GDT: Flames host Hurricanes. 19 Oct. 2017 at 7pm MT on SNF

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Having Jagr on that line is going to turn into something special as this season goes on, and those 3 get in sync.

They'll get better as time goes on.
They need to figure out these lines though. There's a major lack of offence out there most nights.

You feel for Smith, who finally gets a 'good' team that lets him get pummelled every night.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't like that for two shifts as we are attempting to comeback Gulutzan had Bartkowski-Stone out with 3M and the Gaudreau line.

I was just gonna say Johnny and Mony haven't been on the same wavelength all season 5v5, but that assist looked accidental
It absolutely was lmao but Monahans One timer is deadly.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's hard for the team to be consistently going when the constant penalties are being taken. It just kills all the momentum we ever get.

With that said, there is no way other teams are playing cleanly enough to be getting 1 freaking penalty a game against us when we take 6 or 7. I don't buy it at all.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Third line needs to play better or some kind of a move needs to happen. There is zero excuse for being outplayed by the 4th line.

I want Kulak to get a game Stone-Bartkowski was awful tonight.

I've been a big Bennett supporter but good god man... He was awesome in the playoffs and in his rookie season looked like a surefire top 6er I don't think it was just the Backlund bump either he looked great centering Gaudreau as well. He's looked like crap this season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This team has been ass playing from behind ever since Hartley left.

Positives: the 1st line (mostly Jagr), Mike Smith
Negatives: Way too many penalties, figure it out. Hate our PK, we must be the only team in the league that still plays such a passive box. No energy whatsoever in the first two periods.

Reactions: Dack

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Really frustrating loss. 93 games in, I'm starting to think Glen Gulutzan is the wrong coach for this group.

Starting?

He's never gonna be the guy to take this team anywhere. Perfectly average/functional but his entire system revolves around elite players doing all the work. He doesn't get anything out of his scrubs.

Reactions: Calculon

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
That was a pathetic effort by the flames, instead of a bag skate the team should be forced to carry Mike Smith around the ice, he's carried the team the rest of the time.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Starting?

He's never gonna be the guy to take this team anywhere. Perfectly average/functional but his entire system revolves around elite players doing all the work. He doesn't get anything out of his scrubs.

It's little things that I see adding up.

- 3M line hasn't really been truly dominant since before the end of last season(when that TSN or was it Sportsnet article came out pointing out how good they are). It might be time to break them up but Gulutzan will be ten games too late on identifying that - teams have scouted that line's strengths and are nipping them at the bud.

- Having our defense support wide for Smith has actually decreased their effectiveness in making those sharp outlets. Only guy benefitting from this is Bartkowski, because he's essentially so terrible otherwise. In fact Bartkowski shouldn't even be in the game

- Stajan-Brouwer. Two games, two goals. They just stand around waiting to get scored on on the PK. There is no way we don't have better penalty killers than these two. Bennett-Jankowski should be PK2, Stajan-Hathaway PK3, and Mangiapane-Lazar PK4 - make it work Gulutzan.

- Third line. I see a lot of struggle there at every position. From Versteeg to Bennett to the revolving door at RW - Gulutzan has made no real attempt to fix that line. Versteeg and Bennett haven't really had chemistry in over a calendar year together outside of a handful of playoff games - it's time to pull the plug on that pairing. Ferland might be able to fix it eventually, but right now he looks like a guy just playing through groin problems. Why he so stubbornly resists Monahan-Versteeg and Gaudreau-Bennett dumbfounds me - considering both those pairs have shown more chemistry than the current pairs.

- team speed as a whole. I remember Dave Cameron being asked what he "changed" about the senators when they went on that huge run a few years back after the firing of Paul MacLean. He said not much... just more skating in practice. It might really be as simple as that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Is it time to sit Bennett for a game? He had a couple things he was lucky he didn't get called on earlier in the game.

I would rather try him on the wing for a game or shake up the lines a little more. He had a good thing with Lazar so maybe try him Lazar and Tkachuk.

I am worried that his confidence is getting pretty low so sitting him down could hurt him a lot more. I think we should try to kick start his game first with a change in position/linemates.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Obviously I have made my point many a times, but our entire coaching staff is ass. PP is atrocious, half the time the Flames come out of the gate barely skating, just as terrible defensive coverage as when Hartley was here, bad lines that Gulutzan refuses to change most of the time, terrible zone exit, terrible zone entry, terrible use of the 4th line and 3rd pairing AKA they are used way too much and at stupid ass times.

There's pretty much nothing Gulutzan brings to the table that isn't terrible, he only brings idiocy and terribleness. His "system" is trash, there is no defensive accountability still, they don't break out as a unit, and the offensive zone is so ineffective.

By far Brad Treliving's worst mistake at GM, far worse than signing Brouwer to a boat anchor contract.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Guluztan definitely has some issues but Treliving needs to be called out too.

He like everyone else, is well aware that Guluztan is married to his fringe fourth liners and bottom pairing defenceman. So it's kind of on him too when Glass-Stajan-Brouwer and Bartkowski are all on the ice at the same time, game after game. Stone, whatever he is, can't compensate for that much marginal talent.

Which is why it's inexcusable that Jankowski isn't on the roster. And that's why he, along with Hathaway, should have been staples on the fourth line this year. Then, when Gulutzan does his usual thing and overplays the fourth line, it's of actual benefit to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad