf/bench and demote:
- Flaminghomer easily has some fun things to say regarding Stajan, Brouwer, Glass and Bennett. He is not alone on a few of those players.
- Stajan and Brouwer often comes out specifically from different fans regarding the overpaid vets to be turfed. Glass is there without the overpaid part, Bartkowski too.
- A bit of upset posters regarding Freddie being up over Hathaway, comments regarding whether Freddie deserves to be up due to Dougie.

Misc
- The Ferland being ass is fair. No asking for him to be demoted or removed though.
- Lazar, see above, but more borderline as I've recalled reading a few comments about healthy scratching him. I excluded him from the 5.
- Bennett benching isn't including the 5. but there definitely is a contingent who have a trade bennett opinon.

Perhaps to clarify I honestly have not seen our fanbase so divided and upset at so many individuals on our roster in a long time. We have 5 legitimate whipping boys and a solid group of 3-4 more that join into the rotation on occasion.
I don't think the term "whipping boys" applies when the team legitimately needs more from most of the players on the roster.

I actually think that the fanbase is being more honest this year than last year when it comes to evaluating players. There shouldn't really be one whipping boy. That's just fans being lazy and piling their hate on one player when they are only a small part of a greater problem.

Anyway, the posters wanting to turf vets are posters who didn't want them in the first place, or have wanted them gone since last year. This isn't reactionary at all.

Reactions: Cyrano

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flames are just not generating enough speed through the neutral zone. Way too easy to collapse and backcheck at the blue line when the transition game has no urgency. Attacking as a 5 man unit is a fine idea when the puck support is there but unless you can get up the ice in a hurry after a turnover you're not really making the opponent chase you.

Don't know why they are so intent on Bennett being a full time C at this stage in his career. It's starting to look like a square peg in a round hole to me. Put him on the wing for now and let him worry about producing there. Also: call up Jankowski and waive Hamilton.

Reactions: Cyrano and Sk8M8

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I actually think that the fanbase is being more honest this year than last year when it comes to evaluating players.

Whether that honesty is due to new expectations or whatnot. I don't know. I just know our fan base is different.

Maybe I just thought losing players like Wideman, Engelland, Smid etc. off the roster would be victory enough, but I guess not. Which is fine. I just perhaps find it more shocking and excessive than most others. The only 2 guys I want out are Glass and Bartkowski. But even that's not a deal breaker for me.

I'll also agree to the idea that the contingent has always been there. Barts, Stajan and Brouwer have been discussed to death since last seasons and before.

Though I still believe if so many names are being thrown into the mix, I blame the coach or management for the issues. However, I've also seen enough where I think it's a problem that time will solve, instead of replacing roster players or the coach.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Whether that honesty is due to new expectations or whatnot. I don't know. I just know our fan base is different.

Maybe I just thought losing players like Wideman, Engelland, Smid etc. off the roster would be victory enough, but I guess not. Which is fine. I just perhaps find it more shocking and excessive than most others. The only 2 guys I want out are Glass and Bartkowski. But even that's not a deal breaker for me.

I'll also agree to the idea that the contingent has always been there. Barts, Stajan and Brouwer have been discussed to death since last seasons and before.

Though I still believe if so many names are being thrown into the mix, I blame the coach or management for the issues. However, I've also seen enough where I think it's a problem that time will solve, instead of replacing roster players or the coach.

It's all fine to blame the coach or the GM, but part of blaming them is thinking there are things they could be doing differently, part of which is player personnel decisions. Things like benching Bennett (which Gulutzan of course has mentioned today) aren't life-altering suggestions, they're just ways that a coach can try to impact what's going on on the ice. Same with calling up a player or putting one on waivers regarding the GM.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I won't be watching or attending any games until Jankowski is up and playing with the team. Not that anyone cares. But enough's enough already. Sam might be able to play centre in the future but he needs to revive some of his confidence and simplify his game on the wing.

#FreeJanko

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
"Floundering", talk about being a drama queen. Bartkowski has been on the ice for a grand total of 4 goals against.
Thanks to Smith. This entire team has been on for far fewer goals than they deserve. That number isn't indicative of how many chances they've allowed. I'm not the advanced stats expert, but I'm sure there are stats that can support that Bart-Stone is our weakest pairing and Bart is the weakest of the two.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks to Smith. This entire team has been on for far fewer goals than they deserve. That number isn't indicative of how many chances they've allowed. I'm not the advanced stats expert, but I'm sure there are stats that can support that Bart-Stone is our weakest pairing and Bart is the weakest of the two.
The chances are happening on every shift, not just the bottom pair. Its like the hole team is struggling to make simple plays. Targetting the guy on the ice the least is just pointless, they are rarely the difference between winning and losing games

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The chances are happening on every shift, not just the bottom pair. Its like the hole team is struggling to make simple plays. Targetting the guy on the ice the least is just pointless, they are rarely the difference between winning and losing games
Well if you think it's pointless to try to improve on any player on the team, then it's just as pointless discussing it with you.

Just glad you're not running the team.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's good that Gulutzan can say all these things everyone wants to hear, but we've seen it all before so it doesn't matter what he says until he actually fixes it.

This goes back into the Iggy years where everyone would just say, "well we need to be better". I take all these quotes with a grain of salt because it happens all the time. I hope Gully can turn it around, but I doubt it (not that we'll suck, but actually fixing the horrific defensive zone coverage and break outs which have been brutal for his entire tenure). Nothing would make me happier than to see him go full Jack Adams and I'll eat crow, but I don't see it.

And I disagree with the team that no one could overtake Bartkowski for a job. Kylington and Andersson both looked better than him the entire pre-season, Andersson especially. However since Andersson shoots right we need Bart in there. Like at this point who gives a f***, Bart and Stone is one of the worst pairings in the league. Ignoring their atrocious corsi which is always laughably terrible, just watching themn play will give you an aneurysm. Never make an outlet pass, can't defend and yet get 10-13 minutes a night and get ice-time in a ton of key situations. People can argue that Monahan is bad defensively but he is often out there with these 2 useless f***s and he is usually the one to actually get the puck out because they're so terrible. You're going to look bad when you have to play defense for 3 people and get caught out of position because you have to cover for the entire team out there.

And as good as Tkachuk is defensively, I thought he was terrible last night. Turned the puck over a ton in his own zone making a lot of no look passes. I'm fairly certain it was just an anomaly last night for him though.

Reactions: Janks and Dack

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well if you think it's pointless to try to improve on any player on the team, then it's just as pointless discussing it with you.

Just glad you're not running the team.
I'm just sick of people targeting guys that are supposed to be the worst guys in the team. I have no issue improving the team, but people like you are doing nothing more than pick at low hanging fruit.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'm just sick of people targeting guys that are supposed to be the worst guys in the team. I have no issue improving the team, but people like you are doing nothing more than pick at low hanging fruit.
You really let these internet strangers get to you hey? It's a freaking discussion board. It's what we're going to talk about. Our top 5 D is set in stone (no pun intended). Bartkowski is the ONLY fruit to pick. Gulutzen should be fired if he scratches anyone before Bartkowski to shake up the roster. You're not going to convince anyone otherwise.

Reactions: JPeeper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad