Value of: Flames Fire Sale

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Tkachuk is worth some amount more than Keller. Hayton is worth some amount more than Bennett. I don’t know what the size of the delta is in either case. Being that I’m the one attempting to trigger the movement, I was accepting that the Hayton-Bennett delta is likely notably larger than the Keller-Tkachuk delta. But I’m not sure it’s by an unacceptable amount.
You’d regret that trade imo. Bennett is a 20-30 point guy at best now and Tkachuk is due a 9M qualifying offer. Don’t do it man.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tkachuk isn't for sale
I wonder about MT’s availability. To get two talented young players, like Keller and Hayton, I could see the Flames liking that.
Maybe that’s exactly what the Flames need; a couple young guys with skill and speed injecting energy into their top minute players?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Surprised you didn't add Leivo, Nordstrom, Tanev here either
I don’t find Leivo or Nordstrom holding a lot of value, but I don’t mind then being up there either.

Tanev should be kept. Sutter loves him. If we’re in the same position around the next TDL I’d let him go. Both he and Markstrom deserve better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don’t find Leivo or Nordstrom holding a lot of value, but I don’t mind then being up there either.

Tanev should be kept. Sutter loves him. If we’re in the same position around the next TDL I’d let him go. Both he and Markstrom deserve better.

Leivo, Nordstrom, Ritchie are all guys that teams could grab for 6th, 7th rounders for some playoff depth.

Reactions: CraigsList

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
good luck - it's tougher than you think, unless you're willing to sell low
NYR's re-shuffle was stretched across 3 TDLs
and that was before (absurdly) Flat Cap, and without extenuating factor of Seattle Expansion draft

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
good luck - it's tougher than you think, unless you're willing to sell low
NYR's re-shuffle was stretched across 3 TDLs
and that was before (absurdly) Flat Cap, and without extenuating factor of Seattle Expansion draft
Never said it would be easy, also said in OP we could take cap dumps to alleviate any cap concern(s).

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What kind of value are expected for the likes of Monahan and Giordano (interested in all perspectives here)? I have to wonder if Yzerman wouldn't be interested in those guys for Detroit as insulators and value-flips.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
What kind of value are expected for the likes of Monahan and Giordano (interested in all perspectives here)? I have to wonder if Yzerman wouldn't be interested in those guys for Detroit as insulators and value-flips.
Not much to be honest, Monahan could be had for a 1st or a decent prospect with an expiring contract coming back. Giordano for a 2nd would be fair I think.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not 100% sure the ins and outs of RFA negotiations, but what is his next contract going to look like?

I mean if he's still an RFA making $9million don't you have to qualify him at that after next season?

Tkatchuk is in the same boat as Meier in SJ, He's a good player, but the sole fact that you need to qualify them @ 9 / 10M$ brings there value down A LOT. Tkatchuk doesn't have to sign a multiyear deal if he doesn't like the $$$ amount at the bottom of the page. No chance a team will be able to sign him @ soemthing like 6.5/7 X 7 years when he knows he can get 9M as a QO

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
If I'm the Flames I'm willing to move ANYONE.
If a team is really interested in Tkachuk, move him as you will likely be able to extract great value.
Same as with Hanifin, Gaudreau, etc.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Sutter likes size.
Gaudreau (27 pts, 27 yrs, 5'9") for Reinhart (21 pts, 25 yrs, 6'1")
Ristolainen (8 pts, 26 yrs, 6'4") for Andersson (16 pts, 24 yrs, 6'1")

What the heck, just throwing it out there. Gaudreau hasn't shown well in the playoffs and doesn't really fit Sutter's system, yet, if he can.

Too soon to make a move but the Flames have leaned on two players too long that just were never up to the expectations. Monahan and Gaudreau are just not enough.

There really isn't too much to do except get bigger and more defensive.

Reactions: Nanuuk

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
Sutter likes size.

What the heck, just throwing it out there. Gaudreau hasn't shown well in the playoffs and doesn't really fit Sutter's system, yet, if he can.

Too soon to make a move but the Flames have leaned on two players too long that just were never up to the expectations. Monahan and Gaudreau are just not enough.

Counter offer:

Gaudreau Monahan Andersson 1st

for

Eichel

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Counter offer:

Gaudreau Monahan Andersson 1st

for

Eichel
Andersson isn’t going anywhere... that’s too much coming from Calgary. Gaudreau and Monahan can go, as well as the high ‘21 1st, but Andersson needs to be swapped out for a lesser asset.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If I'm the Flames I'm willing to move ANYONE.
If a team is really interested in Tkachuk, move him as you will likely be able to extract great value.
Same as with Hanifin, Gaudreau, etc.

Why is any team moving "ANYONE". Why would a rebuilding team move guys who 22-24 years old unless even better and younger players are coming back.

I do think the the whole "untouchable" thing is a load of BS. Any player has a price. The price for a player like Tkachuk is a better and younger player who is further back in the development process. So, if you want Tkachuk, you'd better be providing a very very good prospect. Think a recent #1-3 overall.

Reactions: Nanuuk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Sutter likes size.

Sutter likes hard play. Reinhart is tall and lanky and does not play a physical game. In what way is he a typical Sutter player?

Ristolainen would work, but not at the cost of Andersson. Anderssson's overall upside is much higher. Could see a deal around Monohan/Gaudreau though. The Flames move out Monahan/Gaudreau/Gio and bring in Hall, Risto, and RNH.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There is no way the Flames will have a 'fire sale'. They brought Coach Sutter in to win, not supervise a re-build.

There is an old management axiom - "Structure follows Strategy".

If the strategy is to play a heavy defensive game with speed, the Flames will acquire or draft those types of players and players that cannot support that strategy will be on the way out.

Reactions: theguardianII

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There is no way the Flames will have a 'fire sale'. They brought Coach Sutter in to win, not supervise a re-build.

There is an old management axiom - "Structure follows Strategy".

If the strategy is to play a heavy defensive game with speed, the Flames will acquire or draft those types of players and players that cannot support that strategy will be on the way out.

Don't see a rebuild, but a retool for sure. The Flames aren't even in the typical rebuild mode. They have too many good young players for that: Andersson, Valimaki, Tkachuk, and Lindholm. If the Flames went full rebuild, by the time they were done that, their good young players would all have moved on. Scorched Earth rebuilds don't really even work under the new draft rules. The odds of hitting that #1 overall are just poor. Success in the new NHL is about solid asset management, not tanking.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Andersson isn’t going anywhere... that’s too much coming from Calgary. Gaudreau and Monahan can go, as well as the high ‘21 1st, but Andersson needs to be swapped out for a lesser asset.
Lol ya Andersson is not the deal-breaker in a deal for Eichel. Love the guy (my namesake) but if Johnny Money Rasmus 1st is what it takes for Eichel we do that every day

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Tkatchuk is in the same boat as Meier in SJ, He's a good player, but the sole fact that you need to qualify them @ 9 / 10M$ brings there value down A LOT. Tkatchuk doesn't have to sign a multiyear deal if he doesn't like the $$$ amount at the bottom of the page. No chance a team will be able to sign him @ soemthing like 6.5/7 X 7 years when he knows he can get 9M as a QO
That's what I thought.

I can't see there being any market for Tkachuk being qualified at $9million.
I'm not even sure Calgary will entertain signing him for $9million if he's putting up a pro-rated 55 points.

As far as I would guess, Matt Tkachuk is very likely a UFA after next season, or an unmovable boat anchor contract. Crazy considering he's only 24, and his QO's will bring him to UFA.

Almost seems wise that Calgary get a kings ransom for him NOW. That salary structure is going to be horrendous for what he brings to a flat cap league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad