Value of: Flames Fire Sale

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I believe Eichel may be possible but it has to be almost dollar in and dollar out.
Then there is when?

Again it is possible that it could occur this season depending upon how much Buffalo is a pain in the neck for Eichel.

But there would still need to be more coming back or from another trade, Calgary would need a top 6 guy.
Monahan/Gaudreau;
So IF Buffalo agreed that is a little over 12 mil out and 10 mil in.
That should leave enough for a top line player to be added, a 6+mil player at the TDL
Again size, so who is rumored to be available?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tkachuk is worth some amount more than Keller. Hayton is worth some amount more than Bennett. I don’t know what the size of the delta is in either case. Being that I’m the one attempting to trigger the movement, I was accepting that the Hayton-Bennett delta is likely notably larger than the Keller-Tkachuk delta. But I’m not sure it’s by an unacceptable amount.
Hayton is a lot better than Bennett, but the gulf between Tkachuk and Keller is massive.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's what I thought.

I can't see there being any market for Tkachuk being qualified at $9million.
I'm not even sure Calgary will entertain signing him for $9million if he's putting up a pro-rated 55 points.

As far as I would guess, Matt Tkachuk is very likely a UFA after next season, or an unmovable boat anchor contract. Crazy considering he's only 24, and his QO's will bring him to UFA.

Almost seems wise that Calgary get a kings ransom for him NOW. That salary structure is going to be horrendous for what he brings to a flat cap league.

Editing this because I don't need 10 people to give the same answer.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There is no way the Flames will have a 'fire sale'. They brought Coach Sutter in to win, not supervise a re-build.

There is an old management axiom - "Structure follows Strategy".

If the strategy is to play a heavy defensive game with speed, the Flames will acquire or draft those types of players and players that cannot support that strategy will be on the way out.
Sure they could but you are right they are not near a total rebuild. It would definitely be a retooling.
Calgary comes across as a one line team, they got their two stars and then pretty much a step back.
Eichel by himself would not change the fortunes over night.
It would take the Flames 3 years to rebuild if the GM is smart. But it would be harder this draft because of the lack of scouting.

A Gaudreau + for Eichel would have a bigger impact immediately than removing two players for one.
Maybe Monahan in a separate trade with another team? It might not even be necessary but a reduced role for him might help.
Tampa has been trying to flog Johnson off all season, maybe with retention? But then he is petite as well.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A minimum QA for Tkachuk would be $7M X 1.10 (10%) = $7.7M. The team can then negotiate with him. If they feel he isn't worth that amount given the current market they can try and sign him for less or trade him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
And why do the Flames have to give out a $9million qualifying offer? The minimum qualifying offer for
Tkachuk is his current salary of $7 million.
Because his contract is structured to pay him 9 million his last year. This is the same type of contract that Boeser was given.
At the time they were good deals for both but with the flat cap they become anchors in qualifying offers.
7 mil cap hit but 9 mil in salary.

Reactions: Nanuuk

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Calgary could always reach out and rob Vancouver again.
Virtanen is supposed to be available and with Benning offering two bags of pucks and 6th round draft pick could get it done.
UNLESS your team needs additional cap space then just offer up the desired high paid contract for a late pick and he will happily accommodate, he did for Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa and Vegas to help them get under the cap, out of a bad contracts or sign superior players and all it cost the Canucks so far has been two first round picks, 2 2nd rnd picks, 2 - 3rds and a couple of prospects. One of the first's was McCann.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Because his contract is structured to pay him 9 million his last year. This is the same type of contract that Boeser was given.
At the time they were good deals for both but with the flat cap they become anchors in qualifying offers.
7 mil cap hit but 9 mil in salary.

Hmm....that's actually correct. However, the Flames do have the opportunity to sign another deal before then, which I think they will. I don't see any team offering Tkachuk the whole $9 million at his current production.

Reactions: theguardianII

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
And why do the Flames have to give out a $9million qualifying offer? The minimum qualifying offer for
Because Tkachuk did Calgary a solid and signed a 3 year bridge and in return have a structured contract that pays him 9m on his final year. Boeser and Meier also did the same.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

A minimum QA for Tkachuk would be $7M X 1.10 (10%) = $7.7M. The team can then negotiate with him. If they feel he isn't worth that amount given the current market they can try and sign him for less or trade him.

I don't think this is correct. I believe QOs are based off the last year's salary, not AAV. In this case, that would be $9 million. The automatic 10% raise is for only for contracts under a certain amount, so the raise isn't necessary. But Tkachuk could certainly just accept the one-year $9 mil offer.

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
Does anyone else think Tkachuk might be the problem in that locker room? I might be thinking opposite of everyone... but I’d hate to play with that kid. He seems toxic, I’d be shipping him out if i could. Laine Dubios type deal.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think this is correct. I believe QOs are based off the last year's salary, not AAV. In this case, that would be $9 million. The automatic 10% raise is for only for contracts under a certain amount, so the raise isn't necessary. But Tkachuk could certainly just accept the one-year $9 mil offer.
Yes you are right. I just googled it. Thanks.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Does anyone else think Tkachuk might be the problem in that locker room? I might be thinking opposite of everyone... but I’d hate to play with that kid. He seems toxic, I’d be shipping him out if i could. Laine Dubios type deal.
It’s possible. If only we could be a fly on the wall.

I don’t think you can pin down who the main problem is.

For me, love the guy, but it’s Gio. Every time we’ve rallied or had any kind of sustained success, Gio was either injured or not playing up to par. Had a great Norris season, but that’s about it. He’s still a serviceable player, he can get things done. Just can’t be the #1 relied upon D anymore.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Interesting thought there about renegotiating early.
I guess if he felt obligated he could just take less but the NHLPA would fry him if he did.
I wonder if a staggered contract starting at 9 mil and going down would fulfil the QO? Like 9, 7,7,6,4?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It is certainly a possibility. We don't really know where and with who the rifts lie. Only that they are obviously there.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I guess if he felt obligated he could just take less but the NHLPA would fry him if he did.
I wonder if a staggered contract starting at 9 mil and going down would fulfil the QO? Like 9, 7,7,6,4?
You could, but Tkachuk would have to be willing to sign a 5 year $33 contract. At 25 years old heading into your prime I don't see a lot of appetite to take a cut in pay and eat up several UFA years.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think so myself. Maybe not a "cancer" but just over the top , somewhat dramatic , likes to be the center of attention almost and kind of thinks he is a bigger deal than he really is . I think he rubs people the wrong way and the veterans are getting annoyed with it. PO'd the the flamboyant kid is making more $$ than everyone else and likes to play the role. More very annoying than a "cancer"

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
I'm not 100% sure, and I won't bother checking the CBA right now, but IIRC the QO has to be a one year offer. But the team and player can come to an agreement without an actual QO being submitted, if it's done before the QO deadline.

Edit:
Found this on capfriendly:

A qualifying offer is an official Standard Player Contract (SPC) offer which shall be 1 year in length, and which can be subject to salary arbitration should the player be eligible.

Reactions: theguardianII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad